News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1166
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 367 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#706 Post by SBD » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Westside wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:18 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 am
Sealink has taken over the parent company of Torrens Transit.

https://indaily.com.au/news/business/20 ... -services/
East-West Buses will now run twice daily on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays with a service on Sundays during school holidays. Bikes will be allowed on buses but will cost you an extra $240 each way.
Transit Systems' CEO Clint Feuerherdt will become CEO of Sealink Travel Group and own 2.6% of the company. Its co-founder and chairman Neil Smith will also join the SeaLink Board of Directors and own 15.3% shareholding of the company.

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 948
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#707 Post by PeFe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Some controversy over the awarding of bus on demand contracts for Mt Barker and the Barossa Valley.
From Auntie...
Wine region first to trial Uber-style buses in SA as Keolis Downer wins $1.7m grant

The Barossa and Mount Barker will be the first to receive a bus-on-demand service after the South Australian State Government awarded a $1.7 million grant to public transport provider Keolis Downer.

Key points:
Buses to be ordered through an app in a similar fashion to ride-sharing services like Uber
Trial locations were chosen due to infrequency or non-existent services
The Opposition is questioning the relationship between the provider and the State Government
The two six-month trials will enable customers to book, track, and pay for a bus utilising a phone app in the same manner as ride-sharing services, although some walking is expected for pick-ups from key locations.

It follows trials in New South Wales where some 20 on-demand zones are active in the regions and across greater Sydney, with a one-way trip in the city costing about $3.10.

Transport Minister Stephan Knoll said his own electorate in the Barossa wine region had been chosen because it lacked a regular bus service linking towns together, while Mount Barker's fixed loop service in the Adelaide Hills ran on a "pretty low frequency".

"We think on-demand bus services work better in low frequency areas, which is precisely why we think these are good areas to trial this," he told ABC Radio Adelaide.

"There was an independent tender evaluation process that decided where the best areas were to do this ... they weren't chosen by me."

On-demand buses have been in service in Australia and overseas for decades, with many regional areas and dependent people relying on them as a key mode of public transport.

Gawler, at the edge of the Barossa for example, already has a dial-a-bus service that operates within allocated hours.

Tender closed to the public
Keolis Downer is a joint venture between the Downer Group (Australia and New Zealand) and French transport company, Keolis.

Opposition transport spokesperson Tom Koutsantonis questioned why the $1.7 million grant was only open to eight bodies in a select market approach rather than an open tender.

"The Minister has given an unbelievable advantage to Keolis Downer, who have been awarded this trial without it going to open tender," he said.

"Who chose the bodies to bid?"

But Mr Knoll said the former treasurer was trying to create an issue "where there is no issue" and there had been "absolutely no issue with the probity or anything around the process".

"What we've got is an exciting new technology," he said.

"We just want to get on and see how we can bring it to Adelaide."

Keolis Downer relationship re-questioned
Keolis Downer is considered a leading contender to win the first contract for Adelaide's soon-to-be-privatised tram operations.


Last month, Mr Koutsantonis announced Freedom of Information documents had revealed an email sent by the company's executive general manager of customer and government partnerships, Sasha Grebe, to Minister Knoll's office.

The email was an apparent effort to shore up the Government's case to privatise Adelaide's passenger train and tram network by offering quotes that supported the move — purportedly made by Mr Koutsantonis during his tenure as former state treasurer and by former transport minister Stephen Mullighan.

The quotes were later found to have been fabricated for a fake newspaper article posted on April Fools' Day.

"Why did Sasha Grebe feel so comfortable to send that email to Mr Knoll?" Mr Koutsantonis asked.

"It quite frankly raises a lot of questions about the contact Keolis Downer had with the Minister's office in the lead-up to announcing the privatisation tender.

"I have grave concerns about these tender processes."

The Downer Group has distanced itself from the email sent by Mr Grebe —a former high level Liberal advisor to Prime Minister Scott Morrison and former federal treasurer Joe Hockey — and said the email was never "sanctioned or approved".

Mr Knoll previously said Mr Grebe's email was never acted upon and the tender process for tram and train operations was being "conducted at arm's length from me and my office" through the Transport Department's chief executive.

He further pointed out that in 2015, the former government awarded Keolis Downer a contract as well — to run parts of Adelaide's bus system.

Trials to begin next year
The six-month trials for bus on-demand services are expected to start early next year.

Mr Knoll said users could expect to be picked up from their home or within a proposed distance of between 60 to 130 metres from their location.

People for Public Transport president Josephine Buckhorn previously welcomed the announcement to trial on-demand buses, provided they were complementary to fixed routes and did not result in service reductions.

Dr Sekhar Somanahalli, from the University of South Australia's School of Natural and Built Environments, believes they could be used as "feeder services" to transport hubs.

However, the Transport Workers Union said the Sydney trials had not stacked up economically and had cost taxpayers about $714,000 a month to subsidise.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-13/ ... s/11700496

Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#708 Post by Eurostar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:55 am

PeFe wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:35 pm
Some controversy over the awarding of bus on demand contracts for Mt Barker and the Barossa Valley.
From Auntie...
Wine region first to trial Uber-style buses in SA as Keolis Downer wins $1.7m grant

The Barossa and Mount Barker will be the first to receive a bus-on-demand service after the South Australian State Government awarded a $1.7 million grant to public transport provider Keolis Downer.

Key points:
Buses to be ordered through an app in a similar fashion to ride-sharing services like Uber
Trial locations were chosen due to infrequency or non-existent services
The Opposition is questioning the relationship between the provider and the State Government
The two six-month trials will enable customers to book, track, and pay for a bus utilising a phone app in the same manner as ride-sharing services, although some walking is expected for pick-ups from key locations.

It follows trials in New South Wales where some 20 on-demand zones are active in the regions and across greater Sydney, with a one-way trip in the city costing about $3.10.

Transport Minister Stephan Knoll said his own electorate in the Barossa wine region had been chosen because it lacked a regular bus service linking towns together, while Mount Barker's fixed loop service in the Adelaide Hills ran on a "pretty low frequency".

"We think on-demand bus services work better in low frequency areas, which is precisely why we think these are good areas to trial this," he told ABC Radio Adelaide.

"There was an independent tender evaluation process that decided where the best areas were to do this ... they weren't chosen by me."

On-demand buses have been in service in Australia and overseas for decades, with many regional areas and dependent people relying on them as a key mode of public transport.

Gawler, at the edge of the Barossa for example, already has a dial-a-bus service that operates within allocated hours.

Tender closed to the public
Keolis Downer is a joint venture between the Downer Group (Australia and New Zealand) and French transport company, Keolis.

Opposition transport spokesperson Tom Koutsantonis questioned why the $1.7 million grant was only open to eight bodies in a select market approach rather than an open tender.

"The Minister has given an unbelievable advantage to Keolis Downer, who have been awarded this trial without it going to open tender," he said.

"Who chose the bodies to bid?"

But Mr Knoll said the former treasurer was trying to create an issue "where there is no issue" and there had been "absolutely no issue with the probity or anything around the process".

"What we've got is an exciting new technology," he said.

"We just want to get on and see how we can bring it to Adelaide."

Keolis Downer relationship re-questioned
Keolis Downer is considered a leading contender to win the first contract for Adelaide's soon-to-be-privatised tram operations.


Last month, Mr Koutsantonis announced Freedom of Information documents had revealed an email sent by the company's executive general manager of customer and government partnerships, Sasha Grebe, to Minister Knoll's office.

The email was an apparent effort to shore up the Government's case to privatise Adelaide's passenger train and tram network by offering quotes that supported the move — purportedly made by Mr Koutsantonis during his tenure as former state treasurer and by former transport minister Stephen Mullighan.

The quotes were later found to have been fabricated for a fake newspaper article posted on April Fools' Day.

"Why did Sasha Grebe feel so comfortable to send that email to Mr Knoll?" Mr Koutsantonis asked.

"It quite frankly raises a lot of questions about the contact Keolis Downer had with the Minister's office in the lead-up to announcing the privatisation tender.

"I have grave concerns about these tender processes."

The Downer Group has distanced itself from the email sent by Mr Grebe —a former high level Liberal advisor to Prime Minister Scott Morrison and former federal treasurer Joe Hockey — and said the email was never "sanctioned or approved".

Mr Knoll previously said Mr Grebe's email was never acted upon and the tender process for tram and train operations was being "conducted at arm's length from me and my office" through the Transport Department's chief executive.

He further pointed out that in 2015, the former government awarded Keolis Downer a contract as well — to run parts of Adelaide's bus system.

Trials to begin next year
The six-month trials for bus on-demand services are expected to start early next year.

Mr Knoll said users could expect to be picked up from their home or within a proposed distance of between 60 to 130 metres from their location.

People for Public Transport president Josephine Buckhorn previously welcomed the announcement to trial on-demand buses, provided they were complementary to fixed routes and did not result in service reductions.

Dr Sekhar Somanahalli, from the University of South Australia's School of Natural and Built Environments, believes they could be used as "feeder services" to transport hubs.

However, the Transport Workers Union said the Sydney trials had not stacked up economically and had cost taxpayers about $714,000 a month to subsidise.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-13/ ... s/11700496
The 838 service in Mount Barker doesn't service many of these new estates including Bluestone which has a nice boulevard that a bus could easily navigate.

The Barossa Valley area especially the main towns of Tanunda and Nuriootpa can be busy places. A regular bus service between Gawler Central and Nuriootpa via Lyndoch and Tanunda should be trialled

User avatar
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#709 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:31 pm

Then just replace it with Uber. I mean, that will probably be cheaper than giving their mates the $1.7 million grant.

Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#710 Post by Spotto » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Adelaide bus stops axed to speed up city commute
Lesley Johns | Dec 5, 2019

The South Australian Government is axing 31 bus stops on four arterial routes in Adelaide to speed up travel times to the city.

Transport Minister Stephan Knoll said the changes will ease congestion on Magill Road, Grange Road, South Road and The Parade.

"Earlier this year we reduced clearway times across key arterial roads and have previously moved a number of bus stops along Marion Road, and other key arterial roads, which has reduced travel times and helped traffic flow," said Minister Knoll.

The bus stops to be removed have been tagged with an information sign informing commuters.

The move has been met with criticism by commuters, with many saying they'll have to walk further to catch a bus. Others have told 9NEWS that if the changes improve travel times to the city it will be good for everyone.

The Marshall Government has defended the measures saying, it will help reduce travel times for passengers catching our buses and motorists getting to work or home in peak hour.

The South Australian Opposition said the move is yet another attach on public transport commuters.

"Commuters now face a much longer walk to catch a bus, making their lives that bit harder. I fear there are more cuts to come on other routes across the city as the Marshall Liberal Government continues to unleash its cuts," said spokesman Tom Koutsantonis.
Buses (and trams) don’t stop at every stop. How will this help?

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2480
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 580 times
Been thanked: 262 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#711 Post by SRW » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:48 pm

I’m sorry, did that article say they reduced clearway times? How is that helping travel times?
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1166
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 367 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#712 Post by SBD » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:32 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:48 pm
I’m sorry, did that article say they reduced clearway times? How is that helping travel times?
I assume Mr Koutsantonis will pick up on that mis-statement too. The news story from April said "extend clearway times. https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 1c93bce125

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest