COM: SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre | $100m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

COM: SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre | $100m

#1 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:48 am

fantastic news for South Australia

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
GIVES $15m FOR POOL

By TRACIE McPHERSON
04apr06
SOUTH Australia will finally have a world-class swimming facility, with the Federal Government to announce today a $15 million commitment to an Olympic-standard aquatic centre.

To be built adjacent to the Marion Shopping Centre, the $60 million South Australian Aquatic Centre is expected to help revive water sports participation across the state and return Adelaide to the national and international elite swimming circuit.

SA has been without an international-standard competition pool for more than a decade and is the only state without such a facility.

Finance and Administration Minister Senator Nick Minchin and Boothby MP Dr Andrew Southcott will release details of the project at a media conference today, opening the way for the State Government to follow with its promised equal share of funding.

Confirming the funding yesterday, Senator Minchin told The Advertiser the Federal Government would work with Marion Council to develop the project and was "pleased our provision of $15 million will enable this state-of-the-art swimming facility to proceed".

The council has committed the land and $5 million to the project and will seek the remaining funds from private industry.

The facility will replace the outdated Marion outdoor swimming centre and render almost redundant the run-down Adelaide Aquatic Centre at North Adelaide.

It will include a 10-lane, 50m competition pool, a diving and water polo pool, spectator seating and training, medical and media facilities.

It also will have recreational facilities, including a 100sq m wave pool, which also could be used for learn-to-swim programs and hydrotherapy.

SA's swimming participation rate is dramatically lower than the rest of the nation at just 10.3 per cent of the population. The national average is 15.3 per cent.

The state has had $3 per capita invested in aquatics facilities over the past decade, compared with $357 in the ACT, $177 in the Northern Territory, $103 in Victoria and $90 in New South Wales. SA has lost opportunities to host many events because of a lack of compliant facilities.

The new centre will meet the standards of swimming's international governing body, the Federation Internationale de Natation.

SA has not had a FINA-compliant aquatic facility since the early 1990s.

The centre will enable Adelaide again to host national and international swimming championships and provide a world-class training environment.

Local federal MP Dr Southcott said the project would provide a jobs boost for the southern suburbs.

"The expected 400 construction jobs will provide new opportunities in an area hit by downsizing at Mitsubishi and Port Stanvac," he said.

Confirmation of Federal Government funding for the project comes six years after Marion Council began discussions with the former state Liberal government to achieve a FINA-standard aquatic facility at the Marion Regional Centre. The current State Government has provided a written undertaking to provide $15 million if the Federal Government also supported the project.

The centre would be built on vacant land on the corner of Diagonal Rd and Morphett Rd, Marion, near Westfield Marion shopping centre.

In its funding submission to the Federal Government last year, Marion Council said the centre would provide a broad range of additional outcomes, including boosting tourism, employment, spending in the region and improved health and fitness among the ageing population.

This is going to help our bid to host the commonwealth games - tho thats only if we do bid for them & its going to Boast SA!

im excited!! :D
Last edited by crawf on Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2 Post by Al » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:17 pm

It's a big waste of money in my opinion. Spend $60m on a brand new facility yet let the current facility at North Adelaide go to waste. Totally stupid. They should spend $60m on the North Adelaide one as this will serve the whole of Adelaide better than the one down at Marion. We also finally get a wave pool... 10m x 10m. Useless.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:00 pm

Why Marion?

It should be in the city, or at least very near to it.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Pants » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:51 pm

Agree with both of you.

There must be feesibility problems with redeveloping the North Adelaide site otherwise it would make no sense at all.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:03 pm

Yes I agree it should be closer to the city, but Marion is a good choice because its next to Adelaide’s Biggest Shopping Centre (Westfield Marion), close to Glenelg, fairly close to the CBD, cultural centre and the best part its next to a train station (what is about to be redeveloped).

Anyway I think its outrageous SA has not had a international-standend swimming centre for almost 20years, so really I don't care where they put it, I just want it built!!!

btw There’s a wave pool at the Adelaide Aquatic Centre and I think the ACC & State Government are planning to upgrade the centre (well I hope so)
Last edited by crawf on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:38 pm

I personally find it an outrage that Adelaide does not have a world class swimming facility. We are the only state capital not to have such a facility. Marion is a good site, plus due to the expansive carpark at Marion, this site makes sense.

Making the Aquatic Centre in north Adelaide world-class would require more encroachemnt into the parklands, which we all know is a big no-no.

I just want to see a render!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:07 pm

Just watched the ten news, and the NIMBYs are already complaining about it - Ive got one word for them "F*ck Off"

theres no render atm, tho it should be completed in less than 2years time!!
Last edited by crawf on Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Al » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:13 pm

crawf_231 wrote:btw There’s a wave pool at the Adelaide Aquatic Centre and I think the ACC & State Government are planning to upgrade the centre (well I hope so)
There isn't a wave pool at the Adelaide Aquatic Centre.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:22 pm

ohh ok, well there used to be one there

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Will » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:25 pm

crawf_231 wrote:Just watched the ten news, and the NIMBYs are already complaining about it - Ive got one word for them FUCK OFF!!!!!!!

theres no render atm, tho it should be completed in less than 2years time!!
Yes I saw that woman make a ridiculous statement "they should have consulted the community before giving away our land"

What a stupid thing to say! The Domain site is not exactly a family friendly park or some natural reserve, it is a wasteland!

Such people only criticise without knowing why they do, they are traumatised of change and progress. They should embrace progress because if Adelaide stagnates there will be no-one left to look after the pensioners in their nursing homes.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:31 pm

^ exactly

these stupid residents have got no idea, that this is going to improve the marion region and their LIFES!!

btw r they still going to redevelop Oaklands Station - god i hope so!!!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Will » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:06 pm

crawf_231 wrote:^ exactly

these stupid residents have got no idea, that this is going to improve the marion region and their LIFES!!

btw r they still going to redevelop Oaklands Station - god i hope so!!!
Yes the state government is going to re-develop the Oaklands railway station. I recall reading somewhere that a transport interchange will be built, as well as shifting the station to a better location (closer to the garden shop).

supernova
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#13 Post by supernova » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:49 pm

im glad theyre building this new facility. its really annyoing me not having a professional pool and envrionment to swim in.
i actually cut my foot pretty badly on the aquatic centre tiles once. that place should be knocked down.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:11 am

When I last went to the AAC, it was great fun (tho that was over 10 years ago)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:15 am

btw thats great news there going to redevlop the crapy oaklands station