[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#601 Post by EBG » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:31 pm

I agree with Ho Really about the plane trees especially in Summer.

Levesque
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#602 Post by Levesque » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:45 pm

Thought this view might be interesting to some, demolition on the old dental school on Frome Street . Note the Adelaidean behind 😀
Attachments
IMG_20190815_105346.jpg

PeFe

#603 Post by PeFe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Century-old North Tce trees set for axe in Lot 14 works
Eleven century-old trees along North Terrace are in danger of being chopped down and replaced with pavers, with both the State Government and Adelaide City Council’s administration pushing for their removal as part of the Lot Fourteen development.

Renewal SA – the State Government body in charge of transforming the former Royal Adelaide Hospital site into Lot Fourteen – has requested the healthy trees be removed so it can widen the North Terrace footpath and modify ground levels to create what it describes as a “seamless entry” to the site.

The eleven trees facing the axe include ten English elms and one plane tree lining the northern side of North Terrace from Frome Road to the front of the Bice Building.

Ten of the trees are regulated, with one listed as significant.

According to the council, the trees are expected to live to at least 2039 and hold a monetary value of $660,000.

A council paper sets out the positive aspects of the trees, yet ends with a recommendation they be removed.

The paper describes the trees as providing a “notable visual element to the locality”, with a “tolerable” level of risk to the public.

“The absence of any trees in the footpath to the east and the complete absence of any trees on the opposite footpath to the southern side of North Terrace highlights the importance of the contribution they make,” it states.

Full article : https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2019/ ... -14-works/

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#604 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:33 pm

It's unfortunate but these elms and the ones in Prince Albert Garden (in front of Government House) all appear to be verging senescence. I'm not sure they'd survive too many more of our increasingly hot summers. If there's a chance they'll need replacing within 10 years, I think it's fair for them to be replaced now while works are being undertaken. If RenewalSA's truly aiming to extend the existing treatment of North Terrace through the Botanic Garden then, on balance, I support their proposal.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#605 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:13 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:33 pm
It's unfortunate but these elms and the ones in Prince Albert Garden (in front of Government House) all appear to be verging senescence. I'm not sure they'd survive too many more of our increasingly hot summers. If there's a chance they'll need replacing within 10 years, I think it's fair for them to be replaced now while works are being undertaken. If RenewalSA's truly aiming to extend the existing treatment of North Terrace through the Botanic Garden then, on balance, I support their proposal.
Elms are among the sorts of trees that are struggling to adapt to the increasing extremes of the evolving climate. They don't do well going from extreme cold to extreme heat. Melbourne is having the same problems with their elms.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#606 Post by Joelmark » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:31 pm

Reading the InDaily article it would appear that there's little justification for removing these trees. In past recent projects like Rundle Mall and Victoria Square the tree removal has resulted in a big improvement- in the case of Rundle Mall the almost 50 new elms are lush and green and much better than the 20 or so half dead planes and other species that were there before.
As SRW noted, the ash trees outside Lot 14 are similar to the group in Prince Henry Gardens by Government House that were planted in the 1920s plans and these were successfully retained in 2010 with the upgrade there.
I really think an effort shouldn be made to incorporate at least some of the old trees into the new design.
It always amazes me when you go to cities in Southern Europe - like Granada where I am at the moment - and see the effort they go to to keep their streets green - there's shady trees, plantings and flower beds absolutely everywhere. Adelaide has a broadly similar climate to these places and we could easily do a similar job to many of our streets and squares.
Moderators - perhaps it's time for a separate "greening" thread - a few of us on here have contributed opinions on trees, etc. that might be better off alone? Just a thought.

Algernon

#607 Post by Algernon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:34 pm

Joelmark wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:31 pm
Moderators - perhaps it's time for a separate "greening" thread - a few of us on here have contributed opinions on trees, etc. that might be better off alone? Just a thought.
There's a thread Id be up for. I spend my off days regreening a former communist backwater in central Europe one plant at a time :lol:

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#608 Post by how good is he » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Would these elms likely survive if dug out & transplanted elsewhere? Similar to what they do with date palms but I accept their root systems are very different. I also remember there was talk of a transplant for a historic Cork tree as part of the Norwood Coles re-development.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#609 Post by SRW » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:49 am

how good is he wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:32 pm
Would these elms likely survive if dug out & transplanted elsewhere? Similar to what they do with date palms but I accept their root systems are very different. I also remember there was talk of a transplant for a historic Cork tree as part of the Norwood Coles re-development.
I'm not an arborist, but I'd wager not a chance. They already appear to be under significant stress and at the end of their life span.
Keep Adelaide Weird

bits
Legendary Member!

[SWP] Re: [SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#610 Post by bits » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:58 am

SRW wrote: I'm not an arborist, but I'd wager not a chance. They already appear to be under significant stress and at the end of their life span.
I thought an arborist has said these trees are healthy and will live to at least 2039.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[SWP] Re: [SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#611 Post by SRW » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:39 am

bits wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:58 am
SRW wrote: I'm not an arborist, but I'd wager not a chance. They already appear to be under significant stress and at the end of their life span.
I thought an arborist has said these trees are healthy and will live to at least 2039.
A council report 'expects' them to have a lifespan until 2039 (which would be a normal range notwithstanding climate) but an 'independent' arborist commissioned by Renewal SA assessed them as being within 8 years of failure.
Keep Adelaide Weird

EBG

#612 Post by EBG » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:59 pm

Demolition nearing end for this building,only the front wall and one bay of columns left holding up the front. Click on picture for bigger.
Attachments
20190824_LOT 14.jpg

Algernon

#613 Post by Algernon » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:53 am

EBG wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:59 pm
Demolition nearing end for this building,only the front wall and one bay of columns left holding up the front. Click on picture for bigger.
That pile of red bricks would be worth a mint

Ho Really

#614 Post by Ho Really » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:41 pm

Algernon wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:53 am
That pile of red bricks would be worth a mint
Don't worry "The Serb" will make a dosh recycling them. Salvage can be a good business.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

EBG

#615 Post by EBG » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:22 pm

Yes the demolition waste (as shown at the Frome site) is sold either as whole bricks or the rubble is sold as recycled fill to level sites.
A view from North Tce .The gate was open (picture taken with permission).
Attachments
20190825_lot 14 1.jpg