Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Message
Author
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4445
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 531 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3076 Post by rev » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:41 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:34 pm
rev wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:29 pm
Nort wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:23 pm


Into what quarantine facilities?
The army can setup temporary accommodation very quickly for disasters, they have the capacity and the resources to get it done. Why not use stadiums? Oh wait, that would require the government to actually LEAD and cancel all sporting events first.
How many ovals or horse racing tracks are out there? How many disused army bases? Many places they could throw up a perimeter fence, lights, tents/accommodation and house people.

How many of those atco/site huts are there around the country? Probably tens of thousands, they get used everywhere and there's many companies that hire them out.
There's thousands of those things already configured for accommodation as they are used for mining camp sites.

There's many options. It's just a shame we have idiots in government.
In fact I'd be really surprised if they didn't have plans for temporary quarantine facilities as part of their emergency plans for disaster response.

They're already considering bringing in army doctors & nurses to hospitals.

Speaking of hospitals, is the private health system part of the response to this virus?
Problem with quickly throwing up quarantine facilities that aren't well designed is that instead of one infected person isolated at home you could very quickly end up with an entire camps worth of infected people.
As I said, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have plans for such things already. So while quickly thrown up, they wouldn't be "not well designed".
Look how quickly the ADF got things going once they were called in for the bushfires.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1502
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3077 Post by SBD » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:17 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:41 pm
Nort wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:34 pm
rev wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:29 pm


The army can setup temporary accommodation very quickly for disasters, they have the capacity and the resources to get it done. Why not use stadiums? Oh wait, that would require the government to actually LEAD and cancel all sporting events first.
How many ovals or horse racing tracks are out there? How many disused army bases? Many places they could throw up a perimeter fence, lights, tents/accommodation and house people.

How many of those atco/site huts are there around the country? Probably tens of thousands, they get used everywhere and there's many companies that hire them out.
There's thousands of those things already configured for accommodation as they are used for mining camp sites.

There's many options. It's just a shame we have idiots in government.
In fact I'd be really surprised if they didn't have plans for temporary quarantine facilities as part of their emergency plans for disaster response.

They're already considering bringing in army doctors & nurses to hospitals.

Speaking of hospitals, is the private health system part of the response to this virus?
Problem with quickly throwing up quarantine facilities that aren't well designed is that instead of one infected person isolated at home you could very quickly end up with an entire camps worth of infected people.
As I said, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have plans for such things already. So while quickly thrown up, they wouldn't be "not well designed".
Look how quickly the ADF got things going once they were called in for the bushfires.
Housing evacuees is different to maintaining quarantine from both the wider community and each other. The quarantine capacity of Christmas Island appeared to be much lower than the asylum seeker capacity. Most mining camps and the like would have large mess halls with a commercial kitchen, not separated dining facilities for example.

Think about what is the minimum standard mass quarantine accommodation that you would be prepared to leave home for. This is not for "them", it is for "us". The same population that was all-out helping "them" to recover from bushfires "over there" are nowhere near as selfless when faced with their own inconvenience about prudent access to toilet paper. How much of the population would accept living out of home in an army camp set up on the local footy oval, and what makes you think they (or we) would be any safer?

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2772
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 737 times
Been thanked: 369 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3078 Post by SRW » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:34 pm

The reproduction rate in Australia is so far lower than the worst hit countries but not flat enough to keep us in line with the best controlled countries. South Australia has the next most cases per capita after NSW, though thankfully no evidence yet of community transmission. But I wonder what overflow facilities the state is considering for the seemingly inevitable surge of cases -- is the old Calvary Wakefield hospital free and able to be retrofitted? I read today the QLD government is looking to convert a rehab hospital currently being built into an isolation hospital as well as the potential of other facilitates nearby their major hospitals.
Keep Adelaide Weird

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5937
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 838 times
Been thanked: 1617 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3079 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:48 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:34 pm
The reproduction rate in Australia is so far lower than the worst hit countries but not flat enough to keep us in line with the best controlled countries. South Australia has the next most cases per capita after NSW, though thankfully no evidence yet of community transmission. But I wonder what overflow facilities the state is considering for the seemingly inevitable surge of cases -- is the old Calvary Wakefield hospital free and able to be retrofitted? I read today the QLD government is looking to convert a rehab hospital currently being built into an isolation hospital as well as the potential of other facilitates nearby their major hospitals.
Wakefield Hospital is available and may be part of the response if it is needed. I don't know how much equipment (if any) is available there.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2465
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 1215 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3080 Post by Ho Really » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:49 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:20 am
Personally I think our government is even worse then pretending nothing bad is going to happen. They're only doing what they are doing because of public pressure.
That's your personal opinion. The government itself is only repeating what they have been advised by the Chief Medical Officer, the Deputy and the state medical officers.
Some of the measures they've introduced are just stupid. No gatherings over 500 people, but schools with over 1,000 students can stay open? Universities...you name it. It doesn't make sense, and that's because they have no plan, they are making it up as they go along.


There are (good) reasons why they haven't closed the schools. You can read about them and make up your mind whether it's the best solution or better closing them.
Meanwhile what we will see is more and more businesses closing down voluntarily. Ernst & Young from tomorrow. Nike stores across Australia are closing as well.


This is a good thing if they can continue business online. Those that work in stores will be the losers and the online store the winner although I would think only partially.
The NBA, an entity worth tens of billions, has called it's season off. But our AFL here is looking at keeping the season going. The advise is to limit contact with people, social distancing of 1.5m minimum. But the idiots running the AFL (who are giving the government a real good run for their money on the biggest idiots in Australia), think it'd be a good idea to increase the frequency of games over a shorter time period. :wallbash:


All sporting codes should stop immediately. I think the government should tell them all it is enough.
In Italy if you are a confirmed case that should be in isolation, and are caught out, you are going to be sent to jail on charges of homicide. That's how seriously they are now taking it in Italy.

Why is our government waiting to take the drastic measures needed?


Italians are used to this. We call it manslaughter. They call it culpable homicide. I also think the Greeks, Spaniards, French etc., have the same. Also they take it seriously because it is in their nature. One example: our police force don't carry sub-machine guns in public (unless there is a terrorist attck) like they do in many states in Europe. Italy is a prime example. There is a high respect for the enforcement agencies and this has conditioned people. Here in Oz we care less for authority and take a different view of the police etc. That's what our problem is.
Schools, universities, public transport, all sporting codes, everything needs to be shut down.
It will happen, but it is too late. Australia should've shut its borders immediately months ago, but we need to blame China for this as they sat on it too long. You know this virus was out already in November 2019? It was at that stage they should've isolated the virus and locked up everything. There was knowledge but the Communist regime kept it quiet. We now can only control how many will be infected. Deaths will come more and more until they'll reach a peak as it has happened in China, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Shopping centres and super markets as well, it should only be online deliveries. But what has Coles gone and done, of course after they've reaped in hundreds of millions in extra profits now, they've cancelled all regular online deliveries except to the "vulnerable and remote"....so that forces everyone else to go into the stores. What happened to social distancing?

Are they going to take it seriously when thousands are infected or hundreds dead? Too late then.


What will happen here is that we'll have to line up at 1.5-2 metre distances and then only a small number of shoppers in the supermarket. Social distancing is very hard to police. We as individuals need to be the ones to enforce this as best as possible and to be as clean as possible and not spread the virus (remember than not all have symptoms) by touching surfaces that others may touch as well sneeze, cough and spit uncovered. The automatic checkouts are an issue as are mobile phones and tablets that could be shared or have the virus on them and taken home and handled regularly. This is how serious it can be. You can educate people but will they listen or shake off bad habits?
The drastic measures & restrictions work. They're already seeing a positive change in the first "red zones" in Italy.


That's promising. Italy is way different to Australia though. It is heavily populated making contact unavoidable especially living in apartment blocks. Lombardy where the virus took hold has a high population density of 420 per square km., even more in the in cities (Milan, Bergamo etc.) and their hinterland where there are millions.
France has also said that all bills and even rental payments will be suspended for the time being. I think in Italy as well even mortgage repayments have been suspended.

Will the same be done for Australians?
What needs to be done here is the government MUST FORCE all those that hold economic power (banks, landlords, etc.) to yield mortgages, fees, charges, rent, etc., and force (encourage) multinationals and employers to keep their staff and pay them a minimum wage with help from the government for a period of 30 days. At the same time lockdown everything that moves and contain the virus so it doesn’t spread. Keeping the infected numbers down is imperative.

Cheers

P.S. Sorry if I posted this now. I had to leave the computer for several hours. I'm caring for my 90 year old mum so haven't kept up with all your posts.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2465
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 1215 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3081 Post by Ho Really » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:16 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:29 pm
The army can setup temporary accommodation very quickly for disasters, they have the capacity and the resources to get it done. Why not use stadiums? Oh wait, that would require the government to actually LEAD and cancel all sporting events first.
How many ovals or horse racing tracks are out there? How many disused army bases? Many places they could throw up a perimeter fence, lights, tents/accommodation and house people.

How many of those atco/site huts are there around the country? Probably tens of thousands, they get used everywhere and there's many companies that hire them out.
There's thousands of those things already configured for accommodation as they are used for mining camp sites.

There's many options. It's just a shame we have idiots in government.
In fact I'd be really surprised if they didn't have plans for temporary quarantine facilities as part of their emergency plans for disaster response.
In principle I agree. It could be done. I would think the government must have plans. Will it be implemented? I doubt it very much.
They're already considering bringing in army doctors & nurses to hospitals.

Speaking of hospitals, is the private health system part of the response to this virus?
I would assume government can commandeer whatever is necessary in national emergencies. There must be a law. Anyone know anything about it?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4445
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 531 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3082 Post by rev » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:40 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:16 pm
rev wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:29 pm
The army can setup temporary accommodation very quickly for disasters, they have the capacity and the resources to get it done. Why not use stadiums? Oh wait, that would require the government to actually LEAD and cancel all sporting events first.
How many ovals or horse racing tracks are out there? How many disused army bases? Many places they could throw up a perimeter fence, lights, tents/accommodation and house people.

How many of those atco/site huts are there around the country? Probably tens of thousands, they get used everywhere and there's many companies that hire them out.
There's thousands of those things already configured for accommodation as they are used for mining camp sites.

There's many options. It's just a shame we have idiots in government.
In fact I'd be really surprised if they didn't have plans for temporary quarantine facilities as part of their emergency plans for disaster response.
In principle I agree. It could be done. I would think the government must have plans. Will it be implemented? I doubt it very much.
They're already considering bringing in army doctors & nurses to hospitals.

Speaking of hospitals, is the private health system part of the response to this virus?
I would assume government can commandeer whatever is necessary in national emergencies. There must be a law. Anyone know anything about it?

Cheers
Such measures wouldn't be implemented unless we see worst case scenarios unfolding. They say 150,000 dead worst case, think how many millions would be infected then, and how many would be critical.

There is a law actually, that allows for certain things to be done, I think it was brought in in 2015. It was in one of the articles I read earlier can't remember now.

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2772
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 737 times
Been thanked: 369 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3083 Post by SRW » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:30 pm

Norman wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:48 pm
SRW wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:34 pm
The reproduction rate in Australia is so far lower than the worst hit countries but not flat enough to keep us in line with the best controlled countries. South Australia has the next most cases per capita after NSW, though thankfully no evidence yet of community transmission. But I wonder what overflow facilities the state is considering for the seemingly inevitable surge of cases -- is the old Calvary Wakefield hospital free and able to be retrofitted? I read today the QLD government is looking to convert a rehab hospital currently being built into an isolation hospital as well as the potential of other facilitates nearby their major hospitals.
Wakefield Hospital is available and may be part of the response if it is needed. I don't know how much equipment (if any) is available there.
Well, there you go. Wakefield and College Grove to be recommissioned under state control, opening up an additional 188 beds for virus care: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-19/ ... s/12070200
Keep Adelaide Weird

User avatar
gnrc_louis
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:04 pm
Location: Grange
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3084 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:15 am

Wonder how many of the city developments which haven’t yet started will be put on hold. You would think a lot of them will be. Might be a quiet few years for developments.

User avatar
gnrc_louis
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:04 pm
Location: Grange
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3085 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:21 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... fe67410f50

I figure a lock-down next week is probably inevitable too.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1121
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3086 Post by how good is he » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:06 pm

Yes if that happens what’s the flow on effect to our economy, supplies etc?
From another thread..
If they shut the borders, would freight/semi deliveries & flights ie cargo in/out of SA then stop? Or would you expect this to be exempt? Does anyone know the value of how much we import vs export (interstate and overseas) as a state? Would rail then be the alternative in/out of SA?

User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4445
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 531 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3087 Post by rev » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:14 am

how good is he wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:06 pm
Yes if that happens what’s the flow on effect to our economy, supplies etc?
From another thread..
If they shut the borders, would freight/semi deliveries & flights ie cargo in/out of SA then stop? Or would you expect this to be exempt? Does anyone know the value of how much we import vs export (interstate and overseas) as a state? Would rail then be the alternative in/out of SA?
The Premieron 5AA right now, just said frieght wont be affected.
The intention is to slow down interstate travel.
Think of it like countries closing borders but on a smaller scale within a single country.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3088 Post by OlympusAnt » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:26 pm

freight is fine
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1121
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3089 Post by how good is he » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:06 pm

I saw on TV that Interstate there are 5 star hotels offering their rooms (I assume as they are empty) if the hospitals become full and/or for isolation by those affected by the c virus. Do you think this could happen here?
I think there are approx 300 hospital beds set aside here and there are plenty new hotels rooms just finished or being completed. Do we expect these to be largely empty?

User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4445
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 531 times

Re: Beer Garden

#3090 Post by rev » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:22 am

how good is he wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:06 pm
I saw on TV that Interstate there are 5 star hotels offering their rooms (I assume as they are empty) if the hospitals become full and/or for isolation by those affected by the c virus. Do you think this could happen here?
I think there are approx 300 hospital beds set aside here and there are plenty new hotels rooms just finished or being completed. Do we expect these to be largely empty?
Hotels are allowed to keep the accommodation component of their operations open at this time. That could change.
They'll be largely empty, because who really wants to stay in a hotel room? We all know hotel rooms aren't the cleanest places, but we've never had a pandemic going around the world so nobody really cared before.

I was reading that health authorities around the country say that they could double, even triple, their ICU beds relatively easy if needed.
If the rate of infection continues, by April 10 NSW's ICU beds will be at capacity and Victoria will be close behind.

They're about to change the testing requirements, but as usual News Corp articles are lacking in the details that people need. The travel requirement will be dropped, so more people will be able to be tested if feeling unwell. That's going to see cases go way up.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests