News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide Transport Woes

#196 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:56 pm

jk1237 wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
PhilH wrote:Another problem with double-decker buses is that standing passengers on the upper deck might not be allowable - this is the case in UK/Ireland. I imagine that this is the reason why Transport for London has replaced some of its old Routemaster double-deckers with articulated buses (or "bendy-buses" as they call them over there) during the last couple of years - near-enough same seating capacity as a double-decker, but more standing capacity.
My Londoner friends tell me that the old Routemasters are only used for tourists these days. Everything else is articulated.
No no, I havent been there for about 4 years, however yes they have phased out the old routemaster buses but have replaced them with brand new driver only double deckers. I have seen 2 Australian news reports incorrectly saying that London is phasing out their double decker buses. Completely wrong, they just simply phased out the old ones, caus they didnt have a door that closed and had to employ a conductor. Even in a little village in rural Cornwall, SE England, we almost fell over in laughter when we saw a double decker bus wind its way through the fields to pick us up. Very cute it was
I never ever saw an articulated bus anywhere in the UK, but they may have some now, but 80% of buses in London are very new, modern and cool double deckers, double decker due to the lack of space and congestion in London and other cities
I just clarified what my friends had told me with them (I love the Internets). They say that they meant all the old Routemasters are out of commission and only used for tourists. But there's new doubledeckers in service as well as artics.

Great pictures jk1237!I want to go back to London. I miss it.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#197 Post by Omicron » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:54 am

jk1237 wrote:sorry to bore you all, but i cant believe i found this, which is the bus route i used to take

the suburb Harlesden, is nicknamed Harlem, because it is 99% black population, but an Ok place, and is now attracting Aussies to live there caus of cheap rent. Walking around at night is a bit sus, but Shepherds Bush is very expensive and full of Aussies
Is that you preparing to disembark, Mr. 1237? A rather fetching leopard-print headscarf you have there.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#198 Post by jk1237 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:49 pm

haha omicron, yes its one of my favourites. The guy at the top left looks pretty serious :lol:

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#199 Post by Bulldozer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:48 pm

AtD wrote:We have less than 100 railcars.
I've heard that they've put a few up on blocks to cannibalise for spare parts.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#200 Post by Will409 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:53 pm

Only railcar 2009 is withdrawn from service permanently for spare parts. It suffered a main bearing failure on the rear end bogie a few years ago which was it's reason for withdrawl. Today, both engines have been removed as well as the rear bogie (which has been replaced by a workshops transfer bogie). In addition, a large number of internal components have been removed. All other railcars are in service (making a grand total of 99).
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#201 Post by Cruise » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:39 pm

Will409 wrote:Only railcar 2009 is withdrawn from service permanently for spare parts. It suffered a main bearing failure on the rear end bogie a few years ago which was it's reason for withdrawl. Today, both engines have been removed as well as the rear bogie (which has been replaced by a workshops transfer bogie). In addition, a large number of internal components have been removed. All other railcars are in service (making a grand total of 99).
Broadguage on SSC seems to think we have 98 in service.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#202 Post by Will409 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:54 pm

Railcar 3105 is currently out or service for some major repair work. It's semi permanent partner 3106 has been seen coupled (cheating if you will :twisted: ) with a number of other railcars in the mean time. At first, it was coupled to 3030 and is currently with 3025. 3105 hasn't been seen in service for a good month and a half but it is still 'on the books'. 2009 is the only railcar currently owned by TransAdelaide that isn't in service.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#203 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:58 am

I know this is slightly off topic, maybe even relevent for a new thread. But what Aussie City in your opinion Will409 (and anyone else) has the best rail system??

If anyone feels this needs to be in another thread....then by all means put it there.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#204 Post by Will409 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:26 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:I know this is slightly off topic, maybe even relevent for a new thread. But what Aussie City in your opinion Will409 (and anyone else) has the best rail system??

If anyone feels this needs to be in another thread....then by all means put it there.
Perth, without of doubt. I realise that not having been to Perth puts me at a disadvantage compared to having on the ground experience but if you do some research, you will see just how good it is. Modern, well, everything from top the bottom (especially the newly opened Mandura line).

Smartcard based ticketing, fairly new rollingstock, maximum service speed of 130km/h, well kept stations, excellent track condition, the works pretty much. Here are a few videos just to show how things SHOULD be done.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#205 Post by AtD » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:37 pm

Having not been to Perth either, I'd say Sydney due to its sheer size. The Millennium Bugs are a great ride too.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#206 Post by Pat28 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:37 pm

Sorry to drag up a dead topic, but starting another topic about woes wasnt worth it. Anyway AdMet has recently updated their site with a web poll about services (feable attempt at feedback), but on the site there are not one bu TWO links in the navbar to the same page - it seems AdMet cant even get a webpage right - its not that hard. 8)
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#207 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:03 pm

I can only see one... I think they were setting up their new "Building a better Adelaide Metro" section.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

News & Discussion: Roads

#208 Post by Waewick » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:53 pm

well if they would just replicate the stupid southern expressway everyone would be happy.

(Moderator's note: This thread was split from the South Road Upgrade thread.

So, I pose the question: Should we build more roads?

-AtD)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: South Road Upgrade

#209 Post by AtD » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:11 pm

capitalist wrote:well if they would just replicate the stupid southern expressway everyone would be happy.
Not only would that just move the congestion to either end of the expressway, it'd actually make congestion worse. That'll mean more cars along South Road, more cars along Anzac Highway, more cars along Marion Road and so on. According to the theory of induced demand. "Widening roads to cure congestion is like widening your belt to cure obesity"

The Expressway should never have been built.

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

Re: South Road Upgrade

#210 Post by raulduke » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:02 am

That theory really is not appropriate.

There are plenty of cities Adelaide's size that function much better with Freeways, Perth is a the best example.

You can drive from Joondalup to Mandurah (the equivelant of going from Gawler to Victor Harbour) and NOT STOP AT A SINGLE TRAFFIC LIGHT.
People in Adelaide, or atleast some of them, just dont get it. I fantasise of driving anywhere in Adelaide, without it taking twice or three times longer than it should.

Not everybody can use public transport, public transport will never get people EVERYWHERE they need to go and public transport can not freight goods. An efficient public transport system, in conjunction with an effective road system is the solution, not one without the other.

With respect to the comment on induced demand, that's just stupid. The same amount of cars will be on the road, unless there is an explosion in the population. How does widening a road increase the amount of traffic that would otherwise be using the road anyway?