[VIS] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
ml69
Legendary Member!
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Adelaide SA
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 69 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#481 Post by ml69 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:56 pm

andynguyen wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 pm
I think the Memorial Drive site could be used to build a new 25000-30000 seat rectangular stadium to maximise use and legacy of the Riverbank precinct, bringing higher capacity crowds closer to the city centre. To allow for more space and vibrancy, parts of Montefiore Rd and maybe War Memorial Drive could be tunnelled before building the rectangular stadium.

Tennis could relocate to the existing Keswick Army Barracks site, opposite the Showgrounds. The new tennis centre can incorporate a main show court, being an 8000 seat retractable roof indoor arena could be Adelaide's secondary indoor arena suitable for tennis, netball, basketball, concerts, festivals and Royal Show events.
Why would tennis want to move from its brilliant current location to the Showgrounds? It’s like asking cricket and football to move to the Showgrounds.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2295
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 856 times
Been thanked: 108 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#482 Post by Ho Really » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:10 am

andynguyen wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 pm
I think the Memorial Drive site could be used to build a new 25000-30000 seat rectangular stadium to maximise use and legacy of the Riverbank precinct, bringing higher capacity crowds closer to the city centre. To allow for more space and vibrancy, parts of Montefiore Rd and maybe War Memorial Drive could be tunnelled before building the rectangular stadium.
First of all I doubt Tennis SA would want to move from such a prime position. Secondly a rectangular stadium could be built elsewhere easily without reconfiguring Montefiore Hill Road and War Memerial Drives. I think rev mentioned using one of the ovals to the east of Adelaide Oval. Those belonging to the Uni. Now that would be a prime location.
Tennis could relocate to the existing Keswick Army Barracks site, opposite the Showgrounds. The new tennis centre can incorporate a main show court, being an 8000 seat retractable roof indoor arena could be Adelaide's secondary indoor arena suitable for tennis, netball, basketball, concerts, festivals and Royal Show events.
The Keswick Army barracks should be a TOD, not a sports complex. Your idea of developing Mile End is better. As for the showgrounds, I think there is still room to develop further if pavilions are required.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1758
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 218 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#483 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:48 am

andynguyen wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 pm
I think the Memorial Drive site could be used to build a new 25000-30000 seat rectangular stadium to maximise use and legacy of the Riverbank precinct, bringing higher capacity crowds closer to the city centre. To allow for more space and vibrancy, parts of Montefiore Rd and maybe War Memorial Drive could be tunnelled before building the rectangular stadium.

Tennis could relocate to the existing Keswick Army Barracks site, opposite the Showgrounds. The new tennis centre can incorporate a main show court, being an 8000 seat retractable roof indoor arena could be Adelaide's secondary indoor arena suitable for tennis, netball, basketball, concerts, festivals and Royal Show events.
What you're proposing is astronomically more expensive than what needs to happen...

andynguyen
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:21 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#484 Post by andynguyen » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:47 am

ml69 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:56 pm
Why would tennis want to move from its brilliant current location to the Showgrounds? It’s like asking cricket and football to move to the Showgrounds.
Moving tennis centres is without precedent in Australia. Melbourne relocated tennis from Kooyong to Melbourne Park in the late 1980s since there is not enough space at Kooyong to expand further. Sydney relocated it's tennis centre from White Park to Homebush for the 2000 Olympics. In addition, Brisbane built a tennis centre at Tennyson 10 years ago after the Milton courts were closed in 1999 due to financial difficulties, resulting in their city hosting international tennis at Adelaide's expense.

Moving the tennis centre in Adelaide is just one option for the future of tennis in Adelaide. I am aware that Perth is considering relocating their tennis centre.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2295
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 856 times
Been thanked: 108 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#485 Post by Ho Really » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:03 pm

andynguyen wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:47 am
Moving tennis centres is without precedent in Australia. Melbourne relocated tennis from Kooyong to Melbourne Park in the late 1980s since there is not enough space at Kooyong to expand further. Sydney relocated it's tennis centre from White Park to Homebush for the 2000 Olympics. In addition, Brisbane built a tennis centre at Tennyson 10 years ago after the Milton courts were closed in 1999 due to financial difficulties, resulting in their city hosting international tennis at Adelaide's expense.

Moving the tennis centre in Adelaide is just one option for the future of tennis in Adelaide. I am aware that Perth is considering relocating their tennis centre.
But which out out all these cities had a tennis centre in a prime poisition to start with? Besides being of high standard? None. We have the prime position. All we need is it to be brought up to scratch. What is happening now is temporary. Sure at present it is a compromise and money is always an issue. In the interim we need to support tennis with bums on seats and sponsorships or else nothing in future will be done. That's the bottomline. So if the support is there redeveloping Memorial Drive into a 8,000-10,000-seat stadium is not out of the question. It has room to expand downwards, around and above. The current roof can be dismantled and rebuilt, and possibly strengthened with supports around the sides where it is needed. Then add a more solid roof better suited to bad weather. It will be permanent, not retractable. I cannot see why it cannot be done. I truly think the architects may have had this in mind.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Stryker
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:04 pm
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 89 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#486 Post by Stryker » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:39 am

Making great progress. Looks like the roof is mostly complete.

Image

Image

Image

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2019
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 222 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#487 Post by claybro » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:33 am

Was hoping this might get better as it progressed... but it's awful. Just awful. This is our main state tennis stadium ffs. Looks more like a local suburban leisure centre constructed by the local council.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2295
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 856 times
Been thanked: 108 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#488 Post by Ho Really » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:18 pm

claybro wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:33 am
Was hoping this might get better as it progressed... but it's awful. Just awful. This is our main state tennis stadium ffs. Looks more like a local suburban leisure centre constructed by the local council.
It may look sh*t currently but this is a stop gap solution. Just imagine the two stands removed. Dig 10 metres or so down and have a wrap-around stand at a steeper angle. It will turn out to be a big stadium and possibly hold 8,000-10,000 spectators. It still can be done with the current roof or if it requires extending on the ends, because it is a steel frame, new pieces can be welded and bolted on. If not it can be easily removed and a totally new structure can go up, so I can't understand the whinging. I really would like to hear from the architects what they have in mind if this development was taken further. Then you (we) could whinge and give the proverbial :2cents: worth! I'll join you too.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1758
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 218 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#489 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:03 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:18 pm
claybro wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:33 am
Was hoping this might get better as it progressed... but it's awful. Just awful. This is our main state tennis stadium ffs. Looks more like a local suburban leisure centre constructed by the local council.
It may look sh*t currently but this is a stop gap solution. Just imagine the two stands removed. Dig 10 metres or so down and have a wrap-around stand at a steeper angle. It will turn out to be a big stadium and possibly hold 8,000-10,000 spectators. It still can be done with the current roof or if it requires extending on the ends, because it is a steel frame, new pieces can be welded and bolted on. If not it can be easily removed and a totally new structure can go up, so I can't understand the whinging. I really would like to hear from the architects what they have in mind if this development was taken further. Then you (we) could whinge and give the proverbial :2cents: worth! I'll join you too.

Cheers
You don't know that, though. None of you do. Anyone can say that this is merely a stopgap, but have you heard anything further about a proper overhaul of the complex? No. And if Labor held out for years without investing anything substantial here, you can bet your bottom dollar that the Libs won't be shelling anymore money for Memorial Drive even if this new international event is a major success. How I perceive the mentality behind this latest work:

Tennis SA: "Great, this is a great first step to something bigger!"
SA Government: "This investment should do it for the next couple of decades."

Whilst I don't think it's as bad as Claybro has stated (because I look at MSAC in Melbourne and how the premiere Olympic-standard swimming venue is of a similar arrangement to this), it's still pretty appalling.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 65 times

[VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#490 Post by citywatcher » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:38 pm

claybro wrote:Was hoping this might get better as it progressed... but it's awful. Just awful. This is our main state tennis stadium ffs. Looks more like a local suburban leisure centre constructed by the local council.
It's typical Liberal Party

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk


User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 456 times
Contact:

[VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#491 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:45 pm

citywatcher wrote:
claybro wrote:Was hoping this might get better as it progressed... but it's awful. Just awful. This is our main state tennis stadium ffs. Looks more like a local suburban leisure centre constructed by the local council.
It's typical Liberal Party

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
It's a Liberal Party vanity project.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4040
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 294 times
Been thanked: 422 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#492 Post by rev » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:09 pm

There's a higher probability that they'll eventually demolish the stands underneath the new roof structure and rebuild rhe stands, then there is they'll demolish everything and start from scratch.

Lets be honest, its the Liberal party run by Lucas with a jellyfish Marshall as figure head.

SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:43 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#493 Post by SRJ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:02 am

This has nothing to do with A political Party. At least Liberal got us a tennis tournament. Rann, weatherall and the labor cronies couldn’t do that in their 12 years in office. In fact we lost our last tournament when they were in power. Even if the upgrade is not what we hoped at least it has got us an international tournament that we can build the stadium around. Just enjoy the tennis being back in your city.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2295
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 856 times
Been thanked: 108 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#494 Post by Ho Really » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:24 am

SRJ wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:02 am
This has nothing to do with A political Party. At least Liberal got us a tennis tournament. Rann, weatherall and the labor cronies couldn’t do that in their 12 years in office. In fact we lost our last tournament when they were in power. Even if the upgrade is not what we hoped at least it has got us an international tournament that we can build the stadium around. Just enjoy the tennis being back in your city.
Exactly none of this stuff should be politicised (tennis, formula 1, golf, etc...). Now that we're getting a good level tournament, support it by putting your bums on seats. In fact I want to see your faces at the tournament and post your pics here as proof. Then if you are not happy with the facilities make it known to Tennis SA and to Government and hopefully they will make it better, whomever is in government next time or in the following.

Cheers

P.S. You won't see me there unless I have a free ticket as I've covered sport for too many years as a photojournalist and have had enough of it. My interests lie elsewhere. Just to let you know.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2937
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 115 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#495 Post by rhino » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:25 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:24 am
You won't see me there unless I have a free ticket as I've covered sport for too many years as a photojournalist and have had enough of it. My interests lie elsewhere. Just to let you know.
I thought I recognised you!
cheers,
Rhino

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alyx, Neko Neko Peko Peko and 3 guests