News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2019
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 222 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4171 Post by claybro » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:41 am

This all looks like positive stuff if it actually comes to fruition. A couple of things though. Better integration of rail with other modes of transport is more about the other modes.. than the rail itself. (It is easier to get buses to change to meet train running as they are more flexible). Also speeding up of services. We all agree that trains in Adelaide are painfully slow, with running stock designed for speeds up to 130 km/h... trundling along at 60-70/h. One wonders if this is a track/station placing issue, or the current operator. Maybe tighter scheduling is possible with higher speed, less frequent or alternate stopping patterns. It will be interesting to see what the new operator comes up with, and how much the existing system constrains them.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1172
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 370 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4172 Post by SBD » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:05 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 pm
kymbosa wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:36 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:48 pm
Hopefully a three-car electric set is enough to address capacity issues that arise in morning and evening peaks before and after Mawson Lakes, which is easily the most heavily patronised station on the line. Most passengers can get a seat before there, but after, it is not possible.
I always laugh when I see this; head to London in which if you travelled from the otter suburbs into the centre of town, which could take over 20mins, you’ll be lucky to get a seat.

At most you stand for 20mins, it’s a service that makes sure you get to town, it never says you’ll always get a seat.
London?! Even in Perth it is rare to get a seat on the train during peak. Once again, you can stand for 30 odd minutes on the train, or crawl along the exact same route on the freeway in your car for up to an hour, then pay exorbitant carparking at the city end.
The new trains are specified as 240 seated, up to 300 standing, so it is expected that half the passengers don’t get a seat.

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1499
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 456 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4173 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:26 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:05 pm
claybro wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 pm
kymbosa wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:36 pm


I always laugh when I see this; head to London in which if you travelled from the otter suburbs into the centre of town, which could take over 20mins, you’ll be lucky to get a seat.

At most you stand for 20mins, it’s a service that makes sure you get to town, it never says you’ll always get a seat.
London?! Even in Perth it is rare to get a seat on the train during peak. Once again, you can stand for 30 odd minutes on the train, or crawl along the exact same route on the freeway in your car for up to an hour, then pay exorbitant carparking at the city end.
The new trains are specified as 240 seated, up to 300 standing, so it is expected that half the passengers don’t get a seat.
I should clarify that it's not about 'getting a seat', but that - for whatever the reason - these services are unnecessarily packed after one station.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

User avatar
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 460 times
Been thanked: 685 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4174 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:46 pm

Am on a single car train to Outer Harbour - I knew they were running these on the Grange line but it's a first for me on the OH line. More Lib cuts I guess... 🙁

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:55 pm
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4175 Post by Mr Messy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:43 pm

Yeah they run single cars at night on the Belair line too

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1172
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 370 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4176 Post by SBD » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:22 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:46 pm
Am on a single car train to Outer Harbour - I knew they were running these on the Grange line but it's a first for me on the OH line. More Lib cuts I guess... 🙁
How full was it, and how long until the next one?I 'd rather catch frequent trains than large trains if it's choice.

ralmin
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:38 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4177 Post by ralmin » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:28 pm

Rather they run one car every half hour than two cars every hour.

Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4178 Post by Spotto » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:02 pm

SBD wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:22 am
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:46 pm
Am on a single car train to Outer Harbour - I knew they were running these on the Grange line but it's a first for me on the OH line. More Lib cuts I guess... 🙁
How full was it, and how long until the next one?I 'd rather catch frequent trains than large trains if it's choice.
Timetable hasn’t changed since the January revision, trains are still running every half hour on both lines past Woodville. The shared Woodville-to-City section varies between every 15 and 25 minutes

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 pm
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4179 Post by NTRabbit » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:10 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:41 am
This all looks like positive stuff if it actually comes to fruition. A couple of things though. Better integration of rail with other modes of transport is more about the other modes.. than the rail itself. (It is easier to get buses to change to meet train running as they are more flexible). Also speeding up of services. We all agree that trains in Adelaide are painfully slow, with running stock designed for speeds up to 130 km/h... trundling along at 60-70/h. One wonders if this is a track/station placing issue, or the current operator. Maybe tighter scheduling is possible with higher speed, less frequent or alternate stopping patterns. It will be interesting to see what the new operator comes up with, and how much the existing system constrains them.
In reality, what will happen is that the cost to the passenger goes up, the cost to the taxpayer goes up, and the service in both quantity and quality goes down.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Jaymz, kymbosa and 12 guests