News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
urban
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1231 Post by urban » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:54 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:28 pm
urban wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:02 pm
The image is from NSW not SA. Item 3a from MawsonGuy applies in SA.

"(3) If there is no turn line indicating how the turn is required to be made, the driver must make the turn so the driver—
(a) passes as near as practicable to the right of the centre of the intersection; "

which means in a multi lane road you are required to enter the right hand lane.
Does it?

All that states is how to cross the intersection so that two cars each turning right from opposite directions pass in front of each other and do not collide. It doesn't seem to have any relevance to which lane you enter when you enter the road you are turning in to.

And 3(b) turns into the left of the centre of the road the driver is entering, unless the driver is entering a one-way road would seem to suggest only that you don't turn into oncoming traffic i.e. turn across the right of the centre of the intersection into oncoming traffic.

Neither specifically states which lane you should turn into in the case of a multi-lane road which, if unstated, presumably means the turning driver has the choice.

Plus, in the case of a driver exiting the slip lane, presumably the basic rules of giving way to the right and giving way to traffic already using the road you are turning in to apply? The Road Rules just state:
You must give way to any pedestrian or bicycle rider on, or entering the slip lane and to any vehicle approaching from your right including an oncoming vehicle that has turned right at the intersection.

A slip lane is an area of road for vehicles turning left that is separated at some point by a painted island or traffic island.
I can't find anything in the rules that suggests this excludes multi-lane roads.
Seriously?

If, on a 2 lane road, you turn into the left lane you are not "as near as practicable to the right of the centre of the intersection".
Item 3 (b) is basically "keep left"

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1232 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:29 pm

urban wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:54 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:28 pm
urban wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:02 pm
The image is from NSW not SA. Item 3a from MawsonGuy applies in SA.

"(3) If there is no turn line indicating how the turn is required to be made, the driver must make the turn so the driver—
(a) passes as near as practicable to the right of the centre of the intersection; "

which means in a multi lane road you are required to enter the right hand lane.
Does it?

All that states is how to cross the intersection so that two cars each turning right from opposite directions pass in front of each other and do not collide. It doesn't seem to have any relevance to which lane you enter when you enter the road you are turning in to.

And 3(b) turns into the left of the centre of the road the driver is entering, unless the driver is entering a one-way road would seem to suggest only that you don't turn into oncoming traffic i.e. turn across the right of the centre of the intersection into oncoming traffic.

Neither specifically states which lane you should turn into in the case of a multi-lane road which, if unstated, presumably means the turning driver has the choice.

Plus, in the case of a driver exiting the slip lane, presumably the basic rules of giving way to the right and giving way to traffic already using the road you are turning in to apply? The Road Rules just state:
You must give way to any pedestrian or bicycle rider on, or entering the slip lane and to any vehicle approaching from your right including an oncoming vehicle that has turned right at the intersection.

A slip lane is an area of road for vehicles turning left that is separated at some point by a painted island or traffic island.
I can't find anything in the rules that suggests this excludes multi-lane roads.
Seriously?

If, on a 2 lane road, you turn into the left lane you are not "as near as practicable to the right of the centre of the intersection".
Item 3 (b) is basically "keep left"
I think you're misinterpreting that rule - my understanding is that's to ensure two cars coming from opposing directions but both turning right cross in front of each other as opposed to behind each other (i.e. each is crossing as close as practicable to the right of the centre of the intersection). It also suggests you shouldn't cut the corner - i.e. cross the intersection far to the right of the centre of the intersection or conversely drive right across the intersection and then make a hard right at the last minute i.e. not like this (X being the centre of the intersection):

Its does not mention the road into which you are turning, nor does it refer to lane discipline. It is quite possible to cross the intersection as close as practicable to the right of the centre of the intersection and still turn into the left lane:

I'm not an expert and happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but that's how I read it.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1233 Post by Westside » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Umm, has everyone missed the start of that rule: "If there is no turn line indicating how the turn is required to be made..."

In the above example and most traffic light intersections, there is a turn line. In which case the rule is that you cannot cross the turn line. You can see above that for 2 right-turn lanes, there is a turn line preventing the two lanes from crossing. In the single right-turn lane there are only turn lines to the right of the lane. Thus, for the single right-turn lane, a driver is not breaking any laws if they choose to enter the left lane, as they have not crossed any turn line to do so.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1234 Post by Westside » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:21 pm

In regards to the slip lane, I was taught to treat a slip lane like a separate t-intersection, where, as described above, you must give way to "any vehicle approaching from your right" (as well as pedestrians on the cross-walk.

In most other states, crosswalks at slip lanes are given the same treatment as any other pedestrian (or cycle) cross-walk. They have large, visible crosswalk signs, zebra paint and often floodlights illuminating the crossing. Unfortunately in SA they are no more than a couple of dashed lines and a small sign. Greater visibility and awareness is needed to highlight a pedestrian's right-of-way in these intersections.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#1235 Post by Hooligan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:36 am

Just a random intersection complaint here.

Seeing as the bank SA on the corner Torrens and Hanson road has been closed for some time now, would it not now be a great time to acquire it and fix this intersection up?

I use this intersection daily and always turn right from Hanson road onto Torrens road. This area gets busy in peak times and because of the angle of the right turning lanes, if a truck is turning no one can use the the other lane as the truck needs both to turn.

I see people try to squeeze past trucks and have near misses on an almost daily basis.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Waewick

#1236 Post by Waewick » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:56 pm

I couldn't find a thread on the magill road/Portrush upgrade .

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 20f6759ba1

Kozy Kids Childcare Centre in Maylands closes after land acquisition for Magill-Portrush Rd intersection

Ben Cameron, The Messenger

December 17, 2019 4:28pm

Subscriber only

Camden Community Early Learning Centre to close

Get the most out of your Advertiser digital subscription

Up to 50 staff at a Maylands childcare centre will lose their jobs with the site to be compulsory acquired to make way for a $98 million intersection upgrade.

Kozy Kids corporate director David Fitch said he had been recently contacted by the State Government about the acquisition of the Portrush Rd centre, which opened in 2017.
He said he expected the centre, which caters for around 230 families, would close sometime in the first half of 2020, but that the government had given no definite timeline.
“We are devastated,” Mr Fitch said.
“It is a bad outcome for all of us.

“Heartbreaking for the staff, the parents and their children.
“But what can you do? We have no control over the issue.”
The site will be razed as part of a federal and state government upgrade of the Magill and Portrush roads intersection to ease gridlock and improve safety.
As part of the works, there will be two right-hand turning lanes and three straight lanes in each direction on Portrush Rd and longer right-hand turning lanes on Magill Rd.

Mr Fitch said parents were told of the closure yesterday and were “pretty upset”.
He hoped to relocate the centre to another site in the Maylands area.
“It could be a refit or a rebuild,” he said.
“It could take a number of years.
“It’s not an easy thing to replicate.”
He hoped to minimise the impact of the centre’s closure on parents, children and staff.
“It is heartbreaking to know that, at some point in the near future, our centre will be closed and our staff and parents will need to go elsewhere,” Mr Fitch said.
“We know that the 50 staff and 230 families, including over 250 children that are part of the Kozy Kids Maylands family, will be affected, and we will do everything we can to assist them through this process.”
Sophie Theodoros, whose daughter Maya goes to the centre, said its closure would be a “massive loss” to the community.
“In that area it’s difficult to get into childcare,” Mrs Theodoros said.
“I’m unsure what to do about it. It makes it trickier to find a place.”
MORE NEWS
The hand gesture which cost ratepayers $25,000
Plans for new Aldi store in Glenunga rejected
Keep Carols for locals says Tea Tree Gully residents
A State Government spokesman said the land would be acquired to widen the intersection to reduce travel times for the 62,000 motorists who use the junction each day.
“We will continue to work with the community and property owners to provide as much detail as possible throughout this process to minimise disruption and inconvenience,” the spokesman said.
The upgrade of the intersection, which recorded 62 crashes between 2013 and 2017, is expected to be completed in 2023.

ChillyPhilly

#1237 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:29 pm

More left turn slip lanes disappearing in the CBD, this time at the intersection of West Terrace and Currie. Image
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1238 Post by how good is he » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:56 pm

I think that slip lane is being closed and both sides of that intersection is being widened for the Adelaide High school students. The problem was with say hundreds of students waiting to cross is there wasn’t enough room to stand & they were literally spilling out onto the street.

EBG

#1239 Post by EBG » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:08 pm

The Adelaide City Council, in their illogical rush to do away with 'turn left with care', has eliminated 2 more at the corner of West Tce and Currie St. Now everyone has to wait at the traffic lights.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1240 Post by how good is he » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:19 pm

From dpti.com.au
Collaborating to save lives
The State Government and the City of Adelaide are working together to improve the safety and access to Adelaide High School and the new proposed City Skate Park.

Collaborating to deliver new and upgraded pedestrian crossings at the West Terrace / Currie Street / Glover Avenue intersection.

The Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Local Government Stephan Knoll said,

“The safety of these Adelaide High School students and other pedestrians is a priority for the Marshall Liberal Government,”

At present, Adelaide High School students and other people are waiting on a small pedestrian island which does not provide adequate room for peak pedestrian use, making it unsafe for students and other pedestrians crossing the intersection.

The Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor thanked Minister Knoll for his support and said the provided finances and shared vision will see the Adelaide City Council begin works as quickly as possible.

Some of the proposed works will see the installation of a new pedestrian crosswalk at the northern side of the intersection, and widening the pedestrian crosswalks at the intersection. ​

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1241 Post by SRW » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:34 pm

EBG wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:08 pm
The Adelaide City Council, in their illogical rush to do away with 'turn left with care', has eliminated 2 more at the corner of West Tce and Currie St. Now everyone has to wait at the traffic lights.
IMO, it's actually a very logical action to prioritise safety and pedestrians at a key crossing and following a number of injuries/fatalities. I hope even more slip lanes are eliminated in the city.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort

#1242 Post by Nort » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:41 am

EBG wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:08 pm
Blame the drivers who ignored the "with care" part of the instructions for using them.

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#1243 Post by ralmin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:04 pm

I'm glad to see the slip lanes go. Several years ago I was in a near miss at the slip lane from West Terrace turning left into Currie Street. The cars were stopped in traffic and I was on my bike proceeding through the slip lane to the left of the stopped cars. One of the stopped cars was a parent dropping off their child, an Adelaide High School student, who told their child to open the passenger door and get out in the middle of the traffic, without parking the car first. The teenager opened the passenger door right in front of my bike. I slammed on the brakes and came to an emergency stop. No-one was injured but both me and the student were very shocked. I hope the parent learned their lesson to drop off in a safe location, not in the middle of an intersection.

rubberman

#1244 Post by rubberman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:28 pm

Other forms of transport at the opening of Parliament.
20200205_130509_copy_1612x1209.jpg

[Shuz]

#1245 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:43 pm

Those in favour, aye.

Those against, neigh.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.