News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Bob
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

#436 Post by Bob » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Bob wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:13 am
There will be another debate if the Adelaide Crows take over the Aquatic Centre, rebuild & expand it to make it their HQ, Club and training grounds.

Personally as a rate payer of ACC I would be all for it, increased activity for North Adelaide, better use of the area than today and probably be better maintained.

Help further justify the North Adelaide tram extension as well, especially if car parking is expanded and allowed for all users.

We have to protect parklands but we also need to put them to get use, a fine balance I know, but the worse thing is extreme positions one way or the other which benefits no one.

Anyhow I can see the next debate looming if the Crows pursue this option.

INDAILY › Annotations
Public won't be consulted on Crows’ park lands build – for now
Adelaide City Council has rejected a call for an immediate public consultation on the Adelaide Crows’ bid to build a multi-million dollar sporting facility in the park lands, after it was argued doing so would constitute a “political stunt”.

The ageing Adelaide Aquatic Centre has been flagged as a potential site for a new Adelaide Crows headquarters.
Councillor Robert Simms last night failed to gain support for public consultation on an unsolicited bid from the Adelaide Football Club to build a “sports and community centre” in Park 2.

The council has confirmed it received an unsolicited bid from the club, with councillor Mary Couros revealing at last night’s meeting that the council had agreed in confidence to progress to the second stage of the proposal.

According to the council, that would involve “detailed consideration of the feasibility of the proposal, how it will be delivered, and whether it represents value for money”.

Talks have slated the city council-owned Adelaide Aquatic Centre – which has long-required costly renovations – as the preferred site for the sporting facility.

However, no firm decision has been made as to where on Park 2 the Crows or council would prefer the facility to be built.

“It was very clear to us when the Crows approached us and asked us whether we’d align with the bid to put their headquarters in North Adelaide,” Couros told the council chamber.

“In the meeting we all agreed that they could go ahead and progress with Stage 2.”

Council’s director of services Steve Mathewson confirmed that the council had resolved to continue considering the proposal.

The Advertiser reported last month that the Adelaide Football Club wanted to spend $60 million to build a “state-of-the-art training and administration facility in North Adelaide”, after the Federal Government pledged $15 million towards the project.

“The Adelaide proposal gives the possibility for an all-new modern aquatic centre and fitness facility to be built in North Adelaide servicing the broader Adelaide community,” South Australian senator Simon Birmingham said in the report.

Simms told last night’s meeting that the current progress of the bid and the looming federal election warranted an immediate public consultation.

“The park lands shouldn’t be used as a pawn in the federal election campaign,” he said.

“In the height of the politics that will come with the federal election, I think it’s really, really critical that we take pause and we consult with our community before this is progressed any further.”

But fellow councillors Houssam Abiad and Alexander Hyde slammed Simms’ proposal as a “political stunt”.

They said the proposal before the council did not have enough detail to warrant a community consultation.

They also said the public would still be guaranteed a consultation at a later stage in the bid process.

“What this motion will do is just set out a frenzy for no reason whatsoever,” Abiad said.

“We will set out on a witch hunt, nothing else.”

Hyde said Simms’ proposal was “grossly irresponsible”, but he said he was opposed to the Crows building an “aberration” on the park lands.

Council’s CEO Mark Goldstone told the chamber the council was yet to receive a detailed proposal or business case from the Adelaide Football Club.

He confirmed the council would eventually consult with the public.

“We will consult with the community when we have enough detail so the community can make an informed decision,” he said.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2019/ ... d-for-now/

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#437 Post by SRW » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 pm

I refuse to give my money to NewsCorpse so can't read it, but there's a headline today that I believe indicates $20 million has finally been allocated to deliver the Whitmore Square masterplan.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#438 Post by Jaymz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:15 pm

From todays Advertiser..... apologies, but not sure how to post the pics in the article.

"Tired and outdated Whitmore Square earmarked for $20m upgrade
Celeste Villani, City Editor, The City
April 17, 2019 11:03am

Masterplan being developed for Whitmore Sq upgrade
New life coming to Adelaide’s southwest city corner
A city square that is “underperforming” and reflects a “different era” will be upgraded under a $20 million plan to attract more visitors and cater for the growing number of people living in apartments.

Adelaide City Council has released a masterplan to rejuvenate Whitmore Square and turn it into a “welcoming and safe heart of the southwest community”.

Improvements would include a better basketball half-court, more lighting and plants, table-tennis tables, walking paths, toilets and, possibly a water feature.

The council has allocated $800,000 towards safety upgrades at Whitmore Square in its next budget, which is yet to go out for consultation.

“The square has clear strengths as a green space, but equally, key issues that mean the square is underperforming for its community,” it said.

“The square reflects a different era with ageing assets that are in need of renewal.”

A council report said works would make the square a popular choice for community events as well as meet demand from residents for more “quality” open space.

As part of the plan, the council will also investigate a number of traffic upgrades, including zebra crossings or traffic lights at Morphett, Wright and Sturt streets, and would require discussions with the State Government.

The corners on the square’s southern side will be realigned and tightened to slow motorists and increase its size.

Council said the $20 million figure was an estimated amount that would be spent over years. The masterplan will allow council to seek external funding to deliver the upgrades and manage ad-hoc decisions and requests.

Cr Robert Simms said traffic management had to be a priority because it was a “burning issue” for people who live in the area.

Cr Anne Moran supported the upgrade, but said the council had to be mindful that the square was not turned into just an event space.

“This is a very dense residential area ... it is also in an area that had a lot of aid agencies and foreign students, so it has to cater for (all of their) outdoor needs,” she said.

“I don’t think we need to go too far and build a mini function centre in the middle, all we need to do is provide toilets and a lovely outdoor setting where people can recreate.”

Deputy Lord Mayor Houssam Abiad was in favour of the masterplan, but thought the overall plan was a bit too “full on”.

“Make it simple … a community square needs to be community focused,” Mr Abiad said.

The plan will go before the council next week.

If it is accepted, it would “liaise with state government regarding potential funding partnership”, the report said.

The council has been contacted about timing of the project."

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#439 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 pm

A necessary upgrade! However I find it a little ironic that the the ACC haven't found the funds to complete the remainder of the Victoria Square masterplan (a square that is literally the heart of the CBD) but meanwhile are moving forward to spend $20m on Whitmore Square....

Why not further fund upgrades to Vic Square (knowing that the state government won't because they're pushing the festival plaza development) and then shake the state government for funds to upgrade Whitmore Square?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#440 Post by ml69 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:45 pm

[quote=SRW post_id=179625 time=1555499674 user_id=1217]
I refuse to give my money to NewsCorpse so can't read it, but there's a headline today that I believe indicates $20 million has finally been allocated to deliver the Whitmore Square masterplan.
[/quote]
I don’t support this at all. Spending that kind of money on Whitmore Sq is a waste.

If there is $20M on the table for parklands improvements, it should be spent on the Torrens riverbank precinct between KW Street and Morphett Street, to make it into the riverfront showcase it deserves to be.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#441 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:14 am

ml69 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:45 pm
SRW wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 pm
I don’t support this at all. Spending that kind of money on Whitmore Sq is a waste.

If there is $20M on the table for parklands improvements, it should be spent on the Torrens riverbank precinct between KW Street and Morphett Street, to make it into the riverfront showcase it deserves to be.
I don't think it should be either/or. In the first place, the article says the money will be spent over years through ordinary budgeting, which is an appropriate way to enact a masterplan. In my view, the masterplan is a template for what should ultimately be done to the other squares but fortunately faces less barriers to getting off the ground. Once it's achieved, hopefully the arguments against minimising road space in other squares can be mitigated through its example. Secondly, I agree about the riverbank needing attention -- particularly the abysmally maintained Elder Park -- but I think that really is a state government responsibility now that they've pretty much divested the area to their Riverbank Authority.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#442 Post by Ben » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:24 am

Finish the Victoria Square Master plan first! This council is like a sugared up child, from one project to the next without completing the prior one first.

I agree it could be spruced up but $20m is also extensive and excessive (IMO) for that part of the city at this point in time.

Nort

#443 Post by Nort » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:30 am

Ben wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:24 am
Finish the Victoria Square Master plan first! This council is like a sugared up child, from one project to the next without completing the prior one first.

I agree it could be spruced up but $20m is also extensive and excessive (IMO) for that part of the city at this point in time.
It's amazing how many people are responding without having read the article which was quoted just a few posts ago.

Spoiler: They aren't spending $20m on it now, they are spending $800,000 on safety upgrades that are well justified given the development going on around Whitmore and the general state of the square, with that full budget cost being a projection for what the masterplan would require over many years if funding can be found.

[Shuz]

#444 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:28 am

Far better things the council could be spending $20m on. The square is fine as it is now. There's several streets and footpaths in need of an upgrade than this park.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#445 Post by rev » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Bob wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:13 am
There will be another debate if the Adelaide Crows take over the Aquatic Centre, rebuild & expand it to make it their HQ, Club and training grounds.

Personally as a rate payer of ACC I would be all for it, increased activity for North Adelaide, better use of the area than today and probably be better maintained.

Help further justify the North Adelaide tram extension as well, especially if car parking is expanded and allowed for all users.

We have to protect parklands but we also need to put them to get use, a fine balance I know, but the worse thing is extreme positions one way or the other which benefits no one.

Anyhow I can see the next debate looming if the Crows pursue this option.
So a private business taking control of parklands and a publicly accessible aquatic center is better use? lmfao wow

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#446 Post by SRW » Fri May 31, 2019 5:34 pm

Short article about the potential machinations of the Crows takeover of the aquatic centre: https://www.adelaidereview.com.au/featu ... Newsletter

Tbh, if it's fait accompli that the Crows will get their hands on some parklands, I'd rather the aquatic centre be returned to public space and the Crows given lease over an area that's more conveniently/centrally located so that it can better benefit the surrounding area/businesses. I mentioned 88 O'Connell already, but alternatively the space next Morphett Street bridge/railyards could suffice -- especially if a FINA-compliant aquatic centre was part of the proposal (unlikely, but they are getting $15 million federal money plus free land, so it's a fair demand). As a runner up, the corner of O'Connel & Barton Tce to contribute to North Adelaide's Main Street and interconnect with the potential ProspectLINK.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Waewick

#447 Post by Waewick » Fri May 31, 2019 5:54 pm

That is one of the stupidest things i have ever read.

I genuinely feel stupider from reading it

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#448 Post by SRW » Fri May 31, 2019 10:29 pm

Waewick wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:54 pm
That is one of the stupidest things i have ever read.

I genuinely feel stupider from reading it
Gee, what a pity for you.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly

#449 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:06 am

The Crows can and should stay at West Lakes.

I am not willing to see my tax money prop up a new headquarters for a franchise that makes close to $50 million a year in turnover.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#450 Post by how good is he » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:39 pm

I think it may be too late for that and for you to have a say... see article below from 31/3/19

Federal budget boost for Adelaide Crows

The Adelaide Crows are to get $15 million from the federal government to help establish a new headquarters in the city centre.

Football in South Australia will share a $21 million funding boost from the federal government, with most of the cash going to AFL club Adelaide Crows.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said the government will provide $15 million to support the development of a new home for the Crows in the city centre.

The remaining $6 million will be spent on redeveloping the suburban Thebarton Oval into a multi-purpose sporting facility.