News & Discussion: Electricity Infrastructure

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Electricity Infrastructure

#1336 Post by rubberman » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:02 pm

abc wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:18 am
rubberman wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:40 pm
abc wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:35 pm

oh boy here we go again
another ALP stooge parroting party propaganda
Lol. So, in your reality, the Coalition actually succeeded? Fibre to the node worked? The French subs are built? We actually got extra water from the Murray Darling Basin Plan? Snowy Mk2 is now commissioned for $2bn? The Inland Rail project is finished on time and budget? Mkay. :hilarious:
Why do you assume I'm a fan of the coalition?

"bungled the vaccine rollout" this is my favourite ALP talking point :hilarious: which booster are you up to?
Why would you assume I assume you are a fan of the Coalition?

It was the Coalition that spruiked nuclear, was it not? Therefore, logically, if anyone were to think that nuclear was realistic in Australia, you'd have to look at the history of the spruikers to see if they can deliver on their promise. I pointed out that the long litany of Coalition failures in planning and delivery of infrastructure meant they couldn't possibly build a nuclear plant. You disputed that. The only logical conclusion is that you somehow thought they had succeeded. Is there any other logical conclusion?

If so, let's have it. How, and by whom do you think nuclear power could be delivered in Australia in time for it to be any use, let alone economically?

Given that such a task is highly complex, you need to put up one of the likely government parties, AND one with a successful list of complex projects completed.

I'll wait.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1337 Post by abc » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:33 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:02 pm
abc wrote:
rubberman wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:40 pm

Lol. So, in your reality, the Coalition actually succeeded? Fibre to the node worked? The French subs are built? We actually got extra water from the Murray Darling Basin Plan? Snowy Mk2 is now commissioned for $2bn? The Inland Rail project is finished on time and budget? Mkay. :hilarious:

"bungled the vaccine rollout" this is my favourite ALP talking point :hilarious: which booster are you up to?

It was the Coalition that spruiked nuclear, was it not? Therefore, logically, if anyone were to think that nuclear was realistic in Australia, you'd have to look at the history of the spruikers to see if they can deliver on their promise. I pointed out that the long litany of Coalition failures in planning and delivery of infrastructure meant they couldn't possibly build a nuclear plant. You disputed that. The only logical conclusion is that you somehow thought they had succeeded. Is there any other logical conclusion?

If so, let's have it. How, and by whom do you think nuclear power could be delivered in Australia in time for it to be any use, let alone economically?

Given that such a task is highly complex, you need to put up one of the likely government parties, AND one with a successful list of complex projects completed.

I'll wait.
because you want me to speak on behalf of the Coalition... see highlighted text

I only called you out because you were spamming ALP talking points rather than researched facts

nuclear should be realistic in Australia whether the coalition agree with that or not... the fact this country is completely incompetent at anything involving technology says more about the culture and IQ of the population here

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1338 Post by rev » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:39 pm

Some of you really need to just put each other on ignore lol.

The focus shouldn't be what each party has or hasn't done when in government.

What the focus should be on is what is in the national interest, for us consumers, for industry, for future industry etc.

Instead we're having debates, not just here but even our politicians and media, on who can or can't do what, who delivers or doesn't deliver, whose lying and so on.
Its ridiculous.

One guy who helped with the costings for the Tesla battery that really got the renewables drive going in SA, and the hydrogen plant recently, has said nuclear should be on the table.
His voice is drowned out by the bullshit.

What would he know, that some of you clearly don't?
I mean, its only his day job right, as opposed to some guys online cherry picking what suits their political persuasion.

The debate shouldn't be about politics, it should be about how what will work, what's the best way forward for everyone, and how we can achieve that as quickly as possible and maintain a sensible cost of living.

Its sad really.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1339 Post by abc » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:48 pm

we dig uranium out of the ground here and sell it overseas for profit (of those multinational mining companies) because nuclear energy apparently isn't viable :D

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#1340 Post by mattblack » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:00 pm

abc wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:48 pm
we dig uranium out of the ground here and sell it overseas for profit (of those multinational mining companies) because nuclear energy apparently isn't viable :D
Sigh.... same old poster posting without any actual economic figures or facts to back up his case.

I personally think we should drill into the earth's core an use that to generate renewable power. Seems fairly safe and inexhaustible. No idea how much that would cost. No economic analysis to back that thought bubble in but it doesn't really matter does it??? :hilarious:

abc
Legendary Member!

#1341 Post by abc » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:13 pm

mattblack wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:00 pm
abc wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:48 pm
Sigh.... same old poster posting without any actual economic figures or facts to back up his case.

I personally think we should drill into the earth's core an use that to generate renewable power. Seems fairly safe and inexhaustible. No idea how much that would cost. No economic analysis to back that thought bubble in but it doesn't really matter does it??? :hilarious:
my economic analysis is based on the fact uranium is exported for profit

its not being used to make novelty jewelry

rubberman

#1342 Post by rubberman » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:20 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:39 pm

What the focus should be on is what is in the national interest, for us consumers, for industry, for future industry etc.

Instead we're having debates, not just here but even our politicians and media, on who can or can't do what, who delivers or doesn't deliver, whose lying and so on.
Its ridiculous.

One guy who helped with the costings for the Tesla battery that really got the renewables drive going in SA, and the hydrogen plant recently, has said nuclear should be on the table.

I mean, its only his day job right, as opposed to some guys online cherry picking what suits their political persuasion.

The debate shouldn't be about politics, it should be about how what will work, what's the best way forward for everyone, and how we can achieve that as quickly as possible and maintain a sensible cost of living.

Its sad really.
You miss the point. Let's just say that we all agree that nukes are best. Ok. How do we proceed?

Now, we aren't allowed to bring politics into it.

What is the next step?

Remember. No politics.

rubberman

#1343 Post by rubberman » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:22 pm

abc wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:33 pm
rubberman wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:02 pm
abc wrote:

I'll wait.
because you want me to speak on behalf of the Coalition... see highlighted text

I only called you out because you were spamming ALP talking points rather than researched facts

nuclear should be realistic in Australia whether the coalition agree with that or not... the fact this country is completely incompetent at anything involving technology says more about the culture and IQ of the population here
Nope. That interpretation is incorrect.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#1344 Post by Spurdo » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:29 pm

lol, do people not realise that approving one parties policy does not automatically bind you to that party? Like, it is actually possible to not be aligned with a political party and still approve of some of their policies

rev

#1345 Post by rev » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:33 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:20 pm
rev wrote:

Its ridiculous.

Its sad really.
You miss the point. Let's just say that we all agree that nukes are best. Ok. How do we proceed?

What is the next step?

Remember. No politics.
No, you're missing the point.

This shouldn't be a debate about which party when in government fucked up what project, which is what half the posts you guys have made since yesterday were basically ranting about. One guys ranting about covid vaccines, another guy about snowy hydro 2.

rubberman

#1346 Post by rubberman » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:53 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:33 pm
rubberman wrote:
rev wrote:

Its ridiculous.

Its sad really.

What is the next step?

Remember. No politics.

This shouldn't be a debate about which party when in government fucked up what project, which is what half the posts you guys have made since yesterday were basically ranting about. One guys ranting about covid vaccines, another guy about snowy hydro 2.
Nope. It's about whether or not what you are talking about can be delivered.

If it was Tom Playford proposing to deliver a nuclear plant, on time, on budget, then it would happen. Why do I believe that? No politics. It's because he had a list of big projects HE DELIVERED ON. If it's anyone else, of whatever party, I apply exactly the same criteria. What is their record in delivering major projects?

Please provide me with evidence, without politics, of the projects delivered by any side of politics of a successful record who will go for nukes. That's all. Simple. Keep politics out. Just provide a list of successful major projects delivered. Because if you cannot do that, you will never convince people it can be done.

I'll wait.

rubberman

#1347 Post by rubberman » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:55 pm

Spurdo wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:29 pm
lol, do people not realise that approving one parties policy does not automatically bind you to that party? Like, it is actually possible to not be aligned with a political party and still approve of some of their policies
Nope. But if that party cannot deliver on its promises, you are wasting your time and energy. It cannot deliver.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1348 Post by abc » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:57 pm

there's something to be said for benevolent dictators delivering on projects as often that's what it takes

Playford was the nearest thing we had to a dictator given his time in office...

majority of governments in this country can only see forward to the next election

rev

#1349 Post by rev » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:59 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:53 pm
rev wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:33 pm
rubberman wrote:

What is the next step?

Remember. No politics.

Nope. It's about whether or not what you are talking about can be delivered.

If it was Tom Playford proposing to deliver a nuclear plant, on time, on budget, then it would happen. Why do I believe that? No politics. It's because he had a list of big projects HE DELIVERED ON. If it's anyone else, of whatever party, I apply exactly the same criteria. What is their record in delivering major projects?

Please provide me with evidence, without politics, of the projects delivered by any side of politics of a successful record who will go for nukes. That's all. Simple. Keep politics out. Just provide a list of successful major projects delivered. Because if you cannot do that, you will never convince people it can be done.

I'll wait.
Keep waiting, you're a silver spoon fed simpleton (or just generally clueless with no sense of reality) who thinks that everyone can afford roof top solar and batteries therefore if they don't have them its their own fault for having high power prices.

To continue to attempt to have a rational discussion with someone with that attitude, a party lapdog who is engaging in party mudslinging, while others try to move the discussion to the merits of and benefits of multiple sources of power, what it would all mean for the economy let alone the majority of Australians, is to waste ones time.

Ill leave it at that, add you to the ignore list, and let you continue arguing with abc about your politics, in a thread about electricity infrastructure.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1350 Post by bits » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:36 pm

I believe some of the energy cost increase is the subsidy being paid to solar panel and battery purchasers.
So those without are paying for those with, in that particular part of the economy.

How fair that is, would be a complex debate regarding who pays what tax and who has access to what schemes.

I assume in time(soon?) the cost of those solar and battery payments will decline which will assist in lowering the cost for those remaining without.

Another interesting point with electricity is that over decades it appeared to be well below inflation.
Between energy efficiency and lack of following inflation the cost of running a house didn't seem to greatly increase until very recent times.

I believe that is a combination of lack of Government ownership. Australia Governments that still own electricity assets can transfer wealth from other areas to hide the cost of electricity. Also private companies like to make profits.

Also I believe many people have changed to led lighting, changed away from old element type electric water heaters, upgraded heating away from inefficient oil or bar heaters to reverse cycle, moved to more modern houses with better insulation, upgraded crt and plasma screens to led, upgraded computers etc. And finally there are not many more big efficiency wins to go to hide inflation.