News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#5866 Post by Ho Really » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:55 pm

Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#5867 Post by Ho Really » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:57 pm

This one with the Airport light rail CBD loop.

Ho Really

#5868 Post by Ho Really » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:00 pm

This one with the O-bahn converted to light rail from TTP to Airport and underground from the East Parklands through the CBD until Richmond.

Ho Really

#5869 Post by Ho Really » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:10 pm

The Adelaide Airport light rail loops in the CBD with stations (not shown) at the RAH, Light Square, Whitmore Square and Adelaide Parklands terminal.

Ho Really

#5870 Post by Ho Really » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:13 pm

A variation of the previous one with the Adelaide Airport light rail looping in the CBD.

Ho Really

#5871 Post by Ho Really » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:16 pm

And the one that is probably the cheapest option with three subways in the CBD with the Adelaide Airport light rail to Parklands terminal and Adelaide Railway Station.

I have many more options but I won't bore you guys anymore.

Cheers

ChillyPhilly

#5872 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:49 am

I love all of these!

This has been one of my ideas:

It involves the extension of the Grange line south and east, with new stops at Henley Beach, West Beach, Harbour Town and Adelaide Airport. It would then link with existing rail and also the CBD rail loop.

I found myself to be of the opinion that ARS would be ditched for metro services and instead used for intra/interstate rail. As part of the CBD Loop, a new purpose-built station would be constructed below existing ARS for metro services. I still have existing rail between ARS and Adelaide Showground retained, as this would allow for easier continuous running.

I have a Google Map that I've added to over the past year with all sorts of transport and infrastructure ideas.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#5873 Post by RetroGamer87 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:18 am

System 4J gets my vote.

Llessur2002

#5874 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:21 am

I finally had a chance to travel on one of the hybrid trains today. It was much quieter and the journey was a nicer experience because of it.

It's a thumbs up from me.

Ho Really

#5875 Post by Ho Really » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:43 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:49 am
I love all of these!

[...]
I've got more...The thing is when you start you don't stop coming up with new ideas or concepts. I didn't add those that had the line from Ovingham go all the way to Unley and onto Millswood. Add to these one or two more cross town subways and you'd have good coverage. I mean it all depends how much you want to underground the system and how much you want to spend.

I think the TODs and infill are very important. Get these going then put in this infrastructure. Plan it over the next 30 years. Anyone here who has been to Singapore would understand what a well planned metro system is. It's well integrated into the commercial buildings, shopping complexes, etc. In Singapore for example places like ION Orchard, City Hall, Marina Bay Sands just to name a few.

I'll probably miss out seeing anything like this becoming reality because of age but you younger ones should be pushing for something like this to happen.

Cheers

P.S. Next post see an example of Ovingham, Unley and Millswood. With the bonus of extra subways from south/southeast to northeast.

Ho Really

#5876 Post by Ho Really » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:04 am

One of my earliest concepts with the Gawler line going through the CBD to Unley and onto Millswood. With also new subways running from the northeast to south and southeast.

Cheers

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#5877 Post by MT269 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:28 am

In contrast to the well received suggestions of demolishing stations for the purpose of amalgamating them, I was wondering if there would be enough demand for a new station immediately north of the Onkaprainga River bridge on the Seaford line. There seems to be a modest number of houses nearby, and it would save folks from having to go to Noarlunga or even Seaford Meadows to make the train.

I was also thinking that if there is enough demand, an additional station about 1.5kms south of Hallett Cove Beach could be built to serve the shoeboxes that will inevitably end up there, as well as saving folks from having to venture up to 1.5kms north in all sorts of conditions. There is also an industrial area just to the south which has no rail access.

Maybe even a branch line to the west to serve the ocean as well, via some sort of pier.

And how was the concept of closing Clapham, Hawthorn, and Milswood received in the 1990s when the line to Belair became single line operation? Was it met with roses being planted on parliment house, and celebrations?

claybro

#5878 Post by claybro » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:50 pm

MT269 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:28 am

And how was the concept of closing Clapham, Hawthorn, and Milswood received in the 1990s when the line to Belair became single line operation? Was it met with roses being planted on parliment house, and celebrations?
Stations on that line were poorly patronised- and although there was some angst from the usual handful of commuters that didn't want THEIR station to close, the general mood in the community was that there would be less disruption to their leafy suburbs once those stations closed. 99.9% of residents in those suburbs would never have set foot on PT in their lives and couldn't care less.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5879 Post by Norman » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:55 pm

MT269 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:28 am
In contrast to the well received suggestions of demolishing stations for the purpose of amalgamating them, I was wondering if there would be enough demand for a new station immediately north of the Onkaprainga River bridge on the Seaford line. There seems to be a modest number of houses nearby, and it would save folks from having to go to Noarlunga or even Seaford Meadows to make the train.

I was also thinking that if there is enough demand, an additional station about 1.5kms south of Hallett Cove Beach could be built to serve the shoeboxes that will inevitably end up there, as well as saving folks from having to venture up to 1.5kms north in all sorts of conditions. There is also an industrial area just to the south which has no rail access.

Maybe even a branch line to the west to serve the ocean as well, via some sort of pier.

In the 1980s, before the Southern Expressway was built, the Seaford Line Extension was proposed to go along Old Honeypot Road, with a station just south of Cardijn College. The line would then continue south along what was then proposed to be called the "Noarlunga Freeway" and terminated at Perry Road.

PeFe

#5880 Post by PeFe » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:33 am

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=RtaFA8

Gawler line closure for pedestrian crossing installations and Elizabeth turnback