[VIS] New Womens and Childrens Hospital

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#76 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:53 am

I think it's the wrong decision on the location. In the short term it will visually wall off the area and remove the most accessible green space to RAH patients/visitors; and in the long term, restrict any future expansion of the RAH if required. Really should have chosen the Newmarket corner, despite the added difficulty of the connection to the RAH. (Also agreed that it would have been better for activity in the West End. Would have also vastly improved what is — heritage hotel on the corner aside — a pretty terrible block to mark the entrance to the city and the "health and biomedical precinct".

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#77 Post by rev » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:14 pm

There's heaps of room for the RAH to be expanded over the train lines if the need ever arises.

The Newmarket hotel site is too small for a hospital unless they'd buy up McDonalds and all the other businesses surrounding it between Gray & Hindley streets. And then, as you guys mention, what about future expansion, where would they expand?
The RAH could be expanded north over the train lines towards the torrens, and the nWCH could be expanded west over the train lines towards the police barracks.

Next to RAH makes more sense, because the roads and tram intersection is already configured for access. Which ever direction you are coming from you have ease of access to it.
That stretch of West Terrace is already busy enough with three sets of traffic lights, on the other side North Terrace you have the wide tram stop. Add traffic lights just after it near Gray street, what a nightmare that would be. And access would definitely have to be from North or West Terrace, because Hindley and Gray streets wouldn't be able to handle the extra volume.

Llessur2002

#78 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Adelaide’s replacement Women’s and Children’s Hospital gets $550m in initial funding — and a delayed completion date

A “down payment” of $550 million for a new Women’s and Children’s Hospital adjoining the Royal Adelaide Hospital aims to get the project underway for completion by 2025-26.

However, the final cost of the project will not be known until a business case is finalised later this year and it will be finished later than 2024 as originally envisaged.

There is speculation the cost will be around $1.5 billion, and Mr Lucas described the $550 million as a down payment.

“We don’t know yet what the final estimated cost will be,” he said. “We will work though that process in the coming months.”

Health and Wellbeing Minister Stephen Wade said the project would involve clinicians, consumers and key stakeholders.

The proposed design of the new Women's and Children's Hospital.

“This will be a state of the art, world-class hospital for families but we are also determined it will deliver value for the taxpayer,” he said.

“We have already collaborated with a range of experts so far and we are committed to continuing with a consultative process as we work towards the detailed planning phase.

“We are also committed to continuing to work with our frontline doctors and nurses to ensure we give them the right tools to provide world-class care well into the future.”

As well as cash for the hospital, the Budget has $537 million in new expenditure.

It also has $264 million previously announced for stage 3 of The Queen Elizabeth Hospital redevelopment and $97 million for Modbury Hospital for upgrades and new services, including a new acute surgical ward for complex elective surgery, and acute medical unit and a palliative care facility.

An artist’s impression showing the planned location for the new Women's and Children's Hospital — immediately west of the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

The Budget also commits $69.1 million over four years to reactive the Repatriation General Hospital site as a health precinct, including $30 million from the Federal Government.

Other new spending initiatives were relatively modest, against a background of SA Health overspending its 2018-19 budget by an estimated $95 million. Five million dollars was set aside for a statewide eating disorder service at the Repat site.

Another $5 million will pay for off-site storage and transport of paper medical records at the RAH, following the suspension of the troubled electronic patient record system EPAS, which was supposed to replace paper records.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service South East will receive $387,000 to develop a purpose-built clinic. The Budget also has $6.7 million to finalise the state’s full transition to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

Mr Wade said reforms had “significantly rectified the financial trajectory for SA Health” and delivered on election promises.

The government has reactivated the Repat and started the “financial and organisational recovery program in the Central Adelaide Local Health Network”, he said.

“We have restored 24/7 cardiac services at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, implemented a world-first meningococcal B vaccination program for adolescents and young adults, and unveiled designs for major upgrades at Modbury Hospital,” he said.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... f3f3794d4c

Patrick_27

#79 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Two things. First, I pray to that that isn't the final design. Second, I hope Labor give the Libs hell for the final costings of this considering how much shit Labor coped from the Liberals over the final price tag of the NRAH.

Waewick

[VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#80 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:15 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Two things. First, I pray to that that isn't the final design. Second, I hope Labor give the Libs hell for the final costings of this considering how much shit Labor coped from the Liberals over the final price tag of the NRAH.
Given how much of a debacle nRAH was and is, I'm pretty sure no one will want to talk about costing unless they equally stuff it up.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#81 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:29 pm

Guys, we had that debate already. 'Artist impression' does not equal committed design. As the article states, that work is ongoing and still to be determined (along with cost). I think I remember two concepts for the 'Marjorie Jackson-Nelson Hospital' before the NRAH final came about. The only decision taken is the location.

Which, the more I think about, is a missed opportunity to truly revitalise the city by rebuilding in the West End. Equally, seems a shame to lose the wetland and garden only recently established for patient, worker and visitor wellness.
Last edited by SRW on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ho Really

#82 Post by Ho Really » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:35 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:29 pm
[...]

Equally, seems a shame to lose the wetland and garden on recently established for patient, worker and visitor wellness.
I don't want to bring up old arguments but, if you wanted a garden then the nRAH should've been built in stages where it originally was, next to the Botanical Gardens. The best place for those recovering or terminally ill. That unfortunately we'll never get again...unless they build over the railway lines and grow a garden!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#83 Post by citywatcher » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:59 pm

Waewick wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:Two things. First, I pray to that that isn't the final design. Second, I hope Labor give the Libs hell for the final costings of this considering how much shit Labor coped from the Liberals over the final price tag of the NRAH.
Given how much of a debacle nRAH was and is, I'm pretty sure no one will want to talk about costing unless they equally stuff it up.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Snort

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#84 Post by Benm16 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:30 am

Completely agree, they shouldn’t build this on the wetlands they just built since that would just be a waste of tax payers money. I also think this would have been a lot better if they located in across north terrace in the block where the old HQ is, this would have connected better with the surrounding streets and given this part of town a bit more life instead of placing it at the end of what used to be parklands.
Also why do we keep building in the parklands? Adelaide is such a large city with so much land to build on, why do we keep extending into the parklands!

rev

#85 Post by rev » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:02 am

The grassed area on the western side is not in a convenient location. There are no patient rooms on the western side, at least none for patients that can move out to that area easily. There's no public egress/ingress on the western side. And there's actually a garden area on the north western side of the hospital it self mind you.

If they built a platform/plaza over the rail lines on the northern side, and over George street, all the way from the location for the new WCH to the Adelaide Uni building, there's open green space along the Torrens right there. It would require some slight modification to either the second or third level of the northern side of the RAH, which actually has egress/ingress already.

Llessur2002

#86 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:07 am

Benm16 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:30 am
why do we keep extending into the parklands!
What parklands have been lost in the last 50 years or so?

The nRAH and proposed Women's & Children's are being built on former rail yard land (as was the Convention Centre), the oRAH site will result in a net gain to parklands, the Festival Plaza area etc has not been true parkland for decades, the Crows HQ will replace the existing Aquatic Centre, the proposed Oval hotel doesn't extend beyond the current Oval boundary, Botanic High was built on previously-developed land and the various North Terrace institutions have been there for 100+ years. The only genuine recent loss to parklands I can think of is the O-Bahn tunnel portal. Even then, if it wasn't for the Parklands Preservation mob there would have been a net gain to parklands with the closure of Rundle Road.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#87 Post by how good is he » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:47 pm

All very valid points. In regards to considering the HQ site and all the associated land needed, the land cost would be a min. of $70m - $100m [based on $10,000 sqm], while this land adjacent the NRAH is free for the Govt and thus us as taxpayers. Would that influence your thoughts?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#88 Post by SRW » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:27 pm

how good is he wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:47 pm
All very valid points. In regards to considering the HQ site and all the associated land needed, the land cost would be a min. of $70m - $100m [based on $10,000 sqm], while this land adjacent the NRAH is free for the Govt and thus us as taxpayers. Would that influence your thoughts?
Free land in $ cost, but with some opportunity cost that can't be fully discounted. Land acquisition would indeed be expensive for the West End corner, but I'd suggest the overall outlay needs to be considered in terms of the potential for urban revitalisation and corresponding economic uplift. The parklands site is at least 500 metres from Hindley Street, making even a short walk to amenities of the West End around 8-15 mins, meaning many will likely stay onsite with minimal benefit to city land values and business activity. Indeed, it's pretty peripheral and far removed from the BioMed City with the RAH's service end and emergency access probably inhibiting effective interconnection. It's possible too that acquisition costs could be reduced with land swap agreements for the old WCH site.

But, moot points all unless the government and steering committee are inclined to a change of heart.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev

#89 Post by rev » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:01 pm

C&G, who did the new Calvary hospital, reckon they can build the nWCH on time and at an affordable cost.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 8940bcdc73

posted the whole article in the Calvary thread.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#90 Post by ml69 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:52 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:01 pm
C&G, who did the new Calvary hospital, reckon they can build the nWCH on time and at an affordable cost.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 8940bcdc73

posted the whole article in the Calvary thread.
If they manage to deliver SAHMRI2 on time and budget (as they have with Calvary), that would be a pretty convincing evidence that they back their words up with action. So let’s see if they do...