News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2416 Post by OlympusAnt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:23 pm

The only cargo flights we get are for mail and some livestock on MASKargo
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2417 Post by ml69 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:28 am

Bob wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:31 am
A second airport dedicated to freight is not supported by SA export data by $$$ value. Cant see Infrastructure Australia given it much priority.

SA exports are down to 2.25% of Australia’s exports by value and very little of that is air freighted in dedicated cargo planes.

Main SA exports by value and export mode:
Minerals & Refined metals (copper/lead/iron etc) railed and shipped
Wine – small pallet loads in passenger planes, large container loads shipped
Cereal crops – shipped
Live animals – shipped
Processed small foods – meat, fruit, nuts etc mostly small regular shipments in passenger plane cargo holds.

So what is left that will require dedicated freight planes to justify a major new airport at Monarto as proposed in Globelink? Very little, can’t grow more in Murray Basin as water allocations for irrigation will probably be reduced further. Doesn't make sense.
Sounds like our main infrastructure need is fast road access to Outer Harbor and the Airport. Which the North-South Motorwsy delivers. However a fast SE Freeway to N-S Motorway connection will become critical once the N-S Motorway is complete.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#2418 Post by Bob » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:54 am

[/quote]
Sounds like our main infrastructure need is fast road access to Outer Harbor and the Airport. Which the North-South Motorwsy delivers. However a fast SE Freeway to N-S Motorway connection will become critical once the N-S Motorway is complete.
[/quote]

Totally agree – a NS MW to SE FW link at grade separated MW standard, is the easier way to deliver the interstate and regional road freight route in and thu Adelaide.

Drop the freight airport idea at Monarto and put a case forward to Infrastructure Australia for $$$ to be spent on the road link instead.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2419 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:44 am

I think they could make it cheaper by making trucks bypass the hills along the Globe Link route and then heading down the Northern Expressway and Port River Expressway rather than building expensive and intrusive freeways in the suburbs to connect to a congested North-South Corridor. Leave that one for the poor sods on the Fleurieu.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#2420 Post by Bob » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:13 pm

From Evan Knapp - Executive Officer - SA Freight Council the other month in SAFC newsletter:

Executive Officer’s note: Globelink 2 years on
While it might seem like just the blink of an eye ago, Globelink was first proposed by the (now) Marshall Liberal Government 2 years and two months ago.

A lot has changed in that time.

The initial 4 projects that SAFC firmly rejected at the time have moderated into a ‘reference case’ for testing in a $1.8 million dollar study being undertaken by KPMG and AECOM on behalf of the state government. Other options are being investigated – and we thank the government for listening to our concerns.

To ensure that SAFC continues to represent it’s members and the broader transport industry on this project, we recently undertook a survey to test current views and determine what industry’s priorities are for freight and logistics improvements in the greater Adelaide region (the Globelink focus area) once the North South Corridor is complete.

The headline results were clear:

Industry’s views on the initial 4 projects have not changed – and are firmly against. The Monarto airport element remains the most vehemently opposed.
Industry overwhelmingly believes that governments should only be funding freight infrastructure with a positive Benefit Cost Ratio.
While many issues were raised that could be addressed through a revised Globelink, there was strong support for attention to the linking elements between the SE Freeway and the North South Corridor (once complete) – whether via Cross Road or via other means.
Thanks to all who responded to the survey. You can be assured the Executive Committee will be digging extensively into the detail at its next meeting, and that the opinions expressed will form the basis for our advocacy and lobbying efforts going forward.

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2421 Post by rubberman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:11 pm

Construction progress at Adelaide Airport.
20190609_160634.jpg
Sorry about the fuzziness, but it was taken through a rain spattered window.

Patrick_27

#2422 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:44 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:11 pm
Construction progress at Adelaide Airport. 20190609_160634.jpg

Sorry about the fuzziness, but it was taken through a rain spattered window.
Considering the method in which they are building this and that it's not that big of an extension, I'm surprised by the price tag of this development..

Ho Really

#2423 Post by Ho Really » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:54 pm

About time we've come back to what this thread is all about, the Adelaide Airport and Airlines. If you guys want to rave on about Globelink etc., do it under another topic.

Cheers

P.S. Good pic rubberman considering.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2424 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:40 pm

Qantas will be operating a scheduled SYD-ADL and ADL-SYD service in November on a Boeing 747-400.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-in-nw19/

I understand this is due to the Antarctica charter taking place from Adelaide around this time.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2425 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Amazing how quick things can be built when its on Commonwealth land :applause: :applause:

New terminal is gonna be good. Hopefully I can try it out when its complete.
Follow me on Flickr

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2426 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:13 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:47 pm
Amazing how quick things can be built when its on Commonwealth land :applause: :applause:

I'd suggest it's less to do with it being Commonwealth land and more to do with a good business case and the ripe finances of the airport corporation's monopoly.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ghs

#2427 Post by ghs » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:35 am

SRW wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:13 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:

I'd suggest it's less to do with it being Commonwealth land and more to do with a good business case and the ripe finances of the airport corporation's monopoly.
This is true. Adelaide airport charge taxi and uber drivers quite a lot for pickups. Each passenger also has to pay a $3 surcharge.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#2428 Post by Westside » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:18 pm

ghs wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:35 am
SRW wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:13 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:

This is true. Adelaide airport charge taxi and uber drivers quite a lot for pickups. Each passenger also has to pay a $3 surcharge.
Close, but not quite. Taxis and ubers are charged $3 for each trip when they pickup from AAL, which is passed on to the customer. It's not a per person deal. This is on par with most airports around the country.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2429 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:05 pm

The $3 is only charged when pick ups are done from the main ranks. You could in theory hail a taxi from outside this to avoid the fee. The AAL people don't like seeing you do that.
Follow me on Flickr

ChillyPhilly

#2430 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:05 pm

Or just get an Ola, save yourself some money and let the driver take home more than $5.

Ola also do flat fees to and from Adelaide Airport.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.