News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2476 Post by SRW » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:25 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:19 am
Listy wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:06 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:13 pm
They've got a tram corridor in mind - that pleases me.
In the 2014 report they actually called it a tram corridor. "High capacity public transport" sounds like something the PR team came up with so they could avoid all mention of the dreaded "T" word in the current report.
To the airport team, it can only mean tram. The bus already goes that way, and it won't be a train, so that leaves one option: tram. There's more forward planning in this than the State Government could possibly be capable of, so to bypass Knoll's tram-hating radar, they've indeed done as you said.
To be fair, the airport's initial provision for a tram in their 2014 master plan was in response to the state's Integrated Transport and Land Use Plan released in 2013. That's currently under review by the Liberals, so it'll be interesting how hard they try to scrub out any for future consideration for trams.

But with regard to airport planning, here's two other interesting snippets from AAL:
AAL continues to reserve land for a new access road adjacent the south-eastern corner of the airport, between the Morphett and Airport East Precincts which aligns with the State’s Integrated Transportand Land Use Plan. The new road could potentially connect to Marion Road via Richmond Road, originating from Morphett Road, with the primary
aim to cater for B-double and commercial traffic to and from Camden Park and North Plympton. The feasibility, scope and timing of the new access road will be determined in consultation with the City of West Torrens and the State Government.
To meet medium to long term demand, the Terminal 1 drop-off/pick-up area is planned to be duplicated, parallel to the existing alignment below the multi-level car park, with seamless exit and connection to the Western Link Road.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2477 Post by Ho Really » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 am

Emirates will be reducing their service from daily to 5 weekly between 11 Nov and 20 Nov. Don't have the days as yet. Perhaps Stefan may help us.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#2478 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:48 pm

It seems silly to me that Qatar and Emirates fly at almost the same time to almost the same destination. One of them should move to a daytime flight.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2479 Post by rev » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:24 pm

A Qatar A380 snuck in..bad weather in Perth.
FB_IMG_1566020761696.jpg
FB_IMG_1566020754484.jpg

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2480 Post by rev » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:25 pm

FB_IMG_1566020757734.jpg
FB_IMG_1566020751854.jpg
FB_IMG_1566020748809.jpg

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2481 Post by Norman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:03 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:48 pm
It seems silly to me that Qatar and Emirates fly at almost the same time to almost the same destination. One of them should move to a daytime flight.
They have a similar schedule to allow them to connect to their other flights to their European destinations.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2482 Post by rogue » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:59 am

I was on EK441 / EK440 very recently. To say that both flights were half full would be generous. Not surprised about rumours of dropping back from daily.
In addition, the B777's used on this flight are showing their age. Will go with Qatar or Singapore A350 next time.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#2483 Post by Saltwater » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:53 am

IMO Emirates are highly overrated, they’re really just the greyhound buses of the sky. I’d fly Singapore or even Qantas over them any day. I do hope Qantas launch more international services direct from Adelaide at some point. The A320neo will be a very interesting proposition for connecting cities like Adelaide to medium range destinations, without having to worry about the economics of filling a widebody.

Ho Really

#2484 Post by Ho Really » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:08 pm

rogue wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:59 am
I was on EK441 / EK440 very recently. To say that both flights were half full would be generous. Not surprised about rumours of dropping back from daily.
In addition, the B777's used on this flight are showing their age. Will go with Qatar or Singapore A350 next time.
You should be happy if the flight was half-full (half-empty). Better chance to score a whole row in Economy (assuming you flew Economy), less people noise and better cabin service. However if you want quality and consistency of service (and product) go with Singapore Airlines. Not only you get a brand new A350-900 medium-haul between ADL-SIN but also on most routes to Europe another A350-900 (this with Premium Economy) and the best layover or stopover at Changi or Singapore. Otherwise Qatar or even Cathay Pacific will do. I would lean towards Cathay as my second choice as I like HK (providing there aren't any political disturbances). Don't get me wrong Qatar are a good airline and they've won awards over the last few years but when you travel with a great airline like SQ why change? Emirates are still a good airline too. Perhaps the Boeing 777s are showing age and the 3-4-3 configuration in Economy is a let down compared to the standard 777 configuration and that of the newer A350s of 3-3-3. Even if Emirates had an A380 flying here it wouldn't make too much difference. As for price differences between these airlines they are minimal if you purchase your airfares at the right times. The only advantage Qatar and Emirates have on SQ are the number of flights to European destinations from their hubs. SQ wins in Asia of course. As for the schedule it's only temporary. Perhaps from this they'll gauge what their next move will be. Hopefully they'll continue to fly here for those wanting to fly with them.

Cheers

P.S. I have been flying SQ since 2002 and have never had any issues with them so apologies for my rant.

Ho Really

#2485 Post by Ho Really » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:16 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:53 am
IMO Emirates are highly overrated, they’re really just the greyhound buses of the sky. I’d fly Singapore or even Qantas over them any day. I do hope Qantas launch more international services direct from Adelaide at some point. The A320neo will be a very interesting proposition for connecting cities like Adelaide to medium range destinations, without having to worry about the economics of filling a widebody.
Yes in a way Emirates have been overated. Perhaps a few things are starting to slip who knows. QANTAS have also been a real let down for South Aussies. Although I haven't flown them for years (only domestically) they have improved internationally. I won't change though. I'll be sticking to my fav in SQ even if the flying kangaroo makes a return. There will have to be a dramatic event for me to change.

As for the A320neo that will be some time away and honestly I wouldn't fly in one on any medium-haul flights. Anything of 6-8 hours should be in a comfortable wide-body. However I do agree about the economics.

Cheers

Ho Really

#2486 Post by Ho Really » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:20 pm

AAL need to get their webcam sorted...

Last couple of days (perhaps longer) it's been upside-down.

Cheers

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#2487 Post by adelaide transport » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Been that way for over 4 weeks. I sent an email to AAL they were going to have it fixed-seems to be they are in no hurry to fix it.

rubberman

#2488 Post by rubberman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:49 pm

rogue wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:59 am
I thought that Emirates were using the recently refurbished B777-200LR to Adelaide?

Not that it bothers me, I've booked with them to arrive via Melbourne so I can travel on the A380 in the next week.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2489 Post by rogue » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Business class was certainly refurbished. Cant say the same for economy.

Part of the "showing age" comment also refers to the pedigree of the aircraft. The B777 was developed in the mid 90's with very minor upgrades / enhancements since (pending 777X). It is also much noisier than other aircraft.

Ho Really

#2490 Post by Ho Really » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:48 pm

rogue wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:20 pm
[...]

Part of the "showing age" comment also refers to the pedigree of the aircraft. The B777 was developed in the mid 90's with very minor upgrades / enhancements since (pending 777X). It is also much noisier than other aircraft.
Very true the pedigree. I've never been too fussed about the noise in the 777s. The General Electric GE90 are the largest and most powerful engines and yes they are the loudest engines but boy do they sound nice when cranked up. Still a great plane though.

Cheers