The Federal Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: The Federal Politics Thread

#526 Post by SRW » Tue May 07, 2019 11:02 am

Just regarding the Senate vote, if you're so inclined, I'd highly advocate looking specifically at each of the party candidates and vote for them according to your preference below the line (numbering up to at least 12 to be valid). Where the majors place their candidates for order of election comes down to factional backing. For instance, the Liberals have Alex Antic who many of us will remember from the the city council -- he's a factional hack in politics solely for the game of it. Lucy Gichuhi deserves to be ranked higher than him. Similarly, Emily Gore and Marielle Smith are more credentialed than Alex Gallacher and deserve to be higher ranked on the Labor ticket.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#527 Post by rev » Tue May 07, 2019 11:24 am

SRW wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:02 am
Just regarding the Senate vote, if you're so inclined, I'd highly advocate looking specifically at each of the party candidates and vote for them according to your preference below the line (numbering up to at least 12 to be valid). Where the majors place their candidates for order of election comes down to factional backing. For instance, the Liberals have Alex Antic who many of us will remember from the the city council -- he's a factional hack in politics solely for the game of it. Lucy Gichuhi deserves to be ranked higher than him. Similarly, Emily Gore and Marielle Smith are more credentialed than Alex Gallacher and deserve to be higher ranked on the Labor ticket.
Sadly the majority of people don't know and wont know these finer details about the candidates, because the media prefers to focus on whose been photographed naked, whose been filmed at a strip club, whose doing what and with who in their personal lives, working with foreign media and shady locals behind the scenes to influence political outcomes in hit pieces, rather then focusing on the positives and negatives of each party and candidate in regards to the election and the job they are asking us to vote them in to.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#528 Post by Jaymz » Tue May 07, 2019 11:38 am

Yep, and further to Rev's comment above. It's sad but true that if you asked a majority of Australians these days about who they're voting for in the election, they would say "Scott Morrison" , or "Bill Shorten" for instance. When in actual fact they'll be voting for their local memebr, most of whom would have zero idea on what they stand for.

Our elections have been becoming more and more like a U.S Presidential style of campaign over the past couple of decades.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#529 Post by claybro » Tue May 07, 2019 12:13 pm

rev wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:24 am
Sadly the majority of people don't know and wont know these finer details about the candidates, because the media prefers to focus on whose been photographed naked, whose been filmed at a strip club, whose doing what and with who in their personal lives, working with foreign media and shady locals behind the scenes to influence political outcomes in hit pieces, rather then focusing on the positives and negatives of each party and candidate in regards to the election and the job they are asking us to vote them in to.
Have to agree here, and as stupid as the actions and words of some of the One Nation candidates have been, I'm surprised more people aren't alarmed that a media outlet, run by a foreign government has been allowed to have such an influence at election time. Interesting timing of these stories to say the least. I doubt the Qatari government would take too kindly to the ABC exposing some of the dodgy dealings there on their own media network, at election time- if indeed they have open elections.

SBD

#530 Post by SBD » Tue May 07, 2019 12:16 pm

Smart Vote seems to be lacking some smarts. It also suggested I'd match Mark Aldridge. I plan to number all the boxes below the line specifically because he is a candidate.

If anyone is considering voting for members of Palmer's or Hanson's parties, they really need to look at the candidates, as history shows that most of them will have split from the party during their terms. It's probably the same (but without the history) for any party dominated by a single person.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#531 Post by SRW » Tue May 07, 2019 12:47 pm

Yeah, apologies. Smartvote appears to have been somewhat skewed by which of the parties have actually responded to questions and has taken their answers at face value. Aldridge is nothing if not a schemer.

And very true. Xenophon in his time had his fair share of misfits. But Palmer and Hanson are untrustworthy and incompetent idiots par excellence.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rhino

#532 Post by rhino » Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 pm

I've just been notified by the ALP that some time today the millionth pre-poll vote will be cast.
Pre-poll voting records have been smashed this year, with 2 weeks still to go until the election.
cheers,
Rhino

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#533 Post by SRW » Tue May 07, 2019 1:50 pm

rhino wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 pm
I've just been notified by the ALP that some time today the millionth pre-poll vote will be cast.
Pre-poll voting records have been smashed this year, with 2 weeks still to go until the election.
It'll be interesting to see what it means when it all comes out in the wash. You'd suspect it means people have already made up their mind strongly for either change or status quo, and want it over and done with so they can go back to ignoring politics.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev

#534 Post by rev » Tue May 07, 2019 2:39 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:50 pm
rhino wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 pm
It'll be interesting to see what it means when it all comes out in the wash. You'd suspect it means people have already made up their mind strongly for either change or status quo, and want it over and done with so they can go back to ignoring politics.
I think also a lot of people are fed up with the same promises, the same BS from all the politicians, and have the opinion that doesn't matter whether they vote or not, or whether they vote a month in advance or on the day, same outcomes, same BS..

bits
Legendary Member!

#535 Post by bits » Tue May 07, 2019 4:53 pm

rev wrote: whether they vote a month in advance or on the day, same outcomes, same BS..
I think it is that we live in an on demand world.
We shop 24/7 online, can't go 2 days without all our favourite stores open, we watch TV shows and movies on our own schedule, we book chauffeured vehicles on our own schedule not when a call centre answers and we can communicate with anyone immediately directly at all times.

The idea that there is some big date and time everyone needs to wait for to complete the same task is completely foreign these days.

rev

#536 Post by rev » Wed May 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Lol Labor are promising to explore ways to keep ship building jobs in SA. Theyll have a big summit.
More lazy promises.

And an even bigger LOL at Shortens crocodile tears.
Hanson's tears at being constantly targetted and attacked was called crocodile tears, but Shorten crying because NewsCorp questioned why some finer details about the story he told about his mum? This emotionally weak closet communist wants to run this country (into the ground)...

or..is he a dishonest and deceptive character??

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#537 Post by SRW » Wed May 08, 2019 5:21 pm

rev wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:12 pm
Lol Labor are promising to explore ways to keep ship building jobs in SA. Theyll have a big summit.
More lazy promises.

Hanson's tears at being constantly targetted and attacked was called crocodile tears, but Shorten crying because NewsCorp questioned why some finer details about the story he told about his mum? This emotionally weak closet communist wants to run this country (into the ground)...

You're pretty blinded by hate if that's how you see the state of play. Shame.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort

#538 Post by Nort » Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 pm

Even Morrison agreed that it was right for Shorten to stand up and say no.

rev

#539 Post by rev » Wed May 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 pm
Even Morrison agreed that it was right for Shorten to stand up and say no.
Morrison also said Shortens mum is irrelevant to the election.
Whats your point? Besides your obvious pathetic online stalking/trolling.

Keep stalking me, eventually Im going to take matters beyond the sites admins/mods, as Ive told them.

rev

#540 Post by rev » Wed May 08, 2019 5:41 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:21 pm
rev wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:12 pm
More lazy promises.

You're pretty blinded by hate if that's how you see the state of play. Shame.
How many more promises will we get re ship building?

Why should I care about Shortens fake tears, because he faced a bit of scrutiny?
If he didn't want some irrelevant story about his mother scrutinized he shouldn't have tried to use it to win voters over.

I want to know what he plans on doing to create jobs, not what he plans on doing to decide what to do to create jobs, and I certainly don't want to hear about his mother.

You arent bothered by the bias in the media, regarding his tears amd Hanson's tears?
The media needs to be impartial and provide a neutral account of all parties.