a forum member's view on adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

a forum member's view on adelaide

#1 Post by Howie » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:13 pm

found this post on skyscraper city and thought it was a great post from an queenslander's perspective.

GMAC writes :

Hey guys, well I have returned from my trip to Adelaide!!! Loved it!! I have to say that the best thing your city has going for it is the fact that it is still small enough to be really friendly, that makes a hell of alot of difference in my book.

Love all the old buildings, and some of the new ones look magic, especially the law courts. Rundle mall was great, my only concern about the second level would be that its not that wide so as long as it doesnt make the ground level feel closed in, getting the right design will make all the difference and if you can pull it off it will add so much. I was really impressed with the shopping down there, and the prices, and not just because of the sales.

The wineries were great, better when not in a tour. Hahndorf was bigger than I expected and loved it. View from Lofty was magic. Didnt think much of Glenelg, thought it would be a good place for a small boutique theme park but then noticed there use to be one there so not sure now. If the pier was extended in length and width with some kind of attraction that would be cool. It didnt help that we were there when it was cold but hey.

I realise its a big deal at the moment, but they need to stop advertising on the news that adelaide is the murder capital of Australia, I had never even realised this until I got there. Im not sure that the rest of the country sees it that way.

I was impressed with the Southern (??) freeway, the one that changes direction, makes alot of sense. Great infrastructure from what I could tell, and the public transport for tourists was really good. In general the city seemed a little bit stagnant, and I think the state govt probably needs to do a little more to encourage new investment, but then I dont know what they are already doing. I do think that you will see the same thing that has been happening in Brisbane over the last couple of years happen in Adelaide in about 10-20 years, and then watch out.

Anyway, thats my thoughts guys!! Some of you need to stop being so negative about the fantastically beautiful and funky city that you live in, I didnt expect Adelaide to be so much of its own city but it is, and it works well, and right now if I had to leave Qld to live in another city Adelaide would be it without question.

OK, enough rambling from me!!! Cya!!

P.S. Will post pics from other computer in the next couple of days.

P.P.S. If you know people that are visiting Adelaide, I cant recommend Oaks Horizons enough as a great place to stay, tell them to book on Wotif.com for a great price.
The original thread is here :
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 189&page=2

petermaloney
High Rise Poster!

#2 Post by petermaloney » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:21 am

interesting i wonder what the others would have to say?

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by skyliner » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:36 pm

Howie, I'm from QLD (near Brisbane) as well and, interestingly, have just returned from a trip to Adelaide also. (this month - Jan 2007)

I have previously expressed my feelings about Adelaide, but I feel above work is more eloquently presented. Petermaloney, my sentiments are the same as GMAC (as presented by Howie 6/7/2006) This is except for statements on Glenelg - a top place, with a real vibrance about itI

f I had a chance, I would be living in Adelaide also - inner city style.

South Aussies - support your city.