COM: Adelaide Showgrounds Redevelopment | $35m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

Re: $35m for exhibition hall

#31 Post by bmw boy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:33 pm

Demolition of the Fugly Duncan Hall is well and truely underway

hooray!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Showgrounds Water Tank

#32 Post by Wayno » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:10 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 222888.htm
Big water project for Adel showgrounds
A 3.5 million-litre water tank is being installed underground at Adelaide's showgrounds at Wayville.

Stormwater from the roof of the new Goyder Pavilion and the existing Jubilee Pavilion will be used for irrigation and other functions.

It is hoped to capture up to seven million litres of water annually.

Chief executive John Rothwell says it will give the showgrounds a secure water supply
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Showgrounds Water Tank

#33 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:37 pm

Clip from Ten News today:

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#34 Post by Omicron » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:47 pm

It's quite a large building when viewed from Goodwood Rd, so I can only imagine the size of the catchment underneath.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:39 am

it's great that private industry is showing the govt how it's done! Imagine if a large percentage of Adelaide's suburban parks included underground tanks of a similar scale!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#36 Post by Shuz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:09 am

Wayno wrote:it's great that private industry is showing the govt how it's done! Imagine if a large percentage of Adelaide's suburban parks included underground tanks of a similar scale!
You would think with such a drought were going through this would be a sensible and sustainable approach to solving our water troubles and reliance on the Murray?

Same should be said for all that stormwater going out to sea! Adelaide would quite literally be green all year round if we captured this runoff.

The tanks are phenomenal in size. 3.5 million litres is a lot of water, I don't even know how many swimming pools thats worth, but definetly a lot!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:33 am

anyone know how much this cost to build? My council (Mitcham) is seeking input for their long-term strategic plans - i'd love to ask them to build water storage facilities under some of our parks. Of course knowing the approx cost upfront would help...

metalMONSTER
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#38 Post by metalMONSTER » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:48 pm

The whole project was only $35million ish, so the tank would only be 2-3mill, if that, there isnt much involved, mainly earthworks, as it is essentially a suspended slab

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by monotonehell » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Wayno wrote:it's great that private industry is showing the govt how it's done! Imagine if a large percentage of Adelaide's suburban parks included underground tanks of a similar scale!
There's a big ACC tank underground in the Botanic Gardens, just behind the old bus depo. More of these would be a good idea. And it's great that all new building plans these days need to incorporate storm water retention. More of this too!
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Royal Adelaide Show gets a new ride!

#40 Post by Wayno » Tue May 06, 2008 7:50 am

Mad Mouse replaced by rollercoaster

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
A $3 MILLION rollercoaster will provide Adelaide thrillseekers with their first taste of a stomach-churning, jaw-dropping loop ride.

The Big Dipper is the centrepiece of a Royal Adelaide Show ride revival, designed to arrest flagging attendance figures amid growing hip-pocket pressure.

The steel-framed 365m track has been built and assembled in Bucharest, Romania, and is about to be loaded into six 12m ship containers for the journey here.

It replaces the 44-year-old crowd favourite, the Mad Mouse, which was demolished last year to make way for the $42 million exhibition complex.

Owner Bob Lawrence, who sold the Mad Mouse to the Newcastle show, expects the new ride to outshine its predecessor. "It's a thrilling ride, you go upside down - something Adelaide hasn't seen before," Mr Lawrence said.

"The rides are a very big drawcard for the Show - we've got a few new rides this year so we're probably offering the best children's rides in Australia." The Big Dipper also will be mobile. It will be dismantled every year to take to interstate shows.

An Australian engineer tested the ride three weeks ago for safety compliance, amid tougher scrutiny following the Spin Dragon accident, in which 37 people were injured at the 2000 show.

"In a safety sense it's actually better than we expected. South Australia is very safety conscious. My rides have had an excellent record with no accidents so we want to maintain that."

As for the price - the 36 passengers who will be strapped into the three trains can expect to pay about $8 a ride.

The Big Dipper is one of seven new rides which will be launched later today for the September show.

Organisers are also unveiling a more upmarket brand and logo, and dumping longtime mascot Banjo the border collie.

A greater emphasis will be placed on free entertainment to counter last year's 6 per cent drop in attendance, to 501,428, as families cope with growing economic pressures.

Ticket prices will also remain on hold at $18 for adults, $11 for children and $47 for families.

Omicron

Re: Royal Adelaide Show gets a new ride!

#41 Post by Omicron » Wed May 07, 2008 12:56 am

The appeal of the Show faded out for me a few years back, when I realised its only lure was a selection of deep-fried foods that I could easily obtain from the local fish and chip shop.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#42 Post by Queen Anne » Wed May 07, 2008 5:25 am

The story says the Mad Mouse was demolished, and then goes on to say it was sold to the Newcastle show.

Am I missing something? I would have thought demolition was more likely than a move..the Mad Mouse always looked so questionable, to me :?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by Wayno » Wed May 07, 2008 7:02 am

Queen Anne wrote:The story says the Mad Mouse was demolished, and then goes on to say it was sold to the Newcastle show.

Am I missing something? I would have thought demolition was more likely than a move..the Mad Mouse always looked so questionable, to me :?
the risk of death was always an attraction with the Mad Mouse! i'm almost jealous of Newcastle :-)

rhino

#44 Post by rhino » Wed May 07, 2008 10:20 am

Wayno wrote:
Queen Anne wrote:The story says the Mad Mouse was demolished, and then goes on to say it was sold to the Newcastle show.

the risk of death was always an attraction with the Mad Mouse! i'm almost jealous of Newcastle :-)
I'm with you Wayno - that was the best ride at the show! I loved it.
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Wayno » Wed May 07, 2008 2:20 pm

I did some googling - the new ride is a Zyklon (german for hurricane) rollercoaster, and may even include a fancy corkscrew loop! Unfortunately I could not find any renders.

Presumably construction has already started - only 4 months til the show! Anyone live near Goodwood willing to get some pikkies?