[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#571 Post by Spurdo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:42 pm

It seems that demolition has officially started on the main buildings (Theatre, Outpatients & Emergency Blocks) The lift box on top of the helipad is now covered in green scaffolding and most windows have been removed from the buildings. Pics below
Attachments
4FE1E1A0-6367-4149-95DE-C3AC496AAB42.jpeg
9681E792-0056-41A1-9D61-F528E7E36A41.jpeg
15AF2C43-E8E0-4656-83AB-DF6617D0EFCF.jpeg

noted
High Rise Poster!

#572 Post by noted » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:51 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:36 am
gnrc_louis wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:58 am
Adelaide has some great modernist (I guess this one is deco?) and brutalist buildings, which sadly are a bit unappreciated compared to the 19th century ones.
Funny you should say so, as the ABC has just posted an article about that very fact. Good read: 'Adelaide's brutalist architecture celebrated in London as wrecking balls close in'
Interesting article, but couldn't help laughing at the inclusion of the Napier building. I remember studying there in the early 70s when it was reasonably new, and even then it was a dingy, out-dated rabbit warren that everybody hated. I can't imagine it has gotten much better with age.

I do like the old Medical School Building though. I know it was nominated for a listing at one point, but I can't see it included in any of these plans so I am assuming it must have been rejected unfortunately.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#573 Post by Spotto » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:54 pm

noted wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:51 pm
Interesting article, but couldn't help laughing at the inclusion of the Napier building. I remember studying there in the early 70s when it was reasonably new, and even then it was a dingy, out-dated rabbit warren that everybody hated. I can't imagine it has gotten much better with age.
Agreed. IMO the Napier building is hardly a shining example of brutalist architecture, it’s just ugly. There’s better examples of brutalist architecture elsewhere in town.

I’ll admit I might be a bit biased since the historic Jubilee building was demolished to make way for it. :lol:

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#574 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:13 pm

Spurdo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:42 pm
It seems that demolition has officially started on the main buildings (Theatre, Outpatients & Emergency Blocks) The lift box on top of the helipad is now covered in green scaffolding and most windows have been removed from the buildings. Pics below
They've been demolishing the internals of the building and removing asbestos for the past few months. Actual demolition where the building starts being broken into a million pieces is scheduled to start in October. I haven't been on site for a fair while so this timeline may have changed.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#575 Post by rhino » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:58 am

Spotto wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:54 pm
IMO the Napier building is hardly a shining example of brutalist architecture, it’s just ugly. There’s better examples of brutalist architecture elsewhere in town.
There actually isn't much brutalism in the Napier Building is there? Just the ends? I always considered it more of a mid-century modern industrial look.
cheers,
Rhino

Nathan

#576 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:59 am

rhino wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:58 am
Spotto wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:54 pm
IMO the Napier building is hardly a shining example of brutalist architecture, it’s just ugly. There’s better examples of brutalist architecture elsewhere in town.
There actually isn't much brutalism in the Napier Building is there? Just the ends? I always considered it more of a mid-century modern industrial look.
No, I wouldn't call it strictly brutalist either. There's certainly an influence in there, but then there's equal parts of other modernist styles as well.

Llessur2002

#577 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:46 pm

World’s leading computer science university MIT stakes claim in Adelaide’s Lot Fourteen

Prestigious university MIT has staked a claim to be part of Lot Fourteen. The move to create a living laboratory to crunch big data and develop popular products gives real teeth to the new life at the old RAH site.

The world’s leading university in computer science, the Massachussetts Institute of Technology, will establish a project in Lot Fourteen on North Tce.

MIT, as it is universally known, will work with BankSA and the State Government to create a “living laboratory”.

The laboratory will bring together students, researchers and commercial interests to develop products which extract information from the massive quantities of data generated by modern devices such as mobile phones, banking services and satellite imagery.

It will drive research in machine learning and innovation.

“The Living Lab means local researchers will have access to invaluable data to identify how we can drive sustainable population growth, create jobs and strengthen our economy,” Premier Steven Marshall said.

“Furthermore, it will bolster South Australia’s entrepreneurial activity across a range of industries and ensure that this state remains at the forefront of global innovation and enterprise,” Mr Marshall said.

Massachussetts Institute of Technology is ranked the best university in the world for computer science and engineering, according to the highly regarded ShanghaiRanking. Overall, it is fourth best behind only Harvard, Stanford and Cambridge.

Living labs bring together researchers, commercial companies and people drawn from the pool of likely customers to work together on developing products and services. The deep interaction keeps developers on track to meet real market needs.

Momentum is accelerating at Lot Fourteen with about 250 people working on site already and expectations that will increase to 1000 by the end of the year.

Those workers are in addition to about 400 contractors engaged in demolition and refurbishment work.

MIT has several divisions including the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab (CSAIL) which has an annual $US63 million research budget.

Founded in 1963, its mission is pioneer new approaches to computing, develop fundamental technologies and conduct basic research.

Among spin-off companies it has spawned are data transfer provider Dropbox, web content delivery system Akamai, advanced robot developer Boston Dynamics and hardware maker iRobot, inventor of the Roomba vacuum cleaner.

Collectively, CSAIL spin-off companies generate annual revenue of $US2 trillion.

MIT is based in the US city of Cambridge, across the Charles River from Boston.

Its presence will add to Adelaide’s reputation as a leading education city.

As well as the three mainstream universities — Adelaide, Flinders and UniSA — Adelaide is home to a satellite campus of Carnegie Mellon and to Torrens University which is part of the Laureate International Universities network.

University College London operated an Adelaide campus until 2017 and retains a partnership with UniSA.

MIT has some outreach programs in Australia and New Zealand, including MIT student placements, a Regional Entrepreneurship Acceleration Program and innovation workshops.

Teams from MIT have been regular competitors in the World Solar Challenge race from Darwin to Adelaide.

The MITbigdata Living Lab will add to a growing list of companies and organisations at Lot Fourteen.

The Australian Space Agency will occupy the old McEwin Building which has been gutted and is now being refurbished. The agency will manage a Mission Control facility and a Space Discovery Centre which will be open to the public.

The SmartSat CRC and the University of Adelaide’s Institute of Machine Learning will also have major presences on site.

Lot Fourteen already has a number of start-up and medium-sized companies on site as it attracts firms working in its strategic themes of space, defence, cyber security and creative arts technology.

These include satellite communicator Myriota, space tracker Inovor, rocket propulsion developer Neumann Space, life science company Presagen, IT consultants Chamonix, augmented intelligence researcher Datium and a raft of creative arts firms headed by Anton Andreacchio.

Satellite maker Fleet Space Technologies also will take space in the precinct.

Lot Fourteen will be home to an international centre for tourism, hospitality and food studies, an Innovation Centre tower building for start-up companies and the Aboriginal Art and Cultures Gallery — which was allocated $150 million in the recent State Budget.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 6ab30db627

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#578 Post by madelaide » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:46 pm
World’s leading computer science university MIT stakes claim in Adelaide’s Lot Fourteen

Prestigious university MIT has staked a claim to be part of Lot Fourteen. The move to create a living laboratory to crunch big data and develop popular products gives real teeth to the new life at the old RAH site.

The world’s leading university in computer science, the Massachussetts Institute of Technology, will establish a project in Lot Fourteen on North Tce.

MIT, as it is universally known, will work with BankSA and the State Government to create a “living laboratory”.

The laboratory will bring together students, researchers and commercial interests to develop products which extract information from the massive quantities of data generated by modern devices such as mobile phones, banking services and satellite imagery.

It will drive research in machine learning and innovation.

“The Living Lab means local researchers will have access to invaluable data to identify how we can drive sustainable population growth, create jobs and strengthen our economy,” Premier Steven Marshall said.

“Furthermore, it will bolster South Australia’s entrepreneurial activity across a range of industries and ensure that this state remains at the forefront of global innovation and enterprise,” Mr Marshall said.

Massachussetts Institute of Technology is ranked the best university in the world for computer science and engineering, according to the highly regarded ShanghaiRanking. Overall, it is fourth best behind only Harvard, Stanford and Cambridge.

Living labs bring together researchers, commercial companies and people drawn from the pool of likely customers to work together on developing products and services. The deep interaction keeps developers on track to meet real market needs.

Momentum is accelerating at Lot Fourteen with about 250 people working on site already and expectations that will increase to 1000 by the end of the year.

Those workers are in addition to about 400 contractors engaged in demolition and refurbishment work.

MIT has several divisions including the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab (CSAIL) which has an annual $US63 million research budget.

Founded in 1963, its mission is pioneer new approaches to computing, develop fundamental technologies and conduct basic research.

Among spin-off companies it has spawned are data transfer provider Dropbox, web content delivery system Akamai, advanced robot developer Boston Dynamics and hardware maker iRobot, inventor of the Roomba vacuum cleaner.

Collectively, CSAIL spin-off companies generate annual revenue of $US2 trillion.

MIT is based in the US city of Cambridge, across the Charles River from Boston.

Its presence will add to Adelaide’s reputation as a leading education city.

As well as the three mainstream universities — Adelaide, Flinders and UniSA — Adelaide is home to a satellite campus of Carnegie Mellon and to Torrens University which is part of the Laureate International Universities network.

University College London operated an Adelaide campus until 2017 and retains a partnership with UniSA.

MIT has some outreach programs in Australia and New Zealand, including MIT student placements, a Regional Entrepreneurship Acceleration Program and innovation workshops.

Teams from MIT have been regular competitors in the World Solar Challenge race from Darwin to Adelaide.

The MITbigdata Living Lab will add to a growing list of companies and organisations at Lot Fourteen.

The Australian Space Agency will occupy the old McEwin Building which has been gutted and is now being refurbished. The agency will manage a Mission Control facility and a Space Discovery Centre which will be open to the public.

The SmartSat CRC and the University of Adelaide’s Institute of Machine Learning will also have major presences on site.

Lot Fourteen already has a number of start-up and medium-sized companies on site as it attracts firms working in its strategic themes of space, defence, cyber security and creative arts technology.

These include satellite communicator Myriota, space tracker Inovor, rocket propulsion developer Neumann Space, life science company Presagen, IT consultants Chamonix, augmented intelligence researcher Datium and a raft of creative arts firms headed by Anton Andreacchio.

Satellite maker Fleet Space Technologies also will take space in the precinct.

Lot Fourteen will be home to an international centre for tourism, hospitality and food studies, an Innovation Centre tower building for start-up companies and the Aboriginal Art and Cultures Gallery — which was allocated $150 million in the recent State Budget.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 6ab30db627

ummm... yeah. message from melbs to adl, lot fourteen is turning into a monster. absolutely incredible. well done. keep up the good work.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#579 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Given the tech focus (which aligns well with the Smart Cities work the council has been doing with Cisco) of Lot 14, I don't understand why the Liberals want to put a food & hospitality school there. That should go to the Central Market redevelopment, per its district plan.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#580 Post by Spotto » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Random question but didn’t we name the tram stop outside oRAH “Lot Fourteen”? Seems like that’ll be the name eventually, why not try drilling it into the public consciousness now and shift people from calling it “the old RAH” to “Lot Fourteen”.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#581 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:17 pm

Spotto wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:52 pm
Random question but didn’t we name the tram stop outside oRAH “Lot Fourteen”? Seems like that’ll be the name eventually, why not try drilling it into the public consciousness now and shift people from calling it “the old RAH” to “Lot Fourteen”.
It's the Botanic Garden(s) stop, which, being our most visited attraction, is probably right.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#582 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:51 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:26 pm
Given the tech focus (which aligns well with the Smart Cities work the council has been doing with Cisco) of Lot 14, I don't understand why the Liberals want to put a food & hospitality school there. That should go to the Central Market redevelopment, per its district plan.
Exactly and what better way for the culinary school to get a world class reputation than for it to be located above one of the world's best provedore markets.

If the government can have such success with Lot 14, begs the question why aren't the government doing more of this with other sites around the city, but focusing on other industries. Why couldn't the old bus depot and surrounding site be a precinct of international trade, or expand the health and biomedical precinct into the adjacent area opposite where they were considering building the W&C hospital. Surely this is the way forward in terms of encouraging foreign investment in our state, putting us back on the map and increasing the population of the CBD...

EBG

#583 Post by EBG » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:48 pm

Demolition work at lot 14 as at 27/7/2019 building on Frome road and rear of out patients building (Large crawler crane).
Attachments
20190727_lot 14 frome st.jpg
20190727_lot 14 2.jpg

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#584 Post by Spurdo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:12 pm

Ok, so I think I can provide some information regarding the latest pictures as I have worked at the RAH whilst it operated at this site.

1. This first picture is of the former Adelaide Dental Hospital. I don’t know much about this one as when I started work the dental hospital had already moved to the West End. However, I’m not sure if the E&BS Block (Boiler House) will be going yet as I think I recall hearing that it also provides services (Steam, Hot Water, Backup Power, .etc) to some of the surrounding Adelaide Uni buildings.

2. This view would have been facing towards Cobalt/Hone (Radiation Oncology), East (Wards, Oncology, Clinical Trials & I think, Cardiology?) and Robert Gerard (Emergency Department & ICU) Wings. These seemingly have all been demolished now leaving only the Emergency, Outpatients, Theatre & North Wings of the medical services part of the hospital (Residential Wing is also going to be demolished).

Also, the renders for the office tower development that will take the place of the former Theatre & Outpatient Wings have been changed again. It now looks like there will be 2 towers of roughly 18 stories each instead of the original concept of two interconnected buildings of around 8 stories. The original concept also appeared to be an Air Apartments style rebuild using the structure of the existing buildings.

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#585 Post by d3v310per » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:43 pm

From Adelaide Now....
Lot Fourteen: Old RAH’s last major demolition works up for tender
The last major demolition at Lot Fourteen, the former Royal Adelaide Hospital site in the Adelaide CBD, is going to take two years and create 100 additional jobs.

The last major demolition contract on Lot Fourteen, the former Royal Adelaide Hospital site, is now up for tender.

Lot Fourteen is a $550 million state and federal investment to help grow the state’s future industries and jobs.

The demolition of the North Wing and Residential Wing buildings will take up to two years and create 100 new jobs on site — adding to the 500 contractors already on site.

Final plans are still evolving with the sites expected to host new buildings and civic spaces designed to foster innovation, entrepreneurship and knowledge-intensive jobs for SA’s future industries.

Work is also set to begin on the heritage-listed Bice building by lead architect Hassell, which will have contemporary office spaces for hi-tech industries.

The Allied Health Building is due to be completed in the coming months, and will be home to start-up hub operator Stone & Chalk and the MIT Big Data Living Lab.

The former Women’s Health Centre is being refitted for the University of Adelaide’s Australian Institute for Machine Learning.

The McEwin Building will be home to the Australian Space Agency, Mission Control and the Space Discovery Centre, and its refurbishment will also be completed later this year.

Renewal’s SA acting chief executive Mark Devine said the Stage 3A Demolition Program and the start of refurbishment of Bice were significant milestones.

“Defence, space, cyber security, big data and creative industries will continue to cement Lot Fourteen, as the driving force in South Australia’s vision to be the leading centre for future industries and entrepreneurship in the Southern Hemisphere.”

“The design vision for Lot Fourteen is to create a seamless digital and physical environment spanning the repurposed heritage and future buildings to allow occupants to productively move freely, work effectively and collaborate,” he said.

The total demolition project at Lot Fourteen being delivered over a series of stages has a price tag of $150 million.

Further details of the Stage 3A Demolition Program are tender available online at SA Tenders and Contracts at www.tenders.sa.gov.au/tender.