Invigorating CBD Alleyways & Lanes

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Invigorating CBD Alleyways & Lanes

#1 Post by Wayno » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:25 am

I'm not much of a photographer. Stand me next to someone with exactly the same camera and their photos look heaps better than mine - so frustrating.... :(

This could be a fun forum. I'd love to see images posted here with discussion about the potential for CBD Alleyways & Lanes. More arty types could even create some basic renders to share with us...

For example, there's a couple of dead-end alleys off Rundle St that could be blocked to traffic, paved, roofed, and made into usable public space with private enterprise encouraged to take advantage (fairs, fetes, cafes, water features, permanently running visual/sound features, also perhaps bring more greenery into the lanes? lawned areas? grape vines? topiarys?, consider going vertical and create open-air mezannine levels with lane-way traffic flowing underneath, and other whacky thoughts...)

The goal ==> build more of a "surprise around every corner" aura into the city...There must be 50+ great opportunities north of Franklin St/Flinders St. Lastly, let's not worry about the cost aspect (as that usually inhibits brainstorming and causes argument)

oh, and my personal preference is that this forum gets inundated with images (photos, renders, pencil and crayon drawings) instead of looong wordy descriptions. But that just me being a "visual thinking" kinda guy
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

Re: Invigorating CBD Alleyways & Lanes

#2 Post by Hippodamus » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:31 pm

i really believe there is much opportunity in this area...

i have always liked the following places...

1) the alley way off rundle mall (along side the Renaissance Centre) connecting to Grenfell Street. This also has Gay's Arcade connecting to it. I have always thought it would be a great pedestrianised thouroughfare lined with cafe's, snack bars, wine bars, public art... it has a very nitty gritty european feel to it, and many positive public attributes like being an access point between Rundle Mall and Grenfell Street, and also having the connection to Gay's Aracade.

2) there is also a very interesting alley way running parallel with rundle street, i believe near the Bent Street Apartments, and near the East End Market housing development. It's filthy and narrow and has graffitti all over it, but would make such a dynamic and hip little market place... the idea just makes me want it to happen!!

there are many opportunities. but the issue is funding, ownership of the space in the alley(s), commitment to the project, etc...

this kind of stuff makes cities all over the world: Melbourne, Athens, Montreal, Penang... the list goes on...

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by jk1237 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:48 pm

ok, i cant be bothered doing anthing today caus its hot, so i thought id put all my laneway photos on here

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by jk1237 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:04 pm

and some more

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Will » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:34 pm

Great photos jk1237. You could be forgiven for thinking that some of those alleys were in Europe.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:17 pm

thanks for uploading the photos - many have great potential!

There's two dead-end alleys on Rundle St that are prime candidates for a make-over. If anyone is passing with a camera please take some snaps...One is immediately behind the Stag hotel and looks very rustic, the other is back up Rundle St a bit and has a night-club plus antique/bric-a-brac shop nestled deep away in the back.

I was thinking maybe some of the alleys could have permanent "suspended art" that catches your eye as you pass. Would obviously have to place it high enough to be safe from drunken revellers. It could be held in place by stainless-steel wires between adjacent buildings.

Here's some ideas (please be gentle, i'm hopeless at art and merely want to provoke discussion):
suspend-art-3.jpg
suspend-art-3.jpg (27.44 KiB) Viewed 11527 times
suspend-art-2.jpg
suspend-art-2.jpg (181.92 KiB) Viewed 11533 times
suspend-art-1.jpg
suspend-art-1.jpg (60.11 KiB) Viewed 11507 times
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Shuz » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:18 pm

Wow, and even I don't recognise some of those laneways.

You gotta love the Pancake House in Gilbert Place. Such a nice little getaway from the hustle and bustle around.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by jk1237 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:01 pm

Wayno, is this one of them off Rundle st

Also i like this alleyway

I agree with that laneway next to the stag. Something really good can be out there. Im disappointed with this years fringe caus they usually put a jazz music club in that old barn at the back, but not this time

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by jk1237 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:21 pm

and a few more ive found in my computer from last winter

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by jk1237 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:32 pm

last lot. This is the laneway next to the Stag

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Wayno » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:23 pm

jk1237 wrote:Wayno, is this one of them off Rundle st
I agree with that laneway next to the stag. Something really good can be out there. Im disappointed with this years fringe caus they usually put a jazz music club in that old barn at the back, but not this time
i agree, the Stag Alley is definitely wasted...and yes, the picture above is the other alley i was eluding to. It would convert easily into a fantastic street entertainment area. It already has a really quaint feel about it - great street level ambience, and the taller buildings could be brought into play as well (suspended/aerial art maybe?). Just get the cars out of there...

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Edgar » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:54 pm

Love the alleys, they poses great potential for restaurant tenants. Just like in Melbourne where you could find nice little restaurant hiding in an alley, and it will add a little of spice and lights to the area.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by AtD » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:04 pm

I'd like to see Gawler Place closed to traffic between Grenfell and North Terrace.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Wayno » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:07 pm

AtD wrote:I'd like to see Gawler Place closed to traffic between Grenfell and North Terrace.
Do you mean 100% free of all vehicles all the time - would that work? or perhaps pave the road and allow trade vehicles to deliver to the shops?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by AtD » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:10 pm

Wayno wrote:Do you mean 100% free of all vehicles all the time - would that work? or perhaps pave the road and allow trade vehicles to deliver to the shops?
Well even Rundle Mall is open to commercial traffic during curtain hours.