[U/C] Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#406 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:25 pm

But arguably pretty important given the gradual shift of the 'centre' of Port from Commercial Road to the waterfront area.

Many people argue that Adelaide Railway Station is poorly located on the edge of the city, the same applies here but on a smaller scale. I think in 20 years it will seem perfectly logical to have rebuilt a station at Port Dock.

abc
Legendary Member!

#407 Post by abc » Tue May 21, 2024 2:45 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:25 pm
But arguably pretty important given the gradual shift of the 'centre' of Port from Commercial Road to the waterfront area.

Many people argue that Adelaide Railway Station is poorly located on the edge of the city, the same applies here but on a smaller scale. I think in 20 years it will seem perfectly logical to have rebuilt a station at Port Dock.
Port Adelaide on any given day is practically a ghost town and its not a PT pivot point either unlike the CBD. There's simply no comparison to be made.
Adelaide is the best location in Australia to shoot a drama set in the 60s

Llessur2002

#408 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:58 pm

abc wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:45 pm
Port Adelaide on any given day is practically a ghost town and its not a PT pivot point either unlike the CBD. There's simply no comparison to be made.
In my opinion Port Adelaide arguably represents one of the state's best opportunities in the near-term for both a commercial hub outside of the CBD and a location for medium-high density housing. Providing the necessary infrastructure now will save time and money doing it retrospectively when the problems associated with not having it in the first place come to fruition.

If the public transport hubs aren't close to where most people are going then far fewer people will use it.

To me this is one of the few examples of proactive transport planning we've seen from any SA government in a long time. It's a shame it's such a small project.

abc
Legendary Member!

#409 Post by abc » Tue May 21, 2024 4:01 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:58 pm
abc wrote:
In my opinion Port Adelaide arguably represents one of the state's best opportunities in the near-term for both a commercial hub outside of the CBD and a location for medium-high density housing. Providing the necessary infrastructure now will save time and money doing it retrospectively when the problems associated with not having it in the first place come to fruition.

If the public transport hubs aren't close to where most people are going then far fewer people will use it.

To me this is one of the few examples of proactive transport planning we've seen from any SA government in a long time. It's a shame it's such a small project.
Port Adelaide on the edge of the metro area with a low population density, its significance has been reduced to historical since the advent of modern containerization and deindustrialisation of SA.
Its a quaint place for a sleepy gentrified neighbourhood regeneration, however its unlikely to be a major commercial hub any time soon when there are several more likely candidates.

As someone alluded earlier, I think this is simply an example of a cynical political pork barelling exercise.

SBD

#410 Post by SBD » Tue May 21, 2024 4:19 pm

abc wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:01 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
abc wrote:

Port Adelaide on the edge of the metro area with a low population density, its significance has been reduced to historical since the advent of modern containerization and deindustrialisation of SA.
Its a quaint place for a sleepy gentrified neighbourhood regeneration, however its unlikely to be a major commercial hub any time soon when there are several more likely candidates.

As someone alluded earlier, I think this is simply an example of a cynical political pork barelling exercise.
I'd say Wingfield-Port Adelaide-Osborne remains one of the most significant industrial parts of the metropolitan area, despite some of the factories having been or being pressured to close because of dust drifting over houses that weren't there when the factory was built.

It's an example of an area where people work that isn't the Adelaide CBD, so not well served by public transport, especially at the times employees might want to come and go.

abc
Legendary Member!

#411 Post by abc » Tue May 21, 2024 5:32 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:19 pm
abc wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:01 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:

I'd say Wingfield-Port Adelaide-Osborne remains one of the most significant industrial parts of the metropolitan area, despite some of the factories having been or being pressured to close because of dust drifting over houses that weren't there when the factory was built.

It's an example of an area where people work that isn't the Adelaide CBD, so not well served by public transport, especially at the times employees might want to come and go.
This train spur doesn't go to Osborne or Wingfield, it goes to the old main street of Port Adelaide where almost nothing happens.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#412 Post by PD2/20 » Tue May 21, 2024 7:40 pm

I saw on Saturday that progress on the project is continuing with the signals now illuminated. A departure indicator has been installed on the shelter and PA fitted to the light poles on the platform.

Llessur2002

#413 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed May 22, 2024 10:33 am

abc wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:32 pm
it goes to the old main street of Port Adelaide where almost nothing happens.
Do you assume that will still be the case 50 years from now?

I acknowledge that the revitalisation of the Port has always been a bit of a non-starter but in the current climate of housing shortages (which you openly acknowledge in other threads) and supposed influx of defence work to the Port/Osbourne area it seems pretty inevitable that the population of this area will increase dramatically with the majority of development being in the immediate vicinity of the new station.

People moan that places like Riverlea are being built before public transport infrastructure. Well, this looks to be a rare case of the PT infrastructure being built before the housing. Seems sensible to me.

abc
Legendary Member!

#414 Post by abc » Wed May 22, 2024 11:58 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:33 am
abc wrote:

I acknowledge that the revitalisation of the Port has always been a bit of a non-starter but in the current climate of housing shortages (which you openly acknowledge in other threads) and supposed influx of defence work to the Port/Osbourne area it seems pretty inevitable that the population of this area will increase dramatically with the majority of development being in the immediate vicinity of the new station.

People moan that places like Riverlea are being built before public transport infrastructure. Well, this looks to be a rare case of the PT infrastructure being built before the housing. Seems sensible to me.
lol okay I'm sure the business case was based on conditions 50 years from now

claybro

#415 Post by claybro » Wed May 22, 2024 12:46 pm

abc wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:58 am
Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:33 am
abc wrote:

lol okay I'm sure the business case was based on conditions 50 years from now
A couple of points re above. The population of the Port area is rapidly increasing as are the employment opportunities. By ADELAIDE STANDARDS, the housing supply coming on line is is of quite high density and vacant sites are filling. Business activity in the Port CBD will continue to increase, and as the food/ retail and entertainment offerings increase, so will the visitor numbers. Whilst the Port CBD is not yet a must see destination for those from greater Adelaide, there is finally a momentum and critical mass to get this happening. Having a CBD such as the Port, adjacent to a rail line...only for that rail spur to be used just as a museum would make absolutely no sense. Whilst heavy rail is always difficult to justify in raw numbers or as you say "business case" , there is a benefit to rail access that cannot be justified by raw numbers, (buses are always way cheaper), and the cost of this spur is relatively low by overall transport project costs. My only observations here are the it wold perhaps have been better to somehow put the station back adjacent to St Vincent Street to increase visibility and access, but understandably this would significantly add to the cost and perhaps relocation of the police station. Also I feel there is a case if not now but in future to link this via Rosewater to the Gawler line. Hopefully this little spur is the start of something more- as was the first tram extension to North Terrace, which at the time was also derided as a waste of money.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#416 Post by Eurostar » Wed May 22, 2024 7:19 pm

I hope the platform at the new Port Dock Station is long enough to cater for NRM events

abc
Legendary Member!

#417 Post by abc » Wed May 22, 2024 11:26 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 7:19 pm
I hope the platform at the new Port Dock Station is long enough to cater for NRM events
Mali wouldn't want to upset the foamer lobby

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#418 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu May 23, 2024 4:57 pm

abc wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:26 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Mali wouldn't want to upset the foamer lobby
Just got a email back from Port Dock Railway Line Project.

The shelter on the station side of the platform is approximately 20m in length. This is longer than what is typically seen at other platforms, which usually measure at approximately 12m in length. Therefore, the Port Dock station will have an additional 8m of shelter than what is typically provided.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#419 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri May 24, 2024 11:30 am

Rail closure - Outer Harbor Partial Line Closure - Saturday 1 to Sunday 2 June 2024.
The Outer Harbor rail line will be partially closed across the first weekend of June, to allow construction works to continue for the Port Dock Railway Line Project.

The line will be temporarily closed between Woodville Railway Station and Outer Harbor Railway Station.

While these works are undertaken, the H1 route will operate as a substitute bus between Woodville and Outer Harbor Railway Stations.
https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about- ... re-in-june
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#420 Post by PD2/20 » Fri May 24, 2024 7:37 pm

Eurostar wrote:
From Google Earth the platform is 120 m long. This is the standard length for the Outer Harbor line and can accommodate a 4-car DEMU. However the platform face on the NRM side is somewhat shorter as the platform access ramp adjoins the platform on the western side.