[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1636 Post by SRW » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:13 pm

how good is he wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:22 pm
While I am all for a an upgrade when I saw the TDU Village [and other events] they need largely just a blank open space/grassed area for all the marquees etc. The original plan was pretty involved [see post #1629 above] with things like water features, native gardens, toilets, kiosk etc etc. What does the forum think exactly should be built considering it may negatively impact on the demands of these events? I mean they could just probably landscape it all probably for $1m-2m - would that do?
In the masterplan, the square was to be 'squared', with more park space created from excessive road space. Additionally, the arbour/verandah running the length of the square was intended to serve as an activation zone. The maximum marque set-up of events like TDU might need to be relocated (to Torrens Parade Ground or elsewhere), but I imagine the majority could be adequately configured to fit the proposed design.
Keep Adelaide Weird

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1637 Post by claybro » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:24 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:13 pm
how good is he wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:22 pm
While I am all for a an upgrade when I saw the TDU Village [and other events] they need largely just a blank open space/grassed area for all the marquees etc. The original plan was pretty involved [see post #1629 above] with things like water features, native gardens, toilets, kiosk etc etc. What does the forum think exactly should be built considering it may negatively impact on the demands of these events? I mean they could just probably landscape it all probably for $1m-2m - would that do?
In the masterplan, the square was to be 'squared', with more park space created from excessive road space. Additionally, the arbour/verandah running the length of the square was intended to serve as an activation zone. The maximum marque set-up of events like TDU might need to be relocated (to Torrens Parade Ground or elsewhere), but I imagine the majority could be adequately configured to fit the proposed design.
In my visits to Adelaide, I'm not sure the northern end development has massively activated the square? Except for special festival events, TDU and other 1 off events, there do not seem to be too many in the square during the day. Admittedly I have only observed this in passing. As per the sentiments above, I think in hindsight, the northern end has become a bit "busy" with structures and things that get in the way of big events. Maybe some decent landscaping and a continuation of the arbour (without the massive tiered timber seating) might just be enough for the southern end.

Patrick_27

#1638 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:42 am

I wouldn't mind the Square being more open than what the masterplan entails, but I think it's vital for it to be 'squared' in order to maximise the relatively wasted pockets of park space that are surrounded by roads and also close Grote Street/Wakefield Street connection. Think, Tuileries Garden in Paris or Hyde Park in London. The arbours are also something I'd love to see take shape, they'd make it that something extra.

SBD

#1639 Post by SBD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:10 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:42 am
I wouldn't mind the Square being more open than what the masterplan entails, but I think it's vital for it to be 'squared' in order to maximise the relatively wasted pockets of park space that are surrounded by roads and also close Grote Street/Wakefield Street connection. Think, Tuileries Garden in Paris or Hyde Park in London. The arbours are also something I'd love to see take shape, they'd make it that something extra.
Making it square and without the road across the middle would really change the atmosphere around there. I'm not old enough to remember last time it was like that.

What more works would need to be done before the road was closed to make sure that through traffic chose either Greenhill Road or Robe-Fitzroy-Park Terraces rather than Victoria Square roundabout, Flinders or Angas Streets? Would just closing the centre link be enough? Would we need more lanes or more overpass interchanges or less pedestrian activated crossings (replaced by bike/foot bridges) on the ring route or just bigger signs that say "city ring route"?

Nathan

#1640 Post by Nathan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:19 am

One of the key components with squaring the square was much denser plantings around the perimeter. One of the key issues that Victoria Square has always had is traffic noise, so those plantings in the extra space afforded by reconfiguring the roads would make the square a significantly calmer place to go.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#1641 Post by citywatcher » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Tunnel Wakefield - Grote Sts
Stick to the original plan

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Nort

#1642 Post by Nort » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Rather than a tunnel I think you keep Grote/Wakefield open but have a large pedestrian overpass as part of the landscaping of the square.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1643 Post by SRW » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:02 pm

Nope to both those options. Despite the very detrimental impact to the public realm, there's really no reason to engineer such infrastructure when a 2 minute detour round the square will do (with the added benefit of calming non-essential traffic in the CBD).
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD

#1644 Post by SBD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:42 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Which "original plan"?
An 1839 plan shows it connected east-west but a large traffic island north-south so King William Street traffic had to go round the edges.

In 1920 it had roads and trams in "plus-shape" as well as roads round the edge according to a 1920 Reference map of Adelaide and suburbs but I guess that doesn't say what had been planned but not built.

claybro

#1645 Post by claybro » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:50 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:02 pm
Nope to both those options. Despite the very detrimental impact to the public realm, there's really no reason to engineer such infrastructure when a 2 minute detour round the square will do (with the added benefit of calming non-essential traffic in the CBD).
Agree to this. The cost of any tunnels or pedestrian overpass etc, is not warranted. Activity focus will now surely be on the Riverbank plaza once it opens, and I think we are really just flogging a dead horse with Vic Square now as far a major revamps are concerned. It would surely not be too difficult to square off KW St a bit to get rid of the useless corner islands, and re landscape the southern end as said. Oh and more large shade trees instead of structures would make it a quieter and more pleasant place, with maybe a very small kiosk/café with outdoor seating for lunch.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#1646 Post by HeapsGood » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Very glad the original Masterplan wasnt completed or followed, the sourthern portion of the vic square redesign was a busy mess and the road realignment is too expensive and unnecessary.

Just mirror some of the northern square to the southern part, put in some more shaded areas in line with the design. Bobs your uncle. Does the job. We dont need some native planted brown dirt pathed maze.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [COM] Re: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1647 Post by citywatcher » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:06 pm

SBD wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Which "original plan"?
An 1839 plan shows it connected east-west but a large traffic island north-south so King William Street traffic had to go round the edges.

In 1920 it had roads and trams in "plus-shape" as well as roads round the edge according to a 1920 Reference map of Adelaide and suburbs but I guess that doesn't say what had been planned but not built.
The most recent one

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1648 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I seem to recall Abiad as one of the councillors who were less than supportive of the project at the time. Either way, glad it's back on the agenda, even if still years away and likely to cost much more to fully achieve the masterplan than is being mooted below:
Abiad calls for fix to Victoria Square’s “ugly cousin”
Stephanie Richards, 16 September 2019, InDaily

Deputy Lord Mayor Houssam Abiad will push the city council to commit what he says will be about $15 million towards completing the half-finished Victoria Square redevelopment by 2026.

Abiad told InDaily he would meet with the council’s administration tomorrow to discuss a motion calling for funding to be secured by 2022 to redevelop the southern end of Victoria Square/Tarndanyangga.

If the motion garners support from the chamber, Abiad said it would be possible for construction to begin during the next council term, which ends in 2026.

The council revealed its masterplan for the square – initially touted as a $100 million project – in 2012, with then Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood forecasting a $20 million spend on stage one of the redevelopment.

Read full article at InDaily...
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#1649 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:54 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 pm
Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I seem to recall Abiad as one of the councillors who were less than supportive of the project at the time. Either way, glad it's back on the agenda, even if still years away and likely to cost much more to fully achieve the masterplan than is being mooted below:
Abiad calls for fix to Victoria Square’s “ugly cousin”
Stephanie Richards, 16 September 2019, InDaily

Deputy Lord Mayor Houssam Abiad will push the city council to commit what he says will be about $15 million towards completing the half-finished Victoria Square redevelopment by 2026.

Abiad told InDaily he would meet with the council’s administration tomorrow to discuss a motion calling for funding to be secured by 2022 to redevelop the southern end of Victoria Square/Tarndanyangga.

If the motion garners support from the chamber, Abiad said it would be possible for construction to begin during the next council term, which ends in 2026.

The council revealed its masterplan for the square – initially touted as a $100 million project – in 2012, with then Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood forecasting a $20 million spend on stage one of the redevelopment.

Read full article at InDaily...
It's actually a quarter finished square, spending $15m will mean that it is a half finished square... The State government really need to get their shit together and make this happen. $100m is a small price to pay for a civic space that won't require major works (at-least not funded by the state government) for another 50-100 years once the square is complete...

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1650 Post by how good is he » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:13 pm

I agree and I don’t know why they need 6 years to complete a paltry $15m development (and for just 25% of it)? I mean Gawler Place cost the council almost as much.