[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#316 Post by claybro » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:41 am
I couldn't care too much about this development how it transpired and whether it was going to be built or otherwise. My major worry is if in future they want to redevelop this ugly and badly designed stadium (it's not world class and only good for cricket and AFL...let's be honest about it), it will be much more expensive and harder to do. Anyhow I'll give these guys the benefit of the doubt, let them make money and hopefully use it wisely, then we'll talk about rebuilding this monstrosity in twenty years time. My two-cents worth.

Cheers
Sums it up pretty well I reckon.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#317 Post by citywatcher » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:28 pm

Except it's not an ugly and badly designed stadium
Stop drinking your own bath water

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#318 Post by HiTouch » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:00 pm

The oval is fine, it’s this proposed hotel that looks like the architectural equivalent of a dingleberry.

Ho Really

#319 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:40 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:28 pm

Really? I've sat in the South Stand midway from the top on the top tier and couldn't see the boundary line because a guy a couple of rows down from me was blocking the view. Let alone seeing the boundary fence. That's bad design. You need to have a good line of sight from every seat. Period.

Also, I need to repeat myself as I've said this before way back in this topic. The angle of the lowest tier of seats around the boundary line is too shallow. Look at Optus Stadium, Perth or even Marvel Stadium (ex-Etihad) in Melbourne and you'll understand what I mean. They aren't perfect but better than AO. Perth did the right thing by at least raising the boundary seats above the playing field. Also Marvel is slightly shorter than AO and Perth on the long boundaries. Then please let's not talk about the roof. What does it cover? World class stadium my arse! Sorry citywatcher!

Cheers

P.S. What is it with Australian stadiums with three tiers or more? Look at Marvel and Optus as examples. Get rid of the lower tier and have the two top tiers from the ground up. That's the angle you need to get better views especially when soccer and rugby are played. Have a look at modern football (soccer) stadiums around the world and you'll understand what I mean. Apply that to AFL and Cricket ovals!
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#320 Post by NTRabbit » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:38 pm

Haven't been to Perth stadium, but I have been to Marvel, and it's trash compared to AO.

I've sat in every stand at AO since the rebuild for either football, soccer, or cricket, and never had an issue seeing all of the playing area from my seat, and I'm talking after they rejigged the cricket members stand to remove the seats with views blocked by steel framework.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#321 Post by Honey of a City » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:00 am

The SACA board are really on board, spruiking the development and its ‘stunning’ (their words) plans to its members. Stunning as the plans may be the clunky design shown in the renders is just so disappointing looking more like a mediocre block of flats tacked on as an afterthought than an architectural enhancement to an international sports venue. Now it’s a done deal we can only hope that the finished product is far superior to what these pictures suggest.

Ho Really

#322 Post by Ho Really » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:19 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:38 pm
Haven't been to Perth stadium, but I have been to Marvel, and it's trash compared to AO.

I've sat in every stand at AO since the rebuild for either football, soccer, or cricket, and never had an issue seeing all of the playing area from my seat, and I'm talking after they rejigged the cricket members stand to remove the seats with views blocked by steel framework.
Seeing the playing area is not the problem. I could see the playing area too from where I was seated. You should also be able to see the boundary (touch) line and in a perfect design even the top of the fence.
Honey of a City wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:00 am
The SACA board are really on board, spruiking the development and its ‘stunning’ (their words) plans to its members. Stunning as the plans may be the clunky design shown in the renders is just so disappointing looking more like a mediocre block of flats tacked on as an afterthought than an architectural enhancement to an international sports venue. Now it’s a done deal we can only hope that the finished product is far superior to what these pictures suggest.
Honey of a City is spot on regarding the hotel. It's an add-on. It won’t improve looks of the already terrible design of the AO. Hope is all we have as I mentioned earlier. Make money out of this venture and use it wisely. Perhaps in the sporting community or on the stadium itself.

In five or ten years when the grand old Moreton Bay Figs give up the ghost add a Southern-style stand and fill in the gap. It’s a shit design, but at least the stadium will have some continuity. The old cricket scoreboard should go too. No tears should be shed here. Transplant it outside somewhere. Perhaps on the western side as part of a museum of cricket, SANFL and AFL.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#323 Post by rev » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:09 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:28 pm

It is a badly designed stadium once you get passed the South Australianism syndrome.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#324 Post by NTRabbit » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:19 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
The SACA board always have and always will be on board with anything that adds a new room/gate/point to which they can add one of their names on a plaque. They haven't been about the members, the rep teams, or the development of cricket in SA for a very long time.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#325 Post by citywatcher » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:03 pm

Lots of parts of the MCG from which the view is restricted
This is a fact of life for stadiums everywhere
What are the specifics where the construction has failed to meet criteria?

Waewick

#326 Post by Waewick » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:53 pm

I'm not qualified to talk about good or bad design.

But there are things that annoy me, like the back of the Western Stand, there is one small set of stairs to exit from, which leads you to a completely full plaza that has no easy way of clearing.

I've never seen anything like it anywhere else on a modern stadium.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#327 Post by Jaymz » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:10 am

Waewick wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:53 pm
I'm not qualified to talk about good or bad design.

But there are things that annoy me, like the back of the Western Stand, there is one small set of stairs to exit from, which leads you to a completely full plaza that has no easy way of clearing.

I've never seen anything like it anywhere else on a modern stadium.
Might be because the western stand had to incorporate some of the old into the new. Whereas the eastern and southern stand were complete rebuilds from the ground up. I've sat in all stands since the redevelopment, haven't really found an issue with any of them. But I do find the eastern stand access and exits seem to work the most efficiently of the three.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#328 Post by Honey of a City » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:50 am

SCG is similar, because Fox Studios (formerly the showground) blocks entry/exit from the whole south and eastern flank. In our case there are only tennis courts and a golf course on the Western flank, and most people on exit are heading south over the bridge or east towards KW St. Agree it’s very frustrating though to queue and shuffle for those stairs to get out of the oval only to queue again to cross the footbridge, and queue again to get through the railway station entrance (which btw was closed last night due to safety concerns caused by the weather).

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#329 Post by JAKJ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:21 am

Ho Really wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:19 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:38 pm

Seeing the playing area is not the problem. I could see the playing area too from where I was seated. You should also be able to see the boundary (touch) line and in a perfect design even the top of the fence.
Honey of a City wrote:
Honey of a City is spot on regarding the hotel. It's an add-on. It won’t improve looks of the already terrible design of the AO. Hope is all we have as I mentioned earlier. Make money out of this venture and use it wisely. Perhaps in the sporting community or on the stadium itself.

In five or ten years when the grand old Moreton Bay Figs give up the ghost add a Southern-style stand and fill in the gap. It’s a shit design, but at least the stadium will have some continuity. The old cricket scoreboard should go too. No tears should be shed here. Transplant it outside somewhere. Perhaps on the western side as part of a museum of cricket, SANFL and AFL.

Cheers
Are you trolling? Aesthetically this is the best major stadium in Australia and has been recognised for it's architectural merit. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion on aesthetics, but that doesn't mean you're not wrong or poorly informed.

This hotel will absolutely detract from the design of the oval unless there is a significant redesign. As it stands the finished product will be a disaster that people will realise far too late as it unveils itself like a slow moving train-wreck over the next 12 to 18 months.

Waewick

#330 Post by Waewick » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:23 pm

Perhaps, given the water feature is rarely on, they could turn the bridge into a semi circle and have it come back over the other side somewhere near the band stand.