News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
A-Town
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3001 Post by A-Town » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:41 pm

Ben wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:46 pm
I went there on the weekend but was very underwhelmed. The cafe only had a few muffins while Bam Bam which I really wanted to try charged between $19 and $27 for some fried chicken so that was a big no. I think its poorly designed personally. We ended up going to Jamaica Blue in Myer centre which isn't amazing by any means but did offer a lot of choice at reasonable prices.
Interesting. I had 6 pieces of fried chicken for $6.90 from there which was the set price on their menu (with sauce too). The cafe next door to Bam Bam does excellent coffee too, highly recommend it for anyone checking out the vicinity.

But yes, overall patronage does seem to be lower than what I would have hoped. I think it needs to be better promoted, it's a really nice area that many casual shoppers wouldn't know about.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3002 Post by Ben » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:46 pm

A-Town wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:41 pm
Ben wrote:
I went there on the weekend but was very underwhelmed. The cafe only had a few muffins while Bam Bam which I really wanted to try charged between $19 and $27 for some fried chicken so that was a big no. I think its poorly designed personally. We ended up going to Jamaica Blue in Myer centre which isn't amazing by any means but did offer a lot of choice at reasonable prices.
Interesting. I had 6 pieces of fried chicken for $6.90 from there which was the set price on their menu (with sauce too). The cafe next door to Bam Bam does excellent coffee too, highly recommend it for anyone checking out the vicinity.

But yes, overall patronage does seem to be lower than what I would have hoped. I think it needs to be better promoted, it's a really nice area that many casual shoppers wouldn't know about.
Maybe I read the menu wrong or there is a different one for weekends but I didn’t see anything on the menu like that. I’ll make an effort to go back and have a look because I did really want to try it.

On a side note no announcement about the just jeans site as yet.

The yum cha in city cross where the Mexican place uses to be has hoarding up all around now and also hoarding up around the old Mecca. Hopefully work is starting on getting some exciting new tenants.

Edit found the menu. It was the boneless chicken I was talking about. Pretty crazy prices.
Attachments
3CD97462-2271-4EC8-B688-5C62B2463818.png

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3003 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 pm

Ben wrote:Abbots & Kinney are opening at 229 North Terrace.
Nice! One within striking distance for weekday lunch. Do hope they’re not expanding to quickly though - it hasn’t been long since the UniSA store and certainly the Queen St store opened.

Nathan

#3004 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:19 pm

A-Town wrote:
Ben wrote:
Yeah, the boneless chicken sets aren’t really aimed at one person but rather to be shared. The rice sets (2 drumsticks or 5 wings, plus rice and coleslaw) are the proper one person lunch option.

ghs

#3005 Post by ghs » Tue May 07, 2019 9:07 am

Paul's warehouse on West Terrace has closed down. I am not surprised to see it closed. The rent must
have been huge given the size of the place. Honestly I don't what goes through the mind of some business
people in this city. You can only bring in so much money by selling sneakers and sports clothes.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3006 Post by SRW » Tue May 07, 2019 11:11 am

It'd be great to see the Freedom apartment proposal revived (with a better design) for the site, as it would make such a dramatic improvement to a primary city gateway.
Keep Adelaide Weird

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#3007 Post by floplo » Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Does anyone know if the Caltex gas station on Hutt Street is renovating, closing for good, or getting turned into something else ?

It has been fenced and they are removing the shop furniture, etc

Stefan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3008 Post by Stefan » Tue May 07, 2019 4:40 pm

Just saw an ad on seek looking for an assistant store manager for Sephora’s first South Australian location. Any ideas where?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3009 Post by SRW » Tue May 07, 2019 5:35 pm

I'm pretty sure the Strandbags site is due to open up, and it was rumoured Mecca were considering it, so that would make sense. I would expect the Just Jeans site is too small. Otherwise, Burnside wouldn't be completely surprising. I only hope it's not City Cross, because I've got my fingers crossed for a new major (Uniqlo or Zara) there.
Keep Adelaide Weird

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#3010 Post by cmet » Tue May 07, 2019 6:20 pm

ghs wrote:Paul's warehouse on West Terrace has closed down. I am not surprised to see it closed. The rent must
have been huge given the size of the place. Honestly I don't what goes through the mind of some business
people in this city. You can only bring in so much money by selling sneakers and sports clothes.
I mean it was open for years and years. There must have been some success.

ghs

#3011 Post by ghs » Tue May 07, 2019 6:43 pm

cmet wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:20 pm
ghs wrote:Paul's warehouse on West Terrace has closed down. I am not surprised to see it closed. The rent must
I mean it was open for years and years. There must have been some success.
Only a couple of years. It wasn't that long ago that freedom furniture closed down. Paul's warehouse has stores interstate
as well. The warehouse here in adelaide could have been propped up by more profitable stores interstate. They were a dodgy operator,
I remember them saying that they're having a closing down sale about 18 months ago and then it was going to be re-open
as some international shop which was slightly different.

Faulkick
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3012 Post by Faulkick » Fri May 10, 2019 1:32 pm

So I heard that Sephora is opening in Adelaide, apparently they haven’t confirmed where but are hiring staff?

Does anyone know more about this or where it may be?

gingernuts
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3013 Post by gingernuts » Mon May 13, 2019 9:17 am

Last I heard that Sephora may go where Strandbags is now on the corner of Gawler. I note that the tenancy next door to it on Rundle Mall is empty now too so it could be a large space if they decide to combine.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3014 Post by how good is he » Mon May 13, 2019 10:14 am

What about the former BKNR [Australian Fashion labels] site on the corner of Rundle Mall & Pulteney St - opp. Target?

The Scooter Guy

#3015 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon May 13, 2019 7:23 pm

What's going to happen with Jasper's at the railway station now that it has been closed?
And Shunters is being gutted too.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/