[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#691 Post by citywatcher » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:52 am

Dumbing down from a dumb clueless govt
Let's have another Bowden village !

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#692 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:57 pm

In the last few days the footpath was completed from Frome Road pedestrian crossing and along the front of Lot Fourteen. Looks like the new bus stop signage is also in and people taking advantage of the new seating. Nice to finally walk into work without having to navigate all the barriers and detours!

This is the progress of demolition round the back too. Pretty much at ground level in parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#693 Post by rev » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:54 pm

New Lot 14 artists impressions revealed as race to woo top tech firms gather pace
Matt Smith, Political Editor, The Advertiser
July 29, 2020 8:13pm
Subscriber only

Developers will be able to pitch their ideas for Lot Fourteen’s centrepiece building, which is aimed at attracting global tech firms to Adelaide.

The State Government will tomorrow release artist impressions of a proposed Entrepreneur and Innovation Centre, pictured, for the old hospital site on North Terrace

An expressions of interest process will also be announced to determine the preferred developer to complete the centre’s design and then finance, construct and own the building.

Premier Steven Marshall described Lot Fourteen as a beacon of hope for the next generation of South Australians and a way to stop the “brain drain of young talent that we have seen in the past.”

ImageImage
Entrepreneur and Innovation Centre, Lot Fourteen

“It’s going to drive jobs and start-ups and encourage entrepreneurship,” he said.

Lot Fourteen is already home to the Australian Space Agency, the Australian Institute for Machine Learning, the Australian Cyber Collaboration Centre, the Stone & Chalk Startup Hub and the MIT bigdata Living Lab.

Federal Cities and Urban Infrastructure Minister Alan Tudge said the centre would boost SA’s global profile.

“Investing in this precinct will provide a springboard for innovation and bring together South Australia’s leading abilities in space, defence, new technologies and entrepreneurship,” Mr Tudge said.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... d0e78cad06

That is meant to attract global tech firms? Lets hope that developers come up with something better.

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#694 Post by Plasmatron » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:27 am

I'm not sure whether that's trying to be the new D'Arenberg Cube or four sideways shipping containers stacked on top of each other.
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#695 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:04 am

Lol a beacon of hope for the next gen South Australians and single handedly stop Rn he brain drain... lol why not also investing in the arts and other industries. Bring an industry to our state that isn’t wine, or minimal mining? How’s the sub contract going? Is that still happening even?

I like what this brings but it’ll take more than a building to be that beacon of hope. What nonsense.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#696 Post by cmet » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:41 am

To be honest, this would be really big for Adelaide if this was able to bring a major tech company here, especially if it was their head Australian office.

rev

#697 Post by rev » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:15 am

LOL.
They need Zaha Hadid or Fender Katsalidis to design something. This is a chance to take a prime city location and build something unique, iconic and out of this world.
The Space Agency should have it's own building, something that is futuristic and sci-techy looking.
This whole Lot 14 thing is going to be another big ballsed up wasted opportunity, like the river front they wasted with a bio-med precinct and the torrens in general that's been a huge wasted opportunity, and like the inner Port river front that's another wasted opportunity.

New number plate slogan... "SA - The Wasted Opportunity State".

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#698 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:50 am

Not to be overly negative, but a) I really don’t think focusing on tech will stop the “brain drain” and b) this whole idea of attracting a large global tech company to SA is mostly a pipe-dream imo. There’s other industries that I think are far more likely to take off in SA than Tech and its associated start ups.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#699 Post by Nort » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:10 pm

cmet wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:41 am
To be honest, this would be really big for Adelaide if this was able to bring a major tech company here, especially if it was their head Australian office.
It would, but making a shiny looking precinct isn't what will bring them here.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#700 Post by how good is he » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:12 pm

Gnrc, that may [or may not?] be right but I am just curious to know what other industries you think are more likely to take off that you refer to?

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#701 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:19 pm

how good is he wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:12 pm
Gnrc, that may [or may not?] be right but I am just curious to know what other industries you think are more likely to take off that you refer to?
Higher education, food and agriculture, the arts, advanced manufacturing and renewables. Areas we either have some comparative advantage in or are already established.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#702 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:22 pm

New signage on North Terrace installed today.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#703 Post by how good is he » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:37 pm

Gnrc, I think all the things you mention [as you probably agree] are already established and have infrastructure in place to already grow employment from [be it Roseworthy/all the Unis/Tonsley etc] plus the international hospitality/Le Cordon Bleu school is coming to lot 14 from Tafe. The thing is Lot 14 are mainly new industries/new employment drivers that have no base or real infrastructure here yet.

rev

#704 Post by rev » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:54 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:19 pm
how good is he wrote:
Higher education, food and agriculture, the arts, advanced manufacturing and renewables. Areas we either have some comparative advantage in or are already established.
Advanced manufacturing and high tech industries can go hand in hand.

Higher Education is already established, and has taken a hit and will take a bigger hit as tension with China grows in the coming years.
Food & Agriculture is already established.
The Arts is already established.

Renewables. We don't develop any of that here so what's the point besides making greenies feel better? It's not an industry to create thousands of jobs, it's an industry that makes power companies (mostly foreign owned) richer.
But, what we should do is create a full renewables industry, where panels and other technologies are designed, developed and built here. That's a high tech industry. An Australian owned startup for "full cycle" renewables would be a perfect fit.

The space industry. We have the Australian Space Agency HQ at Lot 14 (or soon to be?). We have at least one firm here in Adelaide involved in the space industry/tech. I think they are based at Beverly, and I think they've got some contract or funding from NASA recently. They should be enticed to move in to a purpose built space industry facility/office space at Lot 14. And so should many other space industry firms around Australia. Bring them to Adelaide where they can be HQ'd right next to the Australian Space Agency HQ. We also have the worlds largest land based testing range in the West at Woomera. Design, develop, and build high tech space things here, and test them here as well. Full industry cycle.

We should be aiming to create a silicone valley type of scenario with high tech firms and startups across the board. But I think the primary focus should be on the space industry.
Defence firms like BAE Australia, Lockheed, NAVAL Group, etc should be encouraged to move their Australian HQ operations to Lot 14 as well.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#705 Post by SBD » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:50 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:54 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:19 pm
how good is he wrote:
Advanced manufacturing and high tech industries can go hand in hand.

Higher Education is already established, and has taken a hit and will take a bigger hit as tension with China grows in the coming years.
Food & Agriculture is already established.
The Arts is already established.

Renewables. We don't develop any of that here so what's the point besides making greenies feel better? It's not an industry to create thousands of jobs, it's an industry that makes power companies (mostly foreign owned) richer.
But, what we should do is create a full renewables industry, where panels and other technologies are designed, developed and built here. That's a high tech industry. An Australian owned startup for "full cycle" renewables would be a perfect fit.

The space industry. We have the Australian Space Agency HQ at Lot 14 (or soon to be?). We have at least one firm here in Adelaide involved in the space industry/tech. I think they are based at Beverly, and I think they've got some contract or funding from NASA recently. They should be enticed to move in to a purpose built space industry facility/office space at Lot 14. And so should many other space industry firms around Australia. Bring them to Adelaide where they can be HQ'd right next to the Australian Space Agency HQ. We also have the worlds largest land based testing range in the West at Woomera. Design, develop, and build high tech space things here, and test them here as well. Full industry cycle.

We should be aiming to create a silicone valley type of scenario with high tech firms and startups across the board. But I think the primary focus should be on the space industry.
Defence firms like BAE Australia, Lockheed, NAVAL Group, etc should be encouraged to move their Australian HQ operations to Lot 14 as well.
"Advanced manufacturing" manufactures things. They are more likely made here if also designed here than designed somewhere else then made here.

Tindo Solar web site says it manufactures solar panels at Mawson Lakes, so there is "renewables design and manufacture" in SA.

The hype a few years ago about self-driving cars has gone quiet because the last bit is hard. Design and manufacture is one thing, but if SA brains could develop the assurance and testing environments, we'd be on a winner in a field nobody else is currently working. Sure, compliance testing is not as sexy as making self-driving cars, but what gives you the confidence to be a passenger? The builder's slick marketing, or the fact that the systems passed the best tests available?

There is something to be said for having everything concentrated in a small area to encourage casual interactions. The alternative of having things distributed across the entire metro area or state could give the impression that there is a much larger base here - leading to more investment and becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy. There's at least one company in Adelaide making bits for F-35 jet fighters, too.