[PRO] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 183m | 42 Levels | Mixed Use

#496 Post by MicBara » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:20 pm

Benm16 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:18 pm
MicBara wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:14 pm
Algernon wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:27 am

Music to my ears! I have had awful experiences in observation deck restaurants and it's almost certainly because all the money went into paying the rent and the meal resembles a microwave TV dinner
Yep it's a common request/concept but when you look into the economics/business case then what you really want to do with an observation deck is get people up, wow them with something different, keep them long enough to feel like the juice was worth the squeeze, have them purchase a memento and get them out again.

To be honest, my approach to most things is just find out what others have done, what worked, what didn't. Do what worked, don't do what didn't.

Love your thinking and your push to bring something new for the people of Adelaide. Speaking of observation decks I feel like the most successful one I have ever visited would be the Sky Garden in the Walkie Talkie in London. If you had something of that nature across the three floors that would be pretty magnificent but I am sure whatever kind of space you create will be welcomed by us all.
Thanks for that, I'm heading to London on the 9th of Jan so I'll go have a look. We're touring a stack of buildings in London and Scotland to inspect examples of new connecting with old and to see what other Freemasons secrets we can cram into the design.
I've been to the observation decks in Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland, Dubai BK, New York ESB, Shanghai, HK, Paris, KL (phew, more than I thought when I took stock).

We can't compete with some of those locations for views, especially not at night.
During the day our own unique blend of green, gold and blue is still beautiful and worth looking at, but night time will need something a little bit tricky and cool. I can't post everything we're planning but we'll do our best to make sure it's worth a visit.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

#497 Post by Mpol02 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:18 am

I live in London atm and feel it’s one of the few cities that blends old and new in such an unapologetic way.

I hope you get inspired!

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#498 Post by Benm16 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:47 am

MicBara wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:20 pm
Benm16 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:18 pm
MicBara wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:14 pm

Yep it's a common request/concept but when you look into the economics/business case then what you really want to do with an observation deck is get people up, wow them with something different, keep them long enough to feel like the juice was worth the squeeze, have them purchase a memento and get them out again.

To be honest, my approach to most things is just find out what others have done, what worked, what didn't. Do what worked, don't do what didn't.

Love your thinking and your push to bring something new for the people of Adelaide. Speaking of observation decks I feel like the most successful one I have ever visited would be the Sky Garden in the Walkie Talkie in London. If you had something of that nature across the three floors that would be pretty magnificent but I am sure whatever kind of space you create will be welcomed by us all.
Thanks for that, I'm heading to London on the 9th of Jan so I'll go have a look. We're touring a stack of buildings in London and Scotland to inspect examples of new connecting with old and to see what other Freemasons secrets we can cram into the design.
I've been to the observation decks in Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland, Dubai BK, New York ESB, Shanghai, HK, Paris, KL (phew, more than I thought when I took stock).

We can't compete with some of those locations for views, especially not at night.
During the day our own unique blend of green, gold and blue is still beautiful and worth looking at, but night time will need something a little bit tricky and cool. I can't post everything we're planning but we'll do our best to make sure it's worth a visit.

Awesome, Yes definitely check it out. I have also been to a lot of observation decks around the world and it would have to be the most unique one I have seen so far. The interior is so impressive you almost forget about the view outside. Enjoy mate, I hope you find all the inspiration you need. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#499 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:23 pm

MicBara wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:11 am
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:51 pm
MicBara wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:52 pm
last
Is it still going to sparkle like you said mic? ✨
Shhh.. the lodged plans have no lighting framework. First step is get the height, heritage, traffic and use case approved.

Then we'll lodge an amendment for any last minute changes and... dazzle plans (not to be confused with dazzle land).
That is one hella fire chandelier btw Micheal 🔥, looking forward to its completion
Attachments
IMG_0669.jpeg

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#500 Post by MicBara » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:30 pm

Not 100% set yet but the idea of the light pillars is to mirror the original hall shape and create a canvas for light art.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#501 Post by A-Town » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:10 pm

Excellent work, MicBara and team. Really looking forward to seeing this one go up - will be a game changer for Adelaide.

The observation deck sounds like it will be fantastic.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#502 Post by rev » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:16 am

A-Town wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:10 pm
Excellent work, MicBara and team. Really looking forward to seeing this one go up - will be a game changer for Adelaide.

The observation deck sounds like it will be fantastic.
Hopefully it acts as a catalyst, especially if the glass facade turns out as good as it looks in the renders.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#503 Post by ml69 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:46 pm

MicBara … really impressed that you guys are trying to do something a little different with this tower rather than the standard “cram as much floor space in for least cost” development model that we usually see in Adelaide. You guys deserve every success with this proposal.

Ursus Maritimus
High Rise Poster!

#504 Post by Ursus Maritimus » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:59 pm

I'm barracking hard for this to get up. Adelaide's first 'true' skyscraper and its first proper observation deck. I would pay good money to visit it.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#505 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:21 am

Ursus Maritimus wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:59 pm
I'm barracking hard for this to get up. Adelaide's first 'true' skyscraper and its first proper observation deck. I would pay good money to visit it.
Same here. The observation deck would be amazing to visit. Even for locals you could visit every now and then and it would be enjoyable every single time.

belivesinadsy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#506 Post by belivesinadsy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:26 pm

prometheus2704
Gold-Member ;)

#507 Post by prometheus2704 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:24 pm

If they can't get the museum idea off the ground I'd love to see a new performing arts aspect built into these double-height floors! retractable tiered seating, green rooms and dressing facilities. Could be a new modern performance space promoting and fostering South Australian talent. I personally know how hard it is to find decent performance space for developing new works/companies here in Adelaide.

Add in a museum of contemporary visual art as well maybe?

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#508 Post by Nort » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:50 pm

prometheus2704 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:24 pm
If they can't get the museum idea off the ground I'd love to see a new performing arts aspect built into these double-height floors! retractable tiered seating, green rooms and dressing facilities. Could be a new modern performance space promoting and fostering South Australian talent. I personally know how hard it is to find decent performance space for developing new works/companies here in Adelaide.

That's a cool idea, but is there any organisation with the budget to pay for it currently in the position of wanting such a space?

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!

#509 Post by GrowAdelaide » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:47 am

Puff piece in The Advertiser about resistance to this based on location if anyone can post it.

prometheus2704
Gold-Member ;)

#510 Post by prometheus2704 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:03 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:50 pm
prometheus2704 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:24 pm

That's a cool idea, but is there any organisation with the budget to pay for it currently in the position of wanting such a space?
It would absolutely have to be a philanthropic organisation. There's no government appetite for anything related to investment in the arts that isn't related to one of the already established organisations. So this is a complete and utter pipedream unless the Masons themselves want to set up such an organisation