[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
arki
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#556 Post by arki » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:25 pm

I’m not usually critical of other opinions on this forum but as someone who has been to the AO at Melbourne Park twice in the past 3 years and two night sessions at the Adelaide International so far this year I have to question whether the posters above have actually a) watched any lower level ATP tour events in the past and b) have bothered to attend the new event in Adelaide at all.

Obviously a brand new purpose built centre court would be the ideal scenario once the event comes up for renewal in a few years, but the upgrades to both centre court and the rest of the precinct are more than adequate for a 250 event and the viewing angles from the awkward stands are actually far better than they appear in photos.

It is also true that Memorial Drive benefits greatly from the neighbouring Adelaide Oval and IMO adds to the character and charm of the precinct, something that can’t be said about the remote Queensland Tennis Centre or sterile Homebush.

There is honestly nothing embarrassing or ‘Micky Mouse’ about the event or venue, save for the unfortunate number of withdrawals owing to the scheduling issue. Yes the design is not ideal for use as a centre court, but apart from the restricted view on the extremities of the south stand, it honestly isn’t nearly as bad as some of you are making it out.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#557 Post by Ho Really » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:31 pm

^^^ Fair comment arki.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#558 Post by citywatcher » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:51 pm

arki wrote:I’m not usually critical of other opinions on this forum but as someone who has been to the AO at Melbourne Park twice in the past 3 years and two night sessions at the Adelaide International so far this year I have to question whether the posters above have actually a) watched any lower level ATP tour events in the past and b) have bothered to attend the new event in Adelaide at all.

Obviously a brand new purpose built centre court would be the ideal scenario once the event comes up for renewal in a few years, but the upgrades to both centre court and the rest of the precinct are more than adequate for a 250 event and the viewing angles from the awkward stands are actually far better than they appear in photos.

It is also true that Memorial Drive benefits greatly from the neighbouring Adelaide Oval and IMO adds to the character and charm of the precinct, something that can’t be said about the remote Queensland Tennis Centre or sterile Homebush.

There is honestly nothing embarrassing or ‘Micky Mouse’ about the event or venue, save for the unfortunate number of withdrawals owing to the scheduling issue. Yes the design is not ideal for use as a centre court, but apart from the restricted view on the extremities of the south stand, it honestly isn’t nearly as bad as some of you are making it out.
Geez I got dizzy from all that spinning

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Patrick_27

#559 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:58 pm

arki wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:25 pm
I’m not usually critical of other opinions on this forum but as someone who has been to the AO at Melbourne Park twice in the past 3 years and two night sessions at the Adelaide International so far this year I have to question whether the posters above have actually a) watched any lower level ATP tour events in the past and b) have bothered to attend the new event in Adelaide at all.

Well said. I've been very critical of the recent upgrades and still believe the government and Tennis SA need to do more but I would hope that any redevelopment considers the character of the existing drive, just as the Adelaide Oval upgrade considered elements of the old stands. Inevitably, if and when a redevelopment happens, we can expect that the Adelaide International will be shifted to either the Entertainment Centre or Priceline Stadium, so I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over the issues that might exist with the shade considering the event might not be at the Drive for long anyway. And if no redevelopment comes before the end of our five year contract to host this we can expect that it won't be renewed. I genuinely believe that the international is going to struggle to gain traction here anyway; after all, we've seen two of the four big names lined up to play, pull out within weeks of this taking place... Meanwhile Sydney (who I thought were losing their tournament in favour of Adelaide gaining this tournament?) have a heap of big names lined up...

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#560 Post by rev » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:22 am

arki wrote:

How is it adequate if centre court isnt ideal?

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#561 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:31 am

rev wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:22 am
arki wrote:

As arki said already "Obviously a brand new purpose built centre court would be the ideal scenario once the event comes up for renewal in a few years, but the upgrades to both centre court and the rest of the precinct are more than adequate for a 250 event and the viewing angles from the awkward stands are actually far better than they appear in photos."

I went last night after work and it reminded me of a similar tournament I attended in Brisbane but in a better location. It's a massive improvement on the old World Tennis Challenge that I always felt disappointed by.

Hopefully this can be a springboard for us to get the purpose built stadium we all want.

Also on the point of withdrawals, I checked the Sydney International 2019 and they had a very similar lineup to ours in 2020 with big name late withdrawals too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Sydney_International

followthefish
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#562 Post by followthefish » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Hey team, been following the Memorial Drive upgrade for a while now and I will say I’m a little disappointed. I understand that this was likely the most viable option within the time frame but am hoping for a proper arena to be built. I also agree with recent posts about upgrading the Next Gen facility as part of the project; this could include new change rooms, player lounges, gym, Tennis SA administration, etc. I believe the ASB arena in Auckland had similar designs (see link below). A new arena that could be connected to Next Gen would be a great outcome.

https://www.copelandassociates.co.nz/au ... tecture-nz

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#563 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:09 pm

arki wrote:

I've watched plenty of ATP 250 events in the past (and WTA Premier events), and I've attended the Adelaide International (and will be again on Saturday). The set up, while flawed, isn't embarassing.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#564 Post by Honey of a City » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:29 pm

arki wrote:

Wasn’t criticising the location of the venue which Is first class. In fact all the more reason why we should get cracking with the rebuild which has been promised for years. Awkward stands do not cut it in contemporary sports/entertainment venues. Nevertheless glad you’re enjoying the tournament.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#565 Post by rev » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:45 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:31 am
rev wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:22 am
arki wrote:

As arki said already "Obviously a brand new purpose built centre court would be the ideal scenario once the event comes up for renewal in a few years, but the upgrades to both centre court and the rest of the precinct are more than adequate for a 250 event and the viewing angles from the awkward stands are actually far better than they appear in photos."

I went last night after work and it reminded me of a similar tournament I attended in Brisbane but in a better location. It's a massive improvement on the old World Tennis Challenge that I always felt disappointed by.

Hopefully this can be a springboard for us to get the purpose built stadium we all want.

Also on the point of withdrawals, I checked the Sydney International 2019 and they had a very similar lineup to ours in 2020 with big name late withdrawals too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Sydney_International
the upgrades to both centre court and the rest of the precinct are more than adequate for a 250 event
Yes the design is not ideal for use as a centre court,

Algernon

#566 Post by Algernon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:20 pm

d3v310per wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:43 am
I thought sitting on the edges of the Anfield rd stand with your head turned so you're not looking straight over the Main stand at Anfield was bad. Imagine sitting through 3 sets of a tennis match for this view of absolutely nothing but the side of a stand, lest you want to put your chiro's grand kids through college...

Building a roof has dramatically altered the sight lines so the 75% of patrons who are not looking at a tennis court suddenly are. If you disagree with me, you hate tennis. And mathematics...

Points taken everyone, this tennis stadium is absolutely fantastic at everything except watching the showpiece tennis match on centre court. But it's next to Adelaide Oval, therefore good.

noted
High Rise Poster!

#567 Post by noted » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 pm

I have loved the tennis, but I completely disagree that this upgrade is adequate for an ATP 250 event, and even more so for a WTA premier event.

I have been almost every night this week and there is an entire section of the southern stand that has yet to have anyone sitting there. Because of the positioning of the western stand It would be literally impossible for people in those seats to see the court from that vantage point.

It could have been saved if they had made the roof slightly wider and set the western stand back a little. It will be interesting to see if they try and sell those seats for the final, because I think that anyone stuck there would be well within their rights to kick up a fuss.

I also disagree that the venue should be moved elsewhere to a somewhere like the entertainment centre. From a player and a fan perspective the current location couldn't be any better, it is just a shame the stadium doesn't cut it.

noted
High Rise Poster!

#568 Post by noted » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 pm

I have loved the tennis, but I completely disagree that the upgraded centre court is adequate for an ATP 250 event, and even less so for a WTA premier event.

I have been almost every night this week and there is an entire section of the southern stand that has yet to have anyone sitting there. Because of the positioning of the western stand It would be literally impossible for people in those seats to see the court from that vantage point.

It could have been saved if they had made the roof slightly wider and set the western stand back a little, but it is just not good enough as it is. Anyone stuck in those seats for the final would be well within their rights to kick up a fuss.

I also disagree that the venue should be moved elsewhere to somewhere like the entertainment centre. From a player and a fan perspective the current location couldn't be any better, it is just a shame the stadium doesn't cut it.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#569 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:38 pm

Davis Cup will be at Memorial Drive in March.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#570 Post by citywatcher » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:44 pm

Brucetiki wrote:Davis Cup will be at Memorial Drive in March.
Hope it doesn't rain

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk