News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#4576 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:53 pm

rubberman wrote:I went to a public meeting with the Liberal Member for Adelaide and the Planning Minister.

I asked about the Adelaide tram loop.

She was forthright in her opinion that buses do a good job.

So, no tram loop if the Libs get back.

Does anyone know the ALP position?
That's awful.

There's been little announcement from Labor outside of reversing privatisation, so hopefully we hear something soon.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4577 Post by Spotto » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:20 pm

rubberman wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:50 pm
I went to a public meeting with the Liberal Member for Adelaide and the Planning Minister.

I asked about the Adelaide tram loop.

She was forthright in her opinion that buses do a good job.

So, no tram loop if the Libs get back.
Which is a stark contrast to their election platform of "People Focused Public Transport" that showed their interest in completing the tram loop and extending to North Adelaide, and their later reasoning for rejecting Labor's proposed Norwood tram extension saying that they only have an interest in developing trams within the parklands.

claybro

#4578 Post by claybro » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:30 pm

Don’t trust anything the Libs say on PT. It’s not in their DNA, just a reluctant necessary funding drain. Particularly anything that invokes steel rails.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#4579 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:13 pm

Classic. The only reason the Liberals here are such big advocates of buses is because they never have to use buses and therefore don't realise how unreliable, slow and tedious to use they are. Hopefully Labor announces more rail plans leading up to the election.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4580 Post by Spotto » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:42 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:13 pm
Classic. The only reason the Liberals here are such big advocates of buses is because they never have to use buses and therefore don't realise how unreliable, slow and tedious to use they are. Hopefully Labor announces more rail plans leading up to the election.
Force politicians of all parties to use public transport to get to/from work for 3 months, then at the end tell them they have to keep using it until they fix it.

See how quickly things get done then...

Patrick_27

#4581 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:45 pm

I must say, I'm surprised that Labor haven't gone on the attack over the fact that the Liberals not only didn't go through with their plans to build the turning track at the KWS/North Terrace intersection (let's be frank, they were never going to do it, they would have seen the engineering reports that went against it - it just made for a good election storm), but also the fact that there has been no progress on the North Adelaide tram extension and city 'loop', both of which they promised.

ChillyPhilly

#4582 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:52 pm

I'm hoping that we'll see some public transport announcements from Labor yet. I know Malinauskas is pro-public transit and that he uses it regularly.

Reversing privatisation is massive, but it will be financially costly.

I would really like to see an announcement for the electrification of the Outer Harbour and Grange lines - it could make good juxtaposition of the Liberals' shockingly bad handling of the Gawler line electrification.

Big ticket items:
- Trams in general - it'd be interesting to see Labor build and push a case for a tram right through Marshall's electorate along The Parade (which really needs a tram). Plus trams to the airport, along Unley Road and up Prospect Road.
- Revive the Port Dock Station project. Only Knoll in his anti-rail vendetta was opposed to this project.
- Rail to Mt Barker.
- Restoration of regional passenger rail.
- Station upgrades (proper rebuilds and modernisation).
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rubberman

#4583 Post by rubberman » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:59 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:52 pm
I'm hoping that we'll see some public transport announcements from Labor yet. I know Malinauskas is pro-public transit and that he uses it regularly.

Reversing privatisation is massive, but it will be financially costly.

I would really like to see an announcement for the electrification of the Outer Harbour and Grange lines - it could make good juxtaposition of the Liberals' shockingly bad handling of the Gawler line electrification.

Big ticket items:
- Trams in general - it'd be interesting to see Labor build and push a case for a tram right through Marshall's electorate along The Parade (which really needs a tram). Plus trams to the airport, along Unley Road and up Prospect Road.
- Revive the Port Dock Station project. Only Knoll in his anti-rail vendetta was opposed to this project.
- Rail to Mt Barker.
- Restoration of regional passenger rail.
- Station upgrades (proper rebuilds and modernisation).
In a follow-up to my question to the Lib candidate for Adelaide, I also asked the ALP candidate. Her response was that the ALP was prioritising getting the trains and trams back into government hands.

So, that's pretty much a "No!" from the ALP too.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#4584 Post by A-Town » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:43 pm

I'd much rather see the money being put aside to reverse the privatisation of trams and trains to go towards actual new projects. Extending the tramline to at least North Adelaide would be a good start. I catch the tram daily, and there hasn't been any changes to reliability or timetables since they were privatised.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4585 Post by Spotto » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:18 pm

A-Town wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:43 pm
I'd much rather see the money being put aside to reverse the privatisation of trams and trains to go towards actual new projects. Extending the tramline to at least North Adelaide would be a good start. I catch the tram daily, and there hasn't been any changes to reliability or timetables since they were privatised.
Agreed. The struggling shops on O’Connell Street and the new 88 O’Connell development would benefit greatly from a tram extension.

Then, casual transport users will be able to jump on a free convenient tram that takes them exactly where they want to go, instead of trying to figure out which paid bus at which stop will take them there or walk all the way to the City Connector bus then all the way to O’Connell Street after being dropped off; or try to figure out which paid bus will take them there.

If transport is dead simple to use, people will use it.

Nathan

#4586 Post by Nathan » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:52 pm

I agree as well. I think the privatisation of running was dumb, but yes priority should be on expansion of the network — particularly that North Adelaide/Prospect line (with a simple 3 line system — Glenelg/RAH, Ent Centre/Botanic, Prospect/South Tce)

Waewick

#4587 Post by Waewick » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:34 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:Classic. The only reason the Liberals here are such big advocates of buses is because they never have to use buses and therefore don't realise how unreliable, slow and tedious to use they are. Hopefully Labor announces more rail plans leading up to the election.
I'm a tram person, I recall asking my local member why on earth we weren't leaving a Clearway for trams to Glenside , the answer was not everyone likes trams.

I get buses are more flexible, but what we need is a good example of an extension that works that changes people's attitudes

Talking to anyone +50 , they don't seem to be fans and that is a big % of the vote in SA

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4588 Post by omada » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:18 am

I don't have an issue with the privatisation, lets see how it works out for commuters and if it saves the govt money, then the savings can be put toward new infrastructure.

Nort

#4589 Post by Nort » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:37 pm

Labor took tram network expansion to the last election and got beat, I doubt they'll want to make announcements in that space a cornerstone of their election platform. That said if they get in I'd expect to see a revival of some of the plans before the 2026 election.

whatstheirnamesmom
Gold-Member ;)

#4590 Post by whatstheirnamesmom » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:31 pm

I think the idea of network expansion is unpopular among those along, and partially beyond, the route. EastLink had many vocal opponents in the form of traders, locals, and those who lived near the foothills adjacent The Parade and Magill Road (and therefore drive along the route).

The demographic of that area rely heavily on private cars for transport, and the idea of a tram line is disruptive, congestion-causing, and unsightly — in their minds.

I can understand why Labor has avoided all talk of network expansion — because some (not all) residents and businesses in inner-city areas are resistant to the idea (even though I bet they would love it after implementation).

I am hoping, however, that Labor gets it underway if they are elected. But not holding my breath.