[COM] Festival Plaza Tower 1 | 115m | 27 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

#961 Post by Ben » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Pikey wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:40 pm
Looking at that shot there is an extra core pit towards the left hand side of the shot, presumably for the carpark, looks too small for a second tower.
I thought that could be for a second tower crane base.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#962 Post by ghs » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:21 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:30 pm
Has anything changed here? Kinda expected we'd be at the point of a massive concrete pour by now.

The cynic in me suspects a go-slow while Walker Corp makes moves behind the scene to get its extra tower.
Correct me if I am wrong, but tower 1 hasn't been confirmed at this stage.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#963 Post by Pikey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:59 pm

Ben wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:41 pm
Pikey wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:40 pm
Looking at that shot there is an extra core pit towards the left hand side of the shot, presumably for the carpark, looks too small for a second tower.
I thought that could be for a second tower crane base.
Could be, it's hard to gauge the size of it from the photo. It looks like its wall based forming rather than four close piles which usually indicate crane base. My guess is its a base for a pre fab service well. But as I said, I'm just guessing from a shot!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#964 Post by rev » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:35 am

SRW wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:13 pm
Yet another reason why they should stop treating the festival shells as a billboard.
Nah, just further proves my point in earlier discussions that the whole area needs a huge redoing, festival centre included, landscaping & choice of trees especially.

Stryker
Gold-Member ;)

#965 Post by Stryker » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:46 am

rev wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:35 am
SRW wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:13 pm
Yet another reason why they should stop treating the festival shells as a billboard.
Nah, just further proves my point in earlier discussions that the whole area needs a huge redoing, festival centre included, landscaping & choice of trees especially.
I agree, the whole Riverbank area from the Morphett Street Bridge in front of the Convention Centre to King William Street in front of the Festival Theatre needs landscaping properly. Over the years its become real haphazard with a mixture of gum trees, some scraggy looking Norfolk Island Pine, palms and the like from years ago. If they're going to spend all this money on rebuilding the precinct the least they should do is set some funds aside to re landscape the entire area so it all flows from the Plaza down to the riverbank.

Nathan

#966 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:33 am

Which raises the question, what the fuck is happening with the riverbank?

The Libs went to the last election claiming the previous Riverbank Authority (or whatever it was called) weren't doing enough, and subsequently got rid of them and set up a new one — who have then done precisely nothing. The greater masterplan from Bowden to Hackney seems to have been completely forgotten, and the lighting project by the council also off the radar. The Festival Centre amphitheatre was supposed to be completely redone, with landscaping in front and an interactive play area, but instead we've got some temporary metal thing and a shitty sign saying 'I love festivals'.

Meanwhile, all the existing water features have been turned off since Autumn last year; and loose and broken pavers are everywhere (or just completely missing).

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#967 Post by citywatcher » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:28 pm

Yep
It's disappointing how no one seems to take responsibility to keep these areas at least maintained.
It creates a bad impression and sets the tone for the city in general.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Nort

#968 Post by Nort » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:29 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:33 am

Meanwhile, all the existing water features have been turned off since Autumn last year; and loose and broken pavers are everywhere (or just completely missing).
When walking around that area yesterday it was very disappointing. There's no reason those water features shouldn't be running. The bridge and the pathway beneath it was designed with it in mind, and the area next to Festival Theater looks so drab and dirty without the stream running.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#969 Post by Will » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:09 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:33 am
Which raises the question, what the fuck is happening with the riverbank?

The Libs went to the last election claiming the previous Riverbank Authority (or whatever it was called) weren't doing enough, and subsequently got rid of them and set up a new one — who have then done precisely nothing. The greater masterplan from Bowden to Hackney seems to have been completely forgotten, and the lighting project by the council also off the radar. The Festival Centre amphitheatre was supposed to be completely redone, with landscaping in front and an interactive play area, but instead we've got some temporary metal thing and a shitty sign saying 'I love festivals'.

I completely agree. This whole area is let down by the landscaping and general lack of maintenance. Is there anyone we can complain about this, that can actually do something about this? The Lord Mayor? The City of Adelaide Minister? The Tourism Minister?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#970 Post by rev » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:24 pm

Will wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:09 pm
I completely agree. This whole area is let down by the landscaping and general lack of maintenance. Is there anyone we can complain about this, that can actually do something about this? The Lord Mayor? The City of Adelaide Minister? The Tourism Minister?
The better question is there anyone in a position of authority who actually cares.
Because all I see is people who care enough to get re-elected to another term, and then when they aren't passing the buck they are doing SFA.

ChillyPhilly

#971 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:55 pm

I think the ACC need to take some blame for this - Renewal SA/State Government built it.

Renewal SA proposed an interactive lighting feature that would have drawn some visitors, but of course the ACC opposed it and nothing happened.

It's a horrible look for tourists.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#972 Post by how good is he » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:26 pm

The Govt should disclose the agreement that they signed with Walker. However admittedly it was done by the prior Labour Govt and there could have been confidentially clauses signed. It would be good to know if there is a guaranteed start & finish date and/or liquidated damages if it doesn’t occur on time. The Walker development at Buckland Park has been extended many times/years. However usually the longer it takes the more the property goes up in value for the owner, so is there any incentive to start or finish sooner? There could be the genuine need to find tenants first ie leasing pre-commitment to the tower that may be part of the financing requirement and/or any signed agreement. The problem is there has been so little revealed that who really knows what’s going on?
Last edited by how good is he on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#973 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:02 pm

Nathan wrote:Which raises the question, what the fuck is happening with the riverbank?

Totally agree with all of this. The temporary metal thing is a shocker along with the water feature, state of the grass, mismatched trees etc. I never take our visiting guests down there and it could easily be so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick_27

#974 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:55 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:55 pm
I think the ACC need to take some blame for this - Renewal SA/State Government built it.

Renewal SA proposed an interactive lighting feature that would have drawn some visitors, but of course the ACC opposed it and nothing happened.

It's a horrible look for tourists.
No, I'm sorry. But if you build it, maintain it, or at-least fund it's maintenance. Considering the ACC have had their priorities elsewhere and have made this clear (Victoria Square, Rundle Mall, laneways and now the Centre Market Arcade); the state government and Renewal SA shouldn't be allowed to spend money on projects largely without ACC involvement and then turf the responsibility onto the council once complete.

Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!

#975 Post by Uncle Monty » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Lot’s of crane bases (3 in place now?) plus extra pieces
Attachments
836D480F-1EC3-4AEB-BD75-9CEB6DFAED69.jpeg