M1 South-Eastern Freeway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: M1 South-Eastern Freeway

#16 Post by Norman » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:49 pm

This project is a part of the while South-eastern freeway becoming a Managed Motorway with additional technologies such as lane use management, incident detection and others. This will bring it in line with existing freeways like the North-South Motorway.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:07 pm

Side topic, but related, whenever are they going to duplicate the Swanport Bridge? This is well overdue by now.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

bits
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by bits » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:14 pm

Norman wrote:This project is a part of the while South-eastern freeway becoming a Managed Motorway with additional technologies such as lane use management, incident detection and others. This will bring it in line with existing freeways like the North-South Motorway.
South-eastern freeway is an existing freeway.
How awful to think SE Freeway would aspire to be like the inferior North-South Motorway.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:29 am

bits wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:14 pm
Norman wrote:This project is a part of the while South-eastern freeway becoming a Managed Motorway with additional technologies such as lane use management, incident detection and others. This will bring it in line with existing freeways like the North-South Motorway.
How awful to think SE Freeway would aspire to be like the inferior North-South Motorway.
In what way is it inferior?

[Shuz]

#20 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:16 pm

Well the NS Motorway technically isn't a Freeway. It's a very expensive and glorified arterial road. The on and off ramp configurations are pretty bad.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

claybro

#21 Post by claybro » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:25 pm

Norman wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:29 am
bits wrote:
Speed limit.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:17 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:25 pm
Norman wrote:
bits wrote:

Speed limit.
Only in the urban sections. North of The Port River Expressway the speed limit is 110km/h.

When I was making a comparison to the NS Motorway I wasn't referring to speed limits, I was referring to technologies.

claybro

#23 Post by claybro » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:50 pm

Agreed. The N/S motorway despite its lower speed in the middle section, is as good as the SE freeway with better tech. In Perth the Graham Farmer freeway, and near city sections of the Michael and Kwinana freeways are 80km/h and of no better quality than Adelaide’s motorway. One wonders if they avoided the term “ freeway” in SA so as not to frighten people.

bits
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by bits » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:26 am

Ways South Easter Freeway is better than North South Motorway.
Emergency stopping lanes.
Emergency telephones.
On/off ramp design.
Sight lines.

What features of the North South motorway would anyone want to replicate on the South eastern freeway?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#25 Post by rev » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:47 am

Norman wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:17 pm
claybro wrote:
Norman wrote:

Speed limit.
Only in the urban sections. North of The Port River Expressway the speed limit is 110km/h.

When I was making a comparison to the NS Motorway I wasn't referring to speed limits, I was referring to technologies.
This is annoying to be honest. What's the point of a restricted access, free flowing motorway, or freeway, if speed limits have to be reduced in certain areas because of urban development around that bit of infrastructure? What's the reasoning behind it, people are too stupid to use the motorway/freeway?
If some drivers are too stupid, or timid, to do higher speeds on motorways and freeways, they shouldn't use them or better yet just take public transport or get someone else to drive them.

With some of the behavior I've seen on the motorway, particularly in the left and middle lanes, with morons behind the wheel of a car, going well below the speed limit simply to either change from the middle lane to the left lane, and/or to exit the motorway, it's amazing that there hasn't been a serious pile up yet.
The amount of times you come up from the trench towards Regency Road, and some imbecile particularly in the left lane has slowed down to 60km/h or slower because they can't maintain their speed on the ascent coming out of the trench, and/or they want to take the exit is beyond belief.

Then there's the morons entering the motorway from the Port Road onramp heading north, two lanes merge into one, so many times you see two vehicles refusing to relent and let the other in and then they both just end up slowing right down almost to a standstill.

The government should really have run a full blown advertising campaign educating people.
That, or use the extensive surveillance camera network along the motorway to identify vehicles/drivers and suspend their licenses for such stupidly dangerous actions. Don't even fine them, just get them off the roads before they cause a serious crash.

Not to mention the amount of debris that falls off trucks and what not that's left on the motorway, and the freeway for that matter before it's even cleaned up.
How hard is it for the department, or local councils, to run a couple street sweepers in the early hours of the morning before the traffic picks up?

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by A-Town » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:56 am

rev wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:47 am
Norman wrote:
claybro wrote:

Speed limit.

This is annoying to be honest. What's the point of a restricted access, free flowing motorway, or freeway, if speed limits have to be reduced in certain areas because of urban development around that bit of infrastructure? What's the reasoning behind it, people are too stupid to use the motorway/freeway?
If some drivers are too stupid, or timid, to do higher speeds on motorways and freeways, they shouldn't use them or better yet just take public transport or get someone else to drive them.

With some of the behavior I've seen on the motorway, particularly in the left and middle lanes, with morons behind the wheel of a car, going well below the speed limit simply to either change from the middle lane to the left lane, and/or to exit the motorway, it's amazing that there hasn't been a serious pile up yet.
The amount of times you come up from the trench towards Regency Road, and some imbecile particularly in the left lane has slowed down to 60km/h or slower because they can't maintain their speed on the ascent coming out of the trench, and/or they want to take the exit is beyond belief.

Then there's the morons entering the motorway from the Port Road onramp heading north, two lanes merge into one, so many times you see two vehicles refusing to relent and let the other in and then they both just end up slowing right down almost to a standstill.

The government should really have run a full blown advertising campaign educating people.
That, or use the extensive surveillance camera network along the motorway to identify vehicles/drivers and suspend their licenses for such stupidly dangerous actions. Don't even fine them, just get them off the roads before they cause a serious crash.

Not to mention the amount of debris that falls off trucks and what not that's left on the motorway, and the freeway for that matter before it's even cleaned up.
How hard is it for the department, or local councils, to run a couple street sweepers in the early hours of the morning before the traffic picks up?
Exactly. Many Adelaide drivers, sadly, are woeful at negotiating freeways/motorways. I can't remember the last time I was able to smoothly enter the NS Motorway just north of the Brickworks without people in front slowing down to 40kmph because they either didn't merge in time or for some other unknown reason.

I would hope that negotiation freeway entrances, exits, merging in busy traffic, staying in the left lane when going 80kmph or faster etc are things that learner drivers are taught and tested on.

SBD

#27 Post by SBD » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:52 pm

A-Town wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:56 am
rev wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:47 am
Norman wrote:

Exactly. Many Adelaide drivers, sadly, are woeful at negotiating freeways/motorways. I can't remember the last time I was able to smoothly enter the NS Motorway just north of the Brickworks without people in front slowing down to 40kmph because they either didn't merge in time or for some other unknown reason.

I would hope that negotiation freeway entrances, exits, merging in busy traffic, staying in the left lane when going 80kmph or faster etc are things that learner drivers are taught and tested on.
Is it the recently-licensed drivers causing problems, or the ones who got their licences before they needed to know how to merge into multiple lanes of fast-moving traffic? Since licences are issued for 10 years, it would be an employment opportunity for examiners to require drivers to pass the practical test every time we renew our licence. That would need to be combined with an extended blitz on detecting drivers without a current licence!

Since most drivers consider they have above-average skills, it should be a vote-winner to get those other drivers with inferior skills off the road :banana:

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#28 Post by cocoiadrop » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:37 am

Maybe high speed driving hours could be a part of the 75 hour requirement on a learners permit (though overseas drivers are exempt from that).

SBD

#29 Post by SBD » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:38 pm

cocoiadrop wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:37 am
Maybe high speed driving hours could be a part of the 75 hour requirement on a learners permit (though overseas drivers are exempt from that).
75 hours is more than enough time to gain the skills, if those hours are used properly.

If you live near Parafield or Aldinga, there are pilots overhead with well under 75 hours practice.

For the younger friends I have helped to get their car licences, my criteria were that I would have failed if they were not up to a standard where I would be prepared to lend them my car by the time they were legal to drive solo. I got my licence long enough ago that there was no minimum required number of hours.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by muzzamo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:36 am

I noticed yesterday when driving through that the new variable speed limit signs in the tunnel and on the approaches are bidirectional, ie they are on both sides of the gantry. You can see this in the renders if you look close enough.

Presumably this is so they can close one tunnel off during and emergency and also when they are doing maintenance and go contraflow.
IMG_4939.png
IMG_4940.png