[COM] Festival Plaza Tower 1 | 115m | 27 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

#931 Post by SRW » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:35 pm

I'm not saying the concept design for the square is by any means exceptional, or that it can't be improved, but consider me really bloody sceptical of Walker Group's intent here. It strikes me as an exercise of shifting goal posts and passing bucks -- specifically, the supposed 'costs blowouts', issues of 'clutter' and ill-defined edges all while their desire to plonk another oversized tower on the site remains undiminished. Sounds like they're trying to sweeten a deal that was already distastefully sweet.

However, in terms of design ambition were it to be reworked... do we really need it to facilitate very large events? I mean, Elder Park is just out front.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#932 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:52 am

SRW wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:35 pm
I'm not saying the concept design for the square is by any means exceptional, or that it can't be improved, but consider me really bloody sceptical of Walker Group's intent here. It strikes me as an exercise of shifting goal posts and passing bucks -- specifically, the supposed 'costs blowouts', issues of 'clutter' and ill-defined edges all while their desire to plonk another oversized tower on the site remains undiminished. Sounds like they're trying to sweeten a deal that was already distastefully sweet.

However, in terms of design ambition were it to be reworked... do we really need it to facilitate very large events? I mean, Elder Park is just out front.
If the government had any sense, they would buy the completed carpark back from Walker and hand the open space on top to the Festival Centre as they had intended to do at the election before the last. Leave it to the Festival Centre to decide what happens to the site.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#933 Post by how good is he » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:08 pm

I agee SRW and it’s looks like its going to be a congested area let alone adding another tower.
The stakeholders have had years to agree and did sign off on the plan so I am wondering why didn’t they make their suggestions or any changes at the start?
Also with multiple neighbouring stakeholders I doubt any changes will keep everyone happy however if they did all agree with a new plan, then put it out so we all could see and decide on it.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#934 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:09 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:08 pm
I agee SRW and it’s looks like its going to be a congested area let alone adding another tower.
The stakeholders have had years to agree and did sign off on the plan so I am wondering why didn’t they make their suggestions or any changes at the start?
Also with multiple neighbouring stakeholders I doubt any changes will keep everyone happy however if they did all agree with a new plan, then put it out so we all could see and decide on it.
Yes, they did have years however the previous state government weren't exactly transparent with the public (and probably not transparent with all of the relevant stakeholders) about what was happening with the plaza. Remember, this is the same government who gave the Festival Centre $90m to upgrade the exterior only, when the centre management had pointed out that the interior was in much greater need of the funding.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#935 Post by SRW » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:09 pm
how good is he wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:08 pm
Yes, they did have years however the previous state government weren't exactly transparent with the public (and probably not transparent with all of the relevant stakeholders) about what was happening with the plaza. Remember, this is the same government who gave the Festival Centre $90m to upgrade the exterior only, when the centre management had pointed out that the interior was in much greater need of the funding.
That's not entirely true. Most of the money was spent on structural repairs and reorienting the entrance to the north, but money was also spent upgrading facilities internally too. Just nowhere near enough.

But I agree. Some bloody transparency here please. We still haven't ever seen the full plans for the tower, which was uniquely approved in confidence by cabinet.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#936 Post by rev » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:50 am

Not my photo
20191207_034646.jpg

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#937 Post by Brando » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Crane base is in.

CDJ
High Rise Poster!

#938 Post by CDJ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:39 am

Brando wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:07 pm
Crane base is in.

Whose crane base would it be? The contract hasn't yet been awarded for the car park. Pretty sure that's a dynamic test rig for the piles.

CDJ
High Rise Poster!

#939 Post by CDJ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:41 am

Mr Smith wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:51 am
Norman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:59 am
SRW wrote:
Do the columns wed this site to the existing design or would it be possible for another design to be engineered to the same supports? I know it's extremely unlikely, but I do like to fantasise that by the time the carpark's done the tower will be redesigned into something more befitting the location. The current one is very unfortunate (from what I can gather anyway, given the plans have never been made publicly available).
The plans for the tower were made public years ago when it came before the DAC/SCAP.
So can someone clarify definitively - is the tower now under construction?
(copying over from Skycity thread - discussion on Festival should be here)
The footings for the tower are complete. So technically yes the office tower is under construction. However there are 5 large and complex basement levels to construct before the tower form will rise above the plaza level.
There was a change of architect in the last year, so that necessitates some aesthetic changes. The overall form of the tower is obviously constrained by planning and interfaces with all of the surrounding stakeholders.
I think there should be separate threads for the office tower and the carpark/plaza.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#940 Post by Ben » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:00 am

CDJ wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:39 am
Brando wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:07 pm
Crane base is in.

Whose crane base would it be? The contract hasn't yet been awarded for the car park. Pretty sure that's a dynamic test rig for the piles.
The crane base is white in the background :)

CDJ
High Rise Poster!

#941 Post by CDJ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:00 am

Ben wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:00 am
Again, there is no contractor on board, so a tower crane wouldn't be mobilised yet. It could just be a piece of one of the piling cranes.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#942 Post by ml69 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:31 pm

CDJ wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:00 am
Ben wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:00 am
Again, there is no contractor on board, so a tower crane wouldn't be mobilised yet. It could just be a piece of one of the piling cranes.
Was there a change of architects for the office tower? Who was it before and who is it now? Here’s hoping we get a better design!

Neko Neko Peko Peko
Gold-Member ;)

#943 Post by Neko Neko Peko Peko » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:45 pm

It was originally designed by Bates Smart, I believe Architectus is on it now - If it is anything like there interstate/international projects, we are in fr a treat...

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#944 Post by rev » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:59 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:52 am
SRW wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:35 pm

If the government had any sense, they would buy the completed carpark back from Walker and hand the open space on top to the Festival Centre as they had intended to do at the election before the last. Leave it to the Festival Centre to decide what happens to the site.
What, and break the contract?
That would end up in court, unless Walker was willing to sell. And if they did agree to sell it back, why would they ever invest here again after being stuffed around?

Another problem is it would send a negative message and creates uncertainty, for potential investors/property developers looking to enter the Adelaide market.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#945 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Neko Neko Peko Peko wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:45 pm
It was originally designed by Bates Smart, I believe Architectus is on it now - If it is anything like there interstate/international projects, we are in fr a treat...
Where did you hear this? Can't find anything online discussing the change.