[COM] Festival Plaza Tower 1 | 115m | 27 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Festival Plaza Incl. 115m Tower | $800 million

#1996 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:39 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:21 pm
Are you wondering about their committment to a city campus?

I think there are many operational reasons that would explain a smaller start. For example, shifting building end dates likely would have been a challenge for timetabling so they've probably only moved the more straightforward courses now.
The information I heard was that enrolment numbers across many of the courses originally offered to be taught out of the CBD building are not high enough to justify teaching there - hence students being amalgamated back into the existing courses at Tonsley.

It's important to point out that this is entirely heresay and, even if true, probably just warrants a tweaking of course offerings etc.

I certainly haven't heard anything that would suggest a lack of commitment to the location.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1997 Post by SRW » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:55 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:39 pm
SRW wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:21 pm
Are you wondering about their committment to a city campus?

I think there are many operational reasons that would explain a smaller start. For example, shifting building end dates likely would have been a challenge for timetabling so they've probably only moved the more straightforward courses now.
The information I heard was that enrolment numbers across many of the courses originally offered to be taught out of the CBD building are not high enough to justify teaching there - hence students being amalgamated back into the existing courses at Tonsley.

It's important to point out that this is entirely heresay and, even if true, probably just warrants a tweaking of course offerings etc.

I certainly haven't heard anything that would suggest a lack of commitment to the location.
Oh I see! Domestic enrolments are lower across much of the sector, so there's probably some truth to that.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly

#1998 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:27 pm

A quick one.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ChillyPhilly

#1999 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:10 am

I may have missed it, but Allianz are taking up some space within the building.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#2000 Post by arki » Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:54 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:10 am
I may have missed it, but Allianz are taking up some space within the building.
Same with Westpac/BankSA but I don't think they will be in until next year.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#2001 Post by arki » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:16 pm

I was against a second walker tower here but now that I have seen this beauty, I take it back!

This will completely transform the look of our skyline and in the most prominent of positions. Its a mini and refreshed Rialto.

Plans announced for second skyscraper in Festival Plaza

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 6d4575?amp
One of Adelaide’s tallest skyscrapers will be constructed in the heart of the CBD next to Parliament House, in what the Premier says is a sign South Australia is “growing up”.

One of Adelaide’s tallest skyscrapers will be constructed in the heart of the CBD next to Parliament House in what the Premier says is a sign that South Australia is “growing up”.

The state government will on Tuesday unveil Walker Corporation’s second high-rise development for Festival Plaza – a “sleek” 38-storey tower that will be home to almost 10,000 workers and is forecast to generate $1.3bn in annual economic activity for the precinct.

At 149m, it will dwarf the existing 29-storey One Festival Tower and stand more than 10 times taller than Walker Corporation’s initial plans for a three-storey retail building.
The new plans include 36 floors of commercial office space, an option for 3000sqm of public civic space over four levels, a grand glass foyer, two floors of high-quality food and beverage space, terrace-level dining and 800sqm of additional public plaza.

The foyer will offer continuous sight lines between the plaza and Parliament House.

The original retail building had been locked in after a contract was signed by the former Liberal government and Walker Corporation in 2021. But the Labor government said it was open to approving a second tower, and a formal proposal was submitted early last year.

Cabinet has approved an agreement to pursue the development, and planning approval will now be sought.

Subject to planning approvals and tenancy agreements, construction on the project is expected to start in 2025 before the tower is completed as early as mid-2027. The construction period is expected to create 1300 jobs.

Premier Peter Malinauskas applauded the development.

“This new tower speaks to the growing confidence in South Australia, which now has the lowest unemployment rate in the country and the nation’s strongest economy” he said.

Walker Corporation managing director and chief executive David Gallant said the tower will lead to a terrific outcome for Adelaide.

“It reinforces Lang’s ultimate goal that Festival Plaza becomes one of the world’s most celebrated squares,” he said.
Last edited by arki on Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Smithy84
Gold-Member ;)

#2002 Post by Smithy84 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:17 pm

On the Tiser website.

149m, 38 level commercial office tower to be announced on Tuesday.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#2003 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:25 pm

Holy shit Holy shit Holy shit, amazing

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2004 Post by ml69 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:26 pm

arki wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:16 pm
I was against a second walker tower here but now that I have seen this beauty, I take it back!

This will completely transform the look of our skyline and in the most prominent of positions. Its a mini and refreshed Rialto.

Plans announced for second skyscraper in Festival Plaza

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 6d4575?amp
One of Adelaide’s tallest skyscrapers will be constructed in the heart of the CBD next to Parliament House, in what the Premier says is a sign South Australia is “growing up”.

One of Adelaide’s tallest skyscrapers will be constructed in the heart of the CBD next to Parliament House in what the Premier says is a sign that South Australia is “growing up”.

The state government will on Tuesday unveil Walker Corporation’s second high-rise development for Festival Plaza – a “sleek” 38-storey tower that will be home to almost 10,000 workers and is forecast to generate $1.3bn in annual economic activity for the precinct.

At 149m, it will dwarf the existing 29-storey One Festival Tower and stand more than 10 times taller than Walker Corporation’s initial plans for a three-storey retail building.
The new plans include 36 floors of commercial office space, an option for 3000sqm of public civic space over four levels, a grand glass foyer, two floors of high-quality food and beverage space, terrace-level dining and 800sqm of additional public plaza.

The foyer will offer continuous sight lines between the plaza and Parliament House.

The original retail building had been locked in after a contract was signed by the former Liberal government and Walker Corporation in 2021. But the Labor government said it was open to approving a second tower, and a formal proposal was submitted early last year.

Cabinet has approved an agreement to pursue the development, and planning approval will now be sought.

Subject to planning approvals and tenancy agreements, construction on the project is expected to start in 2025 before the tower is completed as early as mid-2027. The construction period is expected to create 1300 jobs.

Premier Peter Malinauskas applauded the development.

“This new tower speaks to the growing confidence in South Australia, which now has the lowest unemployment rate in the country and the nation’s strongest economy” he said.

Walker Corporation managing director and chief executive David Gallant said the tower will lead to a terrific outcome for Adelaide.

“It reinforces Lang’s ultimate goal that Festival Plaza becomes one of the world’s most celebrated squares,” he said.
Completely agree Arki! I always felt that the first tower should have had a slimmer footprint, but be taller. This second tower fits the bill perfectly. Looks like a ripper!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2005 Post by SRW » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:32 pm

What do we, the public, as owners of the land, get out of this deal?

We've chipped in $220 million to pretty the plaza and prime rents for Walker in now two overheight towers on public land. Do we get reimbursed? Will Walker contribute to a concert hall or upgrade to Festival Centre? What's our ROI?
Keep Adelaide Weird

abc
Legendary Member!

#2006 Post by abc » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:13 pm

"at 149m"

its 1m short of a skyscraper :lol:

the most Adelaide thing ever

ChillyPhilly

[COM] Re: [COM] Re: Festival Plaza Incl. 115m Tower | $800 million

#2007 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 pm

SRW wrote:What do we, the public, as owners of the land, get out of this deal?

We've chipped in $220 million to pretty the plaza and prime rents for Walker in now two overheight towers on public land. Do we get reimbursed? Will Walker contribute to a concert hall or upgrade to Festival Centre? What's our ROI?
This is my concern.

It is a really nice design and profile.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2008 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:45 am

I was originally against a second tower, though this looks superb and complements Festival Tower. Simple elegant design with curves, height and finally not a flat roof line. Will become a new landmark building and continue the modernisation of the city skyline. Would look great if the top of the building is lit up at night.

Also great to hear the next stage will still include a large chunk of public civic and leisure space. The 3000sqm space could be perfect for an intimate museum, similar to ACMI in Melbourne's Federation Square.
Cringe. It's a nice space, but that's all it is.

SBD

#2009 Post by SBD » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:00 am

Nick Champion spruiking the new tower on ABC Adelaide breakfast radio was asked if it could interfere with the airport flight path: "It won't be a problem because there are taller buildings in the rest of the CBD obviously".

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#2010 Post by Mpol02 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:16 am

I like its round edges and angles top.

A slay