[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1126 Post by aaronjameslange » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:26 am

Bacon wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:34 pm
Southern interchange north-south is now bumped up to 90
Northbound only, southbound is still 60

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#1127 Post by aaronjameslange » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 am

So a bit of rain this morning and the entire motorway is down to 80km/h. Man do i hate variable speed signs. It was actually slower than port Wakefield road which has a fixed speed limit of 90km/h for the majority.
So I've come up with a very simple solution
Summer = Motorway
Winter = Port Wakefield Rd
At $900m it's the world's most expensive summer track

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [COM] Re: M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1128 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:33 am

aaronjameslange wrote:So a bit of rain this morning and the entire motorway is down to 80km/h. Man do i hate variable speed signs. It was actually slower than port Wakefield road which has a fixed speed limit of 90km/h for the majority.
Summer = Motorway
They do this on the south-eastern freeway as well, especially during fog. They are also probably testing the road surface given that it's our first proper concrete road.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1129 Post by rev » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:58 am

aaronjameslange wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 am
So a bit of rain this morning and the entire motorway is down to 80km/h. Man do i hate variable speed signs. It was actually slower than port Wakefield road which has a fixed speed limit of 90km/h for the majority.
Summer = Motorway
Port Wakefield road was a faster route with multiple traffic lights then a motorway without traffic lights?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1130 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:49 am

aaronjameslange wrote:
Summer = Motorway
It was the same last night - well it was 110 for a bit then it randomly changed to 80.

It was completely unneccessary IMO. Fog on the freeway, that's understandable, but a bit of rain. Really?

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1131 Post by SBD » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:50 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:49 am
aaronjameslange wrote:
Summer = Motorway
It was the same last night - well it was 110 for a bit then it randomly changed to 80.

It was completely unneccessary IMO. Fog on the freeway, that's understandable, but a bit of rain. Really?
This is the heaviest rain event since the surface and shoulders have been completed. Given the pictures of flooding on the adjacent bikeway, perhaps they wanted a little caution in making sure that the highway didn't have any unexpected problems. I'd guess it might get a reduced speed limit for the first king tide, especially if it is stormy.

Were there gusty crosswinds? Did they cause problems for trucks and road trains?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1132 Post by Goodsy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:10 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:50 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
aaronjameslange wrote:
Summer = Motorway

This is the heaviest rain event since the surface and shoulders have been completed. Given the pictures of flooding on the adjacent bikeway, perhaps they wanted a little caution in making sure that the highway didn't have any unexpected problems. I'd guess it might get a reduced speed limit for the first king tide, especially if it is stormy.

Were there gusty crosswinds? Did they cause problems for trucks and road trains?
Gusty crosswinds doesn't change the speed limit on Port Wakefield Road, why would it change it on the Northern Connector

SBD

#1133 Post by SBD » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:14 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:10 pm
SBD wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:

Gusty crosswinds doesn't change the speed limit on Port Wakefield Road, why would it change it on the Northern Connector
I don't know if it did, but possible answers would be:
1) This might have been the first time, and they want to make sure there is nothing unexpected
2) There is a lot less shelter for this road (at present until vegetation grows) than there is for PWR

I have certainly noticed other places with warning signs and windsocks. I don't think those sites have electronic variable speed limit signs. The road is not fully commissioned yet, I'm happy to know that they are checking for issues while it is still "under warranty" and can be remediated at builder's expense.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1134 Post by Goodsy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:17 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:14 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:10 pm
SBD wrote:

I don't know if it did, but possible answers would be:
1) This might have been the first time, and they want to make sure there is nothing unexpected
2) There is a lot less shelter for this road (at present until vegetation grows) than there is for PWR

I have certainly noticed other places with warning signs and windsocks. I don't think those sites have electronic variable speed limit signs. The road is not fully commissioned yet, I'm happy to know that they are checking for issues while it is still "under warranty" and can be remediated at builder's expense.
There's no shelter for trucks in between Virginia and Port Wakefield on PWR.. In fact there's no shelter from cross winds all the way to Port Augusta

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#1135 Post by aaronjameslange » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:49 pm

aaronjameslange wrote:
Summer = Motorway
I must have upset somebody because this afternoon ALL the electronic speed signs were off. Nada, nothing, not even a '110 when the above sign is blank' sign for 15km. It was a choose your own adventure as far as what speed you wanted to travel.

marbles
Gold-Member ;)

#1136 Post by marbles » Fri May 01, 2020 9:25 am

yea we were up and down this freeway last 2 days

going south there was road works on the left and speed limits were down to protect workers

however going north it looked like just becuase the concrete road was wet from the rain, they put the speed down to 80kms

also noticed, maybe been mentioned already, that heading south if you wanna turn left at port expressway, and head towards port wakefield/salisbury highway, there is no way to do it, there is simply no way to turn left to go back up into salisbury haha

Nort

#1137 Post by Nort » Fri May 01, 2020 11:18 am

marbles wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:25 am
also noticed, maybe been mentioned already, that heading south if you wanna turn left at port expressway, and head towards port wakefield/salisbury highway, there is no way to do it, there is simply no way to turn left to go back up into salisbury haha
Probably not worth the cost of building that exit, it would be quicker to exit at Port Wakefield Road as you cross it, so the only people using that exit would be people who missed that turn off.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1138 Post by Brucetiki » Fri May 01, 2020 11:34 am

Nort wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:18 am
marbles wrote:
Probably not worth the cost of building that exit, it would be quicker to exit at Port Wakefield Road as you cross it, so the only people using that exit would be people who missed that turn off.
Same logic with why there there's no southbound exit ramp at Waterloo Corner Rd

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1139 Post by Goodsy » Fri May 01, 2020 11:45 am

Nort wrote:
marbles wrote:
It's not the cost, it's to funnel traffic where they want it.. i.e curbing Induced demand. If every interchange could go in every direction then everyone would use it.

A better solution would be to build the Globe Derby interchange and connect it to Elder Smith Drive. Or they could build a spot to do a U-Turn in between the Prexy and Bolivar interchange. If you get stuck i bumper to bumper traffic (like I have once already) it's an 8km slog until you're able to get off the Northern Connector

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1140 Post by rev » Fri May 01, 2020 5:30 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:34 am
Nort wrote:
marbles wrote:
Same logic with why there there's no southbound exit ramp at Waterloo Corner Rd
What logic?
T2T there's an on ramp heading north off Port Road, and an off ramp heading south there as well.
Cant get off heading north, cant get on heading south.

Port Road is one of the major arterials, so is Salisbury Hwy.
Similar situation at Grand Junction Road.

Three major arterial roads, and not one of them has on/off ramps in all relevant directions for the NS motorway.
Not every one of them needs it in all directions, but surely they should have added them in all directions on at least one.