Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Would you support a bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games?

Yes, it would be great for the city
46%
No, waste of money
24%
Not 2018, but 2022 or 2026
30%

Total votes: 104

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

#196 Post by madelaide » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:30 am

SRW wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:12 am
Lifted from Will in another thread who lifted from realestate.com, but here's a photo that demonstrates the potential of the central bus precinct for an athlete's village:
After researching at the land allocated in Melbourne, the Gold Coast and Birmingham for their Commonwealth Games Athletes Villages, I'm not sure the Adelaide bus station precinct is large enough to host 7000+ athletes, coaches, officials, etc.

The only other continuous piece of land in the town is around the current Australia Post Delivery Centre. If this magnificent building were to be reconstructed on a location within the Airport boundary, and a number of less significant buildings remove from the area from West Terrace to Byron Place, between Grote and Gouger streets, I would back this as adequate for the Games. Conversion from Athletes apartments to regular residential post-event is possible, referencing the successful repurposing in Melbs and the Gold Coast. Across Gouger Street, between Bailey and Selby streets, retail, bars, coaches, officials and media accommodation would allow a less congested precinct.

What say you?
Attachments
Adelaide Commonwealth Games VIllage.jpg

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#197 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:20 pm

madelaide wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:30 am
SRW wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:12 am
Lifted from Will in another thread who lifted from realestate.com, but here's a photo that demonstrates the potential of the central bus precinct for an athlete's village:
After researching at the land allocated in Melbourne, the Gold Coast and Birmingham for their Commonwealth Games Athletes Villages, I'm not sure the Adelaide bus station precinct is large enough to host 7000+ athletes, coaches, officials, etc.

The only other continuous piece of land in the town is around the current Australia Post Delivery Centre. If this magnificent building were to be reconstructed on a location within the Airport boundary, and a number of less significant buildings remove from the area from West Terrace to Byron Place, between Grote and Gouger streets, I would back this as adequate for the Games. Conversion from Athletes apartments to regular residential post-event is possible, referencing the successful repurposing in Melbs and the Gold Coast. Across Gouger Street, between Bailey and Selby streets, retail, bars, coaches, officials and media accommodation would allow a less congested precinct.

What say you?
It's a good piece of land, and I know many would like to see the distribution centre demolished. But my opinion is that I see no justifiable reason to contain the 'village' to a contiguous piece of land in a city the size of Adelaide. The city itself is a village, so there's no problem with having multiple sites. If more capacity is needed than can be provided at the bus precinct, there's nearby sites including 171-207 Gouger Street. The solution must benefit Adelaide's long term development, rather just tick the box of putting 7,000+ people on top of each other for three weeks for a vague sense of community. And the Games committee recognises now that these events have to more affordable, durable and beneficial -- else they'll continue to have fewer if any cities apply to host.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#198 Post by rev » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:25 pm

If the athletes village is built to a high standard, and design wise is exceptional, there's no reason why it cant be reused by selling apartments off, leasing a building or two to hotel chains, and using other parts for low cost housing and even housing for the homeless.

Another idea is to have investors and owner/occupiers buy in to the village development. You could have the state gov./organizing body, renting the rooms back for the duration of the event, with the rental income being tax free. Im sure they could call it a grant or something.

But above all else the design needs to be exceptional.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#199 Post by ml69 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:37 am

There’s an article on AdelaideNow that the Commonwealth Games bid is on the brink of collapse because the $3.5 billion cost is too high.

How could it cost that much? I though we were trumpeting that we could host it quite inexpensively because most of the sporting infrastructure already exists?

The article is behind the paywall, so I don’t have access to it.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#200 Post by Goodsy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:08 am

ml69 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:37 am
There’s an article on AdelaideNow that the Commonwealth Games bid is on the brink of collapse because the $3.5 billion cost is too high.

How could it cost that much? I though we were trumpeting that we could host it quite inexpensively because most of the sporting infrastructure already exists?

The article is behind the paywall, so I don’t have access to it.

Adelaide’s bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games is on the brink of collapse because an official report finds the $3.5 billion cost would considerably outweigh the long-term benefits to the state.

State Cabinet is expected to decide the bid’s future as soon as tomorrow morning, when ministers will consider a key report from advisory firm Deloitte which is understood to find the Games would not deliver an economic uplift.

This is likely to scuttle the 2026 option, given Sport Minister Corey Wingard has declared the bid would go ahead only if the Games provided an economic boost, but potentially allow for a revived candidacy in later years.

Opposition Leader Peter Malinauskas told the Sunday Mail Labor would respect a State Government decision to withdraw from the bidding process if detailed analysis found the costs outweigh the benefits.

It is understood the Deloitte report finds the total capital and operating cost of staging the Games in Adelaide would be up to $3.5 billion, of which $1.2 billion would be operating costs such as bringing athletes to South Australia, security, road closures and other preparatory work.

This is said to be a “high-cost scenario” for the 10-day event, while the lowest possible operating costs of $300 million rely on considerable federal and local government funding.

However, there are said to be major risks to South Australia’s reputation of staging the Games for this low cost.

Critically, the report finds the long-term benefits are outweighed by total cost.

This includes building infrastructure such as a city railyards arena for at least $700 million and upwards of $1 billion aspart of $2.3 billion capital expenditure.

The total long-term benefit to the state ranges between $380 million and $1.2 billion – less than half the $3.5 billion total Games cost at the high end, according to the report.

The report is a key part of a feasibility study, commissioned by the State Government in March, which has considered potential economic boost, population growth, job creation and social benefits and risks associated with the event.

Mr Wingard in March declared Adelaide’s bid would go ahead only if hosting the Games would “provide an economic boost and create legacy projects which will benefit our state into the long-term future”.

The Sunday Mail also has been told the scepticism of Treasurer Rob Lucas and other senior government figures about the Games’ long-term benefits has been confirmed by independent reports, including from Deloitte and consulting engineers Aurecon.

Asked to comment on the Deloitte report and whether a bid would be in the state’s interest, Mr Wingard said only: “The State Government is currently considering the feasibility of a bid for the Commonwealth Games. A decision will be made in due course.”

Commenting to the Sunday Mail last month, Mr Wingard left open the prospect of Adelaide bidding for the Games “in either 2026, 2030 or 2034”.

Mr Malinauskas said Adelaide would be the clear frontrunner if it chose to bid but hosting the Games must deliver a clear benefit and value for taxpayers’ money.

“If detailed analysis finds the costs outweigh the benefits, the Opposition would respect a decision by the government to withdraw from the bidding process,” he said.

“With this year’s State Budget delivering a dramatic increase in debt and increasing taxes on South Australian households, hosting an event where the cost outweighs the benefit would be difficult to justify.”

The Sunday Mail late last month revealed a decision on whether to press ahead with the Adelaide bid was expected within days as the feasibility study, which was due by August 31, was delivered to the Government.

It is understood the Deloitte report also canvasses the possibility of $250 million in federal funding to supplement the Games’ cost but stresses this is not guaranteed.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#201 Post by Bob » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:26 am

Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane and Gold Coast were all able to host the CW Games and deal with the funding issues with cooperation from Local, State and Federal Governments. All benefited from infrastructure put in place that was used afterwards in the long term.

Sydney & Melbourne both managed to host Olympic Games and now Brisbane is ramping up to bid for a future Olympics.

If Adelaide pulls out because it is deemed not economical, the State Govt better release the actual report with the facts and figures showing exactly why Adelaide can’t do something that the other five cites have been able to do.

The CW games itself is not a big deal but the additional funding for new & upgraded infrastructure was the real attraction, if it’s a no go, Adelaide will struggle for the foreseeable future to move forward in any rapid way on this front.

rev

#202 Post by rev » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:52 pm

What did people expect voting in Rob Lucas and Vicky Chapman. :hilarious:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#203 Post by SRW » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:51 pm

This was the article in today's Mail:
SA has to be the winner in race to bid for the Games

ADELAIDE has had a chequered history when it comes to bids for the Commonwealth Games.

In the aftermath of the economic disaster wrought by the State Bank’s 1991 collapse, the city was beaten by Malaysia’s Kuala Lumpur in its bid to stage the 1998 Games.

In 2008, then Labor premier Mike Rann’s government withdrew from the race to host the 2018 Games (ultimately staged by the Gold Coast) after treasurer Kevin Foley branded them “a B-grade event”.

Now, an emerging Adelaide bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games is on the brink of collapse because an official report finds the $3.5 billion cost would considerably outweigh the long-term benefits to the state.

Cabinet is expected to decide the bid’s future as soon as tomorrow morning, when ministers will consider a key report from economics firm Deloitte which is understood to find the Games would not deliver an economic uplift.

This is likely to scuttle the 2026 option, given Sport Minister Corey Wingard has declared the bid would go ahead only if the Games provided an economic boost, but potentially allow for a revived candidacy in later years.

In many respects, this is a great pity. Adelaide has proven, time and again, a magnificent venue for major events. The city has won plaudits for hosting the Santos Tour Down Under, the Superloop Adelaide 500, the Adelaide Festival and Fringe – even the Formula One Australian Grand Prix which was lost to Melbourne from 1996.

But Government is not a charity funded by taxpayers, so must consider the economic benefits of pumping billions of dollars into staging the Games.

In particular, the long-term benefits must outweigh the costs. An independent report from a respected professional services firm has found this is not the case.

The Games bid was being used as a potential vehicle for funding substantial infrastructure, particularly a multipurpose arena proposed for the Adelaide Riverbank costing at least $700 million. If the Games bid is scuttled by Cabinet, as appears likely, it would be wise to consider Adelaide’s future sporting infrastructure needs and steadily work towards them.

As an analogy, everyone would like to live in a mansion but, more realistically, a series of staged, affordable renovations and improvements is likely to deliver a fine house.

Should the bid go ahead, the Government must be able to meet its vow to ensure it delivers long-term benefits.Hosting the Commonwealth Games would be great but not at the expense of a new Women’s and Children’s Hospital or other important infrastructure.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#204 Post by SRW » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:52 pm

I sincerely hope the folly of a railyards stadium isn't the factor making the bid uneconomic. There are surely other options that aren't nearly as expensively engineered.

And I have to say, I think there's a small reputation cost to not proceeding -- it'll seem like yet another pissant decision from a do-nothing state, regardless of the unfavourable economics and B-grade status of the games.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev

#205 Post by rev » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 pm

They might be B Grade compared to the Olympics, but what does that make Adelaide? :lol:

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#206 Post by HiTouch » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 pm

We seriously don’t need the commonwealth games. Just because Perth, Sydney, Gold Coast and Melbourne have had them doesn’t mean a thing. They’re a waste of resources for an event that’s getting less and less popular. Gold Coast didn’t reap what they sowed from it and people barely rocked up.
Its literally the guns n’ roses of events. It was Good back in the day but nowadays it’s full of old people.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#207 Post by Bob » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:08 am

HiTouch wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 pm
We seriously don’t need the commonwealth games. Just because Perth, Sydney, Gold Coast and Melbourne have had them doesn’t mean a thing. They’re a waste of resources for an event that’s getting less and less popular. Gold Coast didn’t reap what they sowed from it and people barely rocked up.
Its literally the guns n’ roses of events. It was Good back in the day but nowadays it’s full of old people.
Adelaide needs the CW games for an obvious infrastructure funding boost & to increase tourism awareness in the long term. The CW games still get the attention of key international sporting decision makers - Adelaide needs leverage to get more international events, sporting, conferences & business. The list can go and on why this event is needed. If they try and gold plate the event with over investment of course it becomes uneconomical. They need to be more realistic.

As to how the Gold Coast benefited, here's some info for you to read:

https://www.publications.qld.gov.au/dat ... 2a012205c2

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/thegold ... 24257.html

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... alth-games

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#208 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:23 am

SRW wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:52 pm
I sincerely hope the folly of a railyards stadium isn't the factor making the bid uneconomic. There are surely other options that aren't nearly as expensively engineered.

And I have to say, I think there's a small reputation cost to not proceeding -- it'll seem like yet another pissant decision from a do-nothing state, regardless of the unfavourable economics and B-grade status of the games.
Apparently the Deloitte report study includes $1bn for a new multi-purpose arena over the railyards :roll:

I suspect this is a case of the Libs asking Deloitte to produce a report showing it's uneconomical to host the games. I doubt they ever intended to follow this one through.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#209 Post by SBD » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:52 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:23 am
SRW wrote:

Apparently the Deloitte report study includes $1bn for a new multi-purpose arena over the railyards :roll:

I suspect this is a case of the Libs asking Deloitte to produce a report showing it's uneconomical to host the games. I doubt they ever intended to follow this one through.
There seems to be a possible argument that we "need" a stadium like that in the next ten to twenty years anyway. Therefore the Commonwealth Games cost of the stadium is only the opportunity cost of bringing it forwards by a few years, and any special features that otherwise wouldn't be needed.

I'd say the roadworks for the North-South motorway need to be finished between T2T and Anzac Highway (the crossing points between the airport and the city/games venues) before the games, too. I wouldn't count the cost of building that as part of the cost of hosting the games, either.

rev

#210 Post by rev » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:23 am
SRW wrote:

So basically the Liberal government set up the feasibility study to fail from the outset with predetermined information/data, rather then letting it look at every possibility and scenario?
So it's confirmed what we all already knew, that the Liberals don't want to host major events in South Australia. Just like they let the Formula 1 go, just like they cut funding to the Adelaide 500, Fashion Festival, many other events (among other things like charities), they've now ensured that the "feasibility study" returned a negative result so they have their get out of jail free card. They can turn to voters and say look, it wasn't us, it was an independent study that said it's not worth doing it.

Although I would like to see what a billion dollars could get us for a rectangular stadium of around 30-40,000 capacity.