News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2401 Post by Eurostar » Thu May 30, 2019 9:17 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:50 pm
Saltwater wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:14 pm
I think even if a second Adelaide airport ever took off (pun intended), ADL would likely remain in use for some domestic flights where business travellers prefer the proximity to the CBD, similar to how London City Airport operates very close to Docklands and central London.
Adelaide Airport is in a great location, but it's not open 24/7 and people complain about the noise. One of the reasons for Globelink was to operate 24/7. Other airports around the world have curfews too, so to fly to/from those airports during their opening hours, it is advantageous for an airport here to operate 24/7.

That's why I think Adelaide Airport should have the passenger traffic, but anything else should go to another airport.
Plenty of land at Gillman

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2402 Post by Ho Really » Thu May 30, 2019 9:55 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:17 pm

Plenty of land at Gillman
We've had this argument before. Perhaps check a few years back in this thread or elsewhere on the forum.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

SBD

#2403 Post by SBD » Thu May 30, 2019 11:25 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Saltwater wrote:
I think even if a second Adelaide airport ever took off (pun intended), ADL would likely remain in use for some domestic flights where business travellers prefer the proximity to the CBD, similar to how London City Airport operates very close to Docklands and central London.
Adelaide Airport is in a great location, but it's not open 24/7 and people complain about the noise. One of the reasons for Globelink was to operate 24/7. Other airports around the world have curfews too, so to fly to/from those airports during their opening hours, it is advantageous for an airport here to operate 24/7.

That's why I think Adelaide Airport should have the passenger traffic, but anything else should go to another airport.
Like Adelaide, Edinburgh already has noise complaints and constraints about operating to/from the southern end of the runway (over Burton). I'd expect that if it (the runway) ever opened for commercial traffic, it would have constraints similar to what Adelaide has now. Any provision for occasional out-of-hours operations would be held by the military, not shared with airlines.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2404 Post by OlympusAnt » Fri May 31, 2019 6:04 pm

You seriously think that Adelaide needs two airports? We get 8 million passengers a year and you think a second airport is required? :applause: :applause:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#2405 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Fri May 31, 2019 8:47 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:25 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Saltwater wrote:

Like Adelaide, Edinburgh already has noise complaints and constraints about operating to/from the southern end of the runway (over Burton). I'd expect that if it (the runway) ever opened for commercial traffic, it would have constraints similar to what Adelaide has now. Any provision for occasional out-of-hours operations would be held by the military, not shared with airlines.
Then use runway 36 as the default. Aircraft will be flying over farmland when taking off. https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.686238 ... a=!3m1!1e3
OlympusAnt wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:04 pm
You seriously think that Adelaide needs two airports? We get 8 million passengers a year and you think a second airport is required? :applause: :applause:
Not based on passenger numbers. The point of the second airport is to be open 24/7 and reduce noise over Adelaide.

I don't think it's worthwhile building a whole new airport for this. However, adding a cargo terminal to RAAF Base Edinburgh makes the Globelink idea much more feasible because it wouldn't cost anywhere near as much.

SBD

#2406 Post by SBD » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:32 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:47 pm
SBD wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:25 pm
Then use runway 36 as the default. Aircraft will be flying over farmland when taking off. https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.686238 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Night landings are often on runway 18 (I see them on final approach). I haven't noticed which way they take off. Landings on 18 and takeoffs on 36 would make fairly serious capacity constraints. Possibly there are constraints based on airspace conflicts with Parafield or Adelaide for runway 36 approaches?

EBG

#2407 Post by EBG » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:57 pm

You all seem to be forgetting that Sydney airport is not open 24/7.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2408 Post by OlympusAnt » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:37 am

How many cargo flights do we get? The tiny amount we get doesn't justify a second airport just for the sake of it.
Follow me on Flickr

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2409 Post by rev » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:21 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:37 am
How many cargo flights do we get? The tiny amount we get doesn't justify a second airport just for the sake of it.
There's a lot of it that gets sent on commercial international flights. I wouldn't say its enough to justify an entire airport for it.

SBD

#2410 Post by SBD » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:58 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:21 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:
There's a lot of it that gets sent on commercial international flights. I wouldn't say its enough to justify an entire airport for it.
I believe that some aircraft are exempt from the curfew and are permitted to carry interstate freight such as mail order parcels during curfew hours. Not all airfreight is bulk export/import. International mail is probably in the cargo hold of passenger aircraft.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#2411 Post by Listy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:38 am

EBG wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:57 pm
You all seem to be forgetting that Sydney airport is not open 24/7.
Even Heathrow has a similar curfew to Adelaide. There are no strong legal barriers preventing Heathrow operating 24/7, it's mostly operational choice, despite how busy the airport is. Curfews are a little bit symbolic - it give local residents reassurance that they wont have their sleep disturbed, but airports are normally pretty quiet between 12-6am anyway - for safety flights are scheduled to avoid takeoffs/landings during the window of circadian low if possible, and you need a few hours each day to perform housekeeping tasks around the airport like cleaning & maintenance.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2412 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:48 am

rev wrote:
OlympusAnt wrote:
We haven't seen a Cathay Cargo aircraft for years. When went to Europe I saw heaps of cargo crates being loaded onto the passenger A330.
Follow me on Flickr

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2413 Post by ml69 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:02 am

OlympusAnt wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:48 am
rev wrote:
OlympusAnt wrote:
We haven't seen a Cathay Cargo aircraft for years. When went to Europe I saw heaps of cargo crates being loaded onto the passenger A330.
This is the stupid thing about the whole Globelink plan. If a large amount of freight is sent on commercial aircraft you can’t shift that to the new freight airport anyway!

Patrick_27

#2414 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:10 pm

Dare I say it, the airport component of Globelink was just a fluffy addition to make the whole thing look more impressive than what it actually was. The important parts of it are/were the road/rail freight diversions out of suburban Adelaide. When you consider how many road projects are taken to state/federal elections, people lose track of what is what (unless of course they're well versed on the topic, such as the people on SA) whereas you throw a fancy looking freight airport into the mix and people click with it and are able to differentiate and identify Globelink because "Hey look, a new airport for freight!" Some or all of you might disagree, but it seems to be more just a marketing gimmick.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#2415 Post by Bob » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:31 am

A second airport dedicated to freight is not supported by SA export data by $$$ value. Cant see Infrastructure Australia given it much priority.

SA exports are down to 2.25% of Australia’s exports by value and very little of that is air freighted in dedicated cargo planes.

Main SA exports by value and export mode:
Minerals & Refined metals (copper/lead/iron etc) railed and shipped
Wine – small pallet loads in passenger planes, large container loads shipped
Cereal crops – shipped
Live animals – shipped
Processed small foods – meat, fruit, nuts etc mostly small regular shipments in passenger plane cargo holds.

So what is left that will require dedicated freight planes to justify a major new airport at Monarto as proposed in Globelink? Very little, can’t grow more in Murray Basin as water allocations for irrigation will probably be reduced further. Doesn't make sense.