COM: SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre | $100m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
The Carabinieri
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: APPROVED: $60m State Swimming Centre

#91 Post by The Carabinieri » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:20 am

Seeing as they are developing this new state swim, do people think that they will get rid of the state swim that is on the parade (norwood) ???

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#92 Post by muzzamo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:25 am

The Carabinieri wrote:Seeing as they are developing this new state swim, do people think that they will get rid of the state swim that is on the parade (norwood) ???
no.

The Carabinieri
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#93 Post by The Carabinieri » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:10 pm

muzzamo wrote:
The Carabinieri wrote:Seeing as they are developing this new state swim, do people think that they will get rid of the state swim that is on the parade (norwood) ???
no.
Is that just your oppinion, or do you know for a fact?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#94 Post by crawf » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Well for starters the proposed State Swimming Centre is nowhere near Norwood.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#95 Post by Pikey » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:44 pm

[quote="jimmy_2486] However if its becuase you will have to travel 10 years to get to an international swimming event you are pissed off then, again, blame ACC for taking their sweet ass time to build a decent swimming stadium. Actually no, they werent taking their sweet ass time, there were NEVER any plans for ACC to build anything!![/quote]

Actually, did you know that there were plans prior to VS1 (SA Water) being announced, to turn the tram barn site into a swimming centre!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:04 pm

Well thats 1 out of 1.2mill that knew of this....anyelse knew of this? hehe

I mean there is no stopping the ACC saying to themselves... "oh, Marion has a larger, more kick ass swimming arena then us that will be holding international events, thats wierd??" and then build an even bigger swimming centre to reclaim the title of having the world class events and the best pool facilities.

However one cannot force initiative onto the ACC...the need to wake up and smell the roses for themselves, and untill then, these things will keep happening. Who knows, Marion might even end up with a bigger skyline than Adelaide one day the way the ACC run the city.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#97 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:33 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote: Who knows, Marion might even end up with a bigger skyline than Adelaide one day the way the ACC run the city.
Heh Heh - Marion was laid out by Colonel Light's off-sider - Boyle T Finniss. It would be an ironic twist of fate if Finiss's town ended up with a taller skyline than Light's!
8)
cheers,
Rhino

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#98 Post by JamesXander » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:27 pm

I don't think light ever had the ACC in his plans, so I think its a little unfair lol.

I don't understand why they are building a new state swimming centre, why not just knock down the old one or redevelope it????!!!??

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#99 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:47 am

I don't think ACC wants to redevelop the North Adelaide AQUATIC center (not a state swimming center). They are more than happy just to keep replacing the broken tiles when they break.

I think Marion just thought well if ACC wont build a FINA standard center, then we will. I guess its better having one at Marion then no where at all.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#100 Post by SRW » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:32 pm

I don't see why the ACC's being attacked here. The responsibility for building a State Swimming Centre should lie with the State. Councils are already overburdened as it is.

In so far as the North Adelaide Aquatic Centre is concerned, last news I heard of it, the ACC was considering "gifting" it back to the State Government.
Keep Adelaide Weird

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#101 Post by JamesXander » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:30 pm

SRW wrote:I don't see why the ACC's being attacked here. The responsibility for building a State Swimming Centre should lie with the State. Councils are already overburdened as it is.

In so far as the North Adelaide Aquatic Centre is concerned, last news I heard of it, the ACC was considering "gifting" it back to the State Government.

Anything they gift back is a bonus

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#102 Post by SRW » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:49 am

JamesXander wrote:
SRW wrote:I don't see why the ACC's being attacked here. The responsibility for building a State Swimming Centre should lie with the State. Councils are already overburdened as it is.

Anything they gift back is a bonus
Perhaps not, since the reason for doing so is because they don't want to cover its costs any more.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#103 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:04 pm

A few photos of the site...

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#104 Post by Omicron » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:58 am

I for one will be very sad to lose this beautiful open space so close to the delightful Centrelink and the multitude of existing and proposed medical centres.

There is a very slight possibility that I inserted my head quite deeply into my rear whilst making that statement.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#105 Post by SRW » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:08 am

You know, I'd much rather this space be used to create a sort of town centre or civic space for the City of Marion, or indeed, the inner south. The cultural centre (a delightful building) is already there, so relocate the council headquarters alongside, create a public park and so forth. It'd add some legitimacy to the Marion triangle's status as a metropolitan centre.

A swimming centre is fine too, though. But, again, allow me to complain about how intolerably LONG this project is taking!
Keep Adelaide Weird