[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#511 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:27 pm

claybro wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:58 pm
I don't think we should contemplate trying to shoehorn a square field stadium into the Memorial drive site. Surely though a decent undercover arena for tennis and basketball and other one off events is warranted. Beverly is a joke of a location for basketball, and the new upgrade here is a bit of a half arsed effort. Tennis, basketball and some events would make Memorial Drive a year round venue. Soccer/ rugby could have their own venue, maybe reconfigure some of the corner of the golf course, or in that pathetic park of mallee scrub on the old Water corp depot on port road at Thebarton opposite the barracks.
The 36ers playing at the AEC has been very popular.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#512 Post by rev » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:38 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:27 pm
claybro wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:58 pm
I don't think we should contemplate trying to shoehorn a square field stadium into the Memorial drive site. Surely though a decent undercover arena for tennis and basketball and other one off events is warranted. Beverly is a joke of a location for basketball, and the new upgrade here is a bit of a half arsed effort. Tennis, basketball and some events would make Memorial Drive a year round venue. Soccer/ rugby could have their own venue, maybe reconfigure some of the corner of the golf course, or in that pathetic park of mallee scrub on the old Water corp depot on port road at Thebarton opposite the barracks.
The 36ers playing at the AEC has been very popular.
Better venue then the old one.
Redeveloped Adelaide Oval also saw bigger attendances then AAMI.
Our remaining stadia are old, tired, and obsolete. This roof business is hopefully just a stop gap measure before a new indoor arena is built for tennis (& hopefully basketball)

Patrick_27

#513 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:16 pm

madelaide wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:22 pm
SRJ wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:18 am
I love Hindmarsh stadium and its location. Nothing better then grabbing a beer at the joiners before and after the game. I would love to see the corners filled in with seats to add more capacity. The other grounds in the a league are too big and lack atmosphere because they are 3/4 empty.
I agree. There is no stadium in Australia like it. I know as I've attended games in most cities. Hindmarsh is pure football, close to the action. The public transport options are pretty decent too... trams and trains within walking distance and a couple of buses pass nearby too. I proposed a redeveloped Hindmarsh stadium concept to Bruno Marveggio a few years ago, a rough draft (I also posted on this site to the expected amount of criticism and silence). Bruno advised that they were 'looking to expand much bigger and more central'. Bruno is no longer associated with the club. Perhaps the new owners have formulated a long term plan.
A plan I saw a few years ago involved bulldozing the northern and southern stands and the buildings behind, 'sliding' the pit down, then extending the eastern and western stands on the southern ends and rebuilding the northern stand to align with the eastern/western stands. Basically making it a full rectangular stadium without gaps in the corners.

Ho Really

#514 Post by Ho Really » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:04 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:16 pm
madelaide wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:22 pm
SRJ wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:18 am
I love Hindmarsh stadium and its location. Nothing better then grabbing a beer at the joiners before and after the game. I would love to see the corners filled in with seats to add more capacity. The other grounds in the a league are too big and lack atmosphere because they are 3/4 empty.
I agree. There is no stadium in Australia like it. I know as I've attended games in most cities. Hindmarsh is pure football, close to the action. The public transport options are pretty decent too... trams and trains within walking distance and a couple of buses pass nearby too. I proposed a redeveloped Hindmarsh stadium concept to Bruno Marveggio a few years ago, a rough draft (I also posted on this site to the expected amount of criticism and silence). Bruno advised that they were 'looking to expand much bigger and more central'. Bruno is no longer associated with the club. Perhaps the new owners have formulated a long term plan.
A plan I saw a few years ago involved bulldozing the northern and southern stands and the buildings behind, 'sliding' the pit down, then extending the eastern and western stands on the southern ends and rebuilding the northern stand to align with the eastern/western stands. Basically making it a full rectangular stadium without gaps in the corners.
Yes we all know this and what madelaide is proposing has been said before. However...the reason why it wasn't done is because we have a heritage-listed church in the way. See image...

Also check the following and see what is heritage-listed: the church is in red.

Then even if we go ahead with this plan it still won't bring Hindmarsh (Coopers) Stadium to the right level. We need to build a new stadium elsewhere and develop the Hindmarsh land for high-density housing. What has been suggested by rev is perfect the University Oval. Otherwise the police barracks on Port Road or around MIle End. All this stuff has been mentioned before. Anyhow let's stick to Memorial Drive under this topic.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#515 Post by madelaide » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:12 am

...rev's revolution...
Attachments
Adelaide Sports Precinct 2020 v2.jpg

rev

#516 Post by rev » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:49 am

madelaide wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:12 am
...rev's revolution...
Almost. The second footbridge flip it towards King William.
The main indoor arena at Pinkys flat and the smaller one not necessarily with a roof over the outdoor courts.
War memorial drive between Frome and Montefiore removed, as well as that small section pf Sir Edwin Smith.
The main themes being consolidating venues and and as many codes into one precinct, and as much open public space and plazas between them as possible.

ghs

#517 Post by ghs » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:37 am

Going off topic here, but what future does Titanium arena have now that the 36ers aren't using it ?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#518 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:06 am

ghs wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:37 am
Going off topic here, but what future does Titanium arena have now that the 36ers aren't using it ?
I reckon once the Lightning find a smaller home (be it Priceline Stadium, or one of the district courts), then TSA will quickly be sold to either Influencers or Edge or be sold for housing. I think Influencers will take a passing look at the site, but they're currently upgrading their Paradise campus so I'm not sure how strong their interest will be. Edge have been trying to find a large site since they left Hindley St (having unsuccessfully tried to acquire what's now Zooper's used car lot in Mile End and the former Schweppes factory in Payneham), and with their Findon campus literally around the corner I can see them taking a very strong interest in the site.

If it does become a church, it'll somewhat be history repeating when it comes to disused NBL stadia in the state, with Apollo Stadium becoming Coastlands brief home once the 36ers moved out.

Patrick_27

#519 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:31 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:06 am
ghs wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:37 am
I reckon once the Lightning find a smaller home (be it Priceline Stadium, or one of the district courts), then TSA will quickly be sold to either Influencers or Edge or be sold for housing. I think Influencers will take a passing look at the site, but they're currently upgrading their Paradise campus so I'm not sure how strong their interest will be. Edge have been trying to find a large site since they left Hindley St (having unsuccessfully tried to acquire what's now Zooper's used car lot in Mile End and the former Schweppes factory in Payneham), and with their Findon campus literally around the corner I can see them taking a very strong interest in the site.

If it does become a church, it'll somewhat be history repeating when it comes to disused NBL stadia in the state, with Apollo Stadium becoming Coastlands brief home once the 36ers moved out.
Who knows, considering the government don't own it, there's no telling what will happen. That said, Hillcrest basketball arena is up for sale so it looks like whoever the governing body of basketball is in this state they're dumping assets wherever they can.

ChillyPhilly

[COM] [VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#520 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:35 am

Beverley is also part owned by members of the public.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nathan

#521 Post by Nathan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:54 am

Am I the only one that doesn't particularly like the idea of turning 500m on each side of our main boulevard into the city into an ode to (spectator) sport, filled with stadiums?

Also, is the church at Hindmarsh that much of an impediment? We've lost things of far greater heritage value, for far less useful developments.

Patrick_27

#522 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:59 am

Nathan wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:54 am
Am I the only one that doesn't particularly like the idea of turning 500m on each side of our main boulevard into the city into an ode to (spectator) sport, filled with stadiums?

Also, is the church at Hindmarsh that much of an impediment? We've lost things of far greater heritage value, for far less useful developments.
I'm with you on this. By all means fit a multi-purpose arena in there but a soccer stadium is a bit much, these are some of our best kept parks, why destroy them? I'd be more in favour of getting an arena done and then if the demand is there build a new soccer stadium where Priceline Stadium is at Mile End.

The church at Hindmarsh is actually a performing arts theatre, as part of the Holden Street theatre complex; would be sad to see it go because it's well used. That said, as a thespian myself, if you provide a suitable replacement (if it were to be demolished), people will be less likely to kick up a fuss at its loss.

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#523 Post by madelaide » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:22 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:49 am
madelaide wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:12 am
...rev's revolution...
Almost. The second footbridge flip it towards King William.
The main indoor arena at Pinkys flat and the smaller one not necessarily with a roof over the outdoor courts.
War memorial drive between Frome and Montefiore removed, as well as that small section pf Sir Edwin Smith.
The main themes being consolidating venues and and as many codes into one precinct, and as much open public space and plazas between them as possible.

i'm sending you an invoice for design services already completed. my bank details will be in there for you to deposit. what is the best email address to send it to? dm me.

rev

#524 Post by rev » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:48 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:59 am
Nathan wrote:

I'm with you on this. By all means fit a multi-purpose arena in there but a soccer stadium is a bit much, these are some of our best kept parks, why destroy them? I'd be more in favour of getting an arena done and then if the demand is there build a new soccer stadium where Priceline Stadium is at Mile End.

The church at Hindmarsh is actually a performing arts theatre, as part of the Holden Street theatre complex; would be sad to see it go because it's well used. That said, as a thespian myself, if you provide a suitable replacement (if it were to be demolished), people will be less likely to kick up a fuss at its loss.
Park 12 is used as a sporting field. Thats why its maintained.
Park 21 & 6 could be used, brought up to standard and maintained. Everyone wins.

Nort

#525 Post by Nort » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:37 am

rev wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:48 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:59 am
Nathan wrote:

Park 12 is used as a sporting field. Thats why its maintained.
Park 21 & 6 could be used, brought up to standard and maintained. Everyone wins.
Park 12 is publicly accessible when sports aren't being played on it, would that be the case for a stadium on the site?