[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Bob
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#496 Post by Bob » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:46 pm
Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:51 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:06 pm

I'm not really a fan of Minister Knoll but if it's the last part of the quote you're talking about then that's completely subjective and I think there are many people (including countless sporting commentators and journalists) who would class the Oval among the best sporting grounds in the country/world. But let's not get into this argument again...
Can't have a State Minister making a statement that says 'the best' - see the word 'the' - he didn't make a subjective statement - he made an actual statement, one that is incorrect. He needed to stick to the positives of having a unique situation with a hotel attached to a major sporting stadium which is a differentiator to other stadiums that should attract international attention - and leave the statement at that.
I think most people would be absolutely fine with an official representative of a state or country making the occasional statement referring to it or one of its major assets as 'the best' and wouldn't be offended or embarrassed by it.

I personally think that the best Shiraz in the world comes out of the Barrossa. Again it's subjective so others would disagree but it's definitely a contender. However, I can't see anyone having a problem with the Minister for Tourism spruking it as 'the best' during a press conference about our wine regions - some might argue that it's his job to do just that. Why would it be different for the Oval?
We are not talking about a couple of blokes shooting the breeze about their opinion regarding the Oval down the pub, we are talking about a government minister making an incorrect statement going out to the world. Stupid, wrong & embarrassing to the wider world.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#497 Post by JAKJ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:11 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Bob wrote:

Can't have a State Minister making a statement that says 'the best' - see the word 'the' - he didn't make a subjective statement - he made an actual statement, one that is incorrect. He needed to stick to the positives of having a unique situation with a hotel attached to a major sporting stadium which is a differentiator to other stadiums that should attract international attention - and leave the statement at that.
I think most people would be absolutely fine with an official representative of a state or country making the occasional statement referring to it or one of its major assets as 'the best' and wouldn't be offended or embarrassed by it.

I personally think that the best Shiraz in the world comes out of the Barrossa. Again it's subjective so others would disagree but it's definitely a contender. However, I can't see anyone having a problem with the Minister for Tourism spruking it as 'the best' during a press conference about our wine regions - some might argue that it's his job to do just that. Why would it be different for the Oval?
We are not talking about a couple of blokes shooting the breeze about their opinion regarding the Oval down the pub, we are talking about a government minister making an incorrect statement going out to the world. Stupid, wrong & embarrassing to the wider world.
It's not stupid, wrong or embarrassing.

1) No one 'world-wide' is going to care what a minister for an Australia State, let alone South Australia says in terms of their judgement of our states main sporting grounds
2) As far as I have seen, and have seen quite a lot as I do like sport and love to travel AO is very much one of the best grounds in the world so have no issues with the minister making that statement. A lot of English and Indian cricket fans who visit would be happy to acknowledge it as being one of the best as well so really don't see the problem here.

Not sure why there is so much hate/ angst for AO on this forum by certain members, truly bizarre. AO is actually world class (without the cringe), embrace and celebrate it.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#498 Post by A-Town » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:11 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Bob wrote:

Yawn. Get over it, there's bigger things to be concerned about with this project than a throwaway sentence made by the Minister.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#499 Post by Spotto » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Can the AO lovers and haters PLEASE stop bickering with each other. It got boring ages ago. This thread is meant to be about the hotel not whether we like the design of the oval canopy or if we should build another grandstand over the hill. Can we please stick to discussing the hotel?

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#500 Post by citywatcher » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Spotto wrote:Can the AO lovers and haters PLEASE stop bickering with each other. It got boring ages ago. This thread is meant to be about the hotel not whether we like the design of the oval canopy or if we should build another grandstand over the hill. Can we please stick to discussing the hotel?
Aren't we doing that more or less
You can't have a discussion if some facets of that discussion are ruled outside the terms of reference
You then have the issue of transparency
You can choose to comment or not

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#501 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:33 am

Adelaide Oval Hotel :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#502 Post by JAKJ » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:45 am

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:33 am
Adelaide Oval Hotel :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
Yep. I really hope it isn't going to turn into as much of a disaster as the renders predict, this is a slipshod, half-arsed development which looks like ruining the Eastern aspect of the oval.

The dogged persistence of showing non-opaque glass through all the renders releaed is alarming. Really looking forward to driving/walking down King William St and looking into 100+ hotel rooms and seeing people's messes and half drawn curtains. On match day it will be the biggest peep show in Australia with 50k+ people getting a view of whatever the hotel residents are doing that day or an array of drawn/ undrawn/ half drawn curtains which will not doubt look fantastic.

Can't wait for the first YouTube of "couple having sex at AO hotel" to hit, at least we should get solid bookings from the exhibitionists.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#503 Post by HiTouch » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:45 am

Well this is shit. :wallbash:

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#504 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:57 pm

From today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hybrid
Gold-Member ;)

#505 Post by Hybrid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:52 pm

Should be awesome when finished

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#506 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:48 pm

More new renders are coming next month apparently.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#507 Post by citywatcher » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:50 pm

Hybrid wrote:Should be awesome when finished
Check the renders

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#508 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:48 pm

More new renders are coming next month apparently.

Are these the renders that will show just how much this project actually intrudes on the plaza/parklands? Wouldn't surprise me, after all, you have to deceive the general public these days to get some things across the line. :wink:

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#509 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:37 am

From 15/11.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#510 Post by d3v310per » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:59 pm

Looking north-east

Bases for further concrete columns (same as the above pic)

Another angle looking south-west