#121 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:53 am

Adam, NEXY is now U/C and Glenelg Tram Overpass Approved

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide Projects List & Interactive Map

#122 Post by AtD » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Thanks Norman! :) Updated.

I don't have a "Transport - Approved" category, because the body that entity it (ie, the state) is typically the entity that approves it. They do not go though the same DAP process as private projects. And if I were to have a "Transport - Vision" category, well, the entire map would be covered in nothing but. :mrgreen:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#123 Post by AtD » Sat May 24, 2008 4:49 pm

We’ve made some changes to the functionality of the database. If you come across any bugs, please let me know!
  • To reduce clutter, projects with a status of Complete, Cancelled, Vision or No Recent News are hidden by default.
  • The "Filter" or "Show All" buttons now remember the map's location, zoom and layer, rather than sending the map back to the defaults. Therefore, clicking these buttons whist focused on a specific project takes the focus away from that project.
  • There's now a 'last update' stamp on the bottom of the page. It's server time at this stage.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#124 Post by Wayno » Sat May 24, 2008 4:56 pm

AtD wrote:We’ve made some changes to the functionality of the database. If you come across any bugs, please let me know!
  • To reduce clutter, projects with a status of Complete, Cancelled, Vision or No Recent News are hidden by default.
  • The "Filter" or "Show All" buttons now remember the map's location, zoom and layer, rather than sending the map back to the defaults. Therefore, clicking these buttons whist focused on a specific project takes the focus away from that project.
  • There's now a 'last update' stamp on the bottom of the page. It's server time at this stage.
excellento!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#125 Post by AtD » Sat May 24, 2008 5:03 pm

Belay that! The filter's borked. :(

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#126 Post by AtD » Sat May 24, 2008 5:40 pm

Fixed!

BTW, ten points for whoever can tell me which building the crane in the background was on!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#127 Post by AG » Sat May 24, 2008 7:34 pm

"Was" on, hey? :wink: It wasn't the one that was used to construct the Commonwealth Law Courts, was it?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#128 Post by AtD » Sun May 25, 2008 9:34 am

I knew AG would get it.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#129 Post by mattblack » Sun May 25, 2008 8:07 pm

Isnt the 171 - 207 Gouger st development ment to be approved and under constuction. The site has been cleared has it not?

Cheers

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#130 Post by AtD » Sun May 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Thanks matt. I had a quick look on the ACC's website.
https://epathway.adelaidecitycouncil.co ... ?Id=261773
Development Approval Granted 26/03/2008, so yes, you're correct.

Is there anything else going on at the site besides just clearing? Photos would be appreciated if anyone could wonder out there.

We’ve decided to only mark buildings as under construction when there’s concrete in the ground or framework erected. It’s not uncommon for a developer to clear a site then sit on it for several years (even use it as a car park), and wait for the right builder or pre-commitments.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#131 Post by rogue » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:22 pm

I just noticed that Techport or other developments at Pelican Point aren't on the list.

Great map btw!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#132 Post by Shuz » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:24 pm

Hey AtD, I had a really whack idea that could enhance your 'interactive' map.

In Macromedia Fireworks (I don't know if it can be done in Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) they have this tool (slice?) which allows you to create a hyperlink over a selected area of an image. Now, what I was thinking is that if you pieced together a series of maps from Google Earth of the CBD, zoomed in close enough, you could actually create a whole series of hyperlinks over the map that could be drawn to each development's property boundaries to the project's forum, webpage, etc. The slices can be colour coded accordingly to their status, can have their opacity reduced so to see the underlay of the Google Earth image, and other little tidbits which could really liven up the interactive map.

Now, I'm not saying what you have done is bad, in fact it's really good and useful, and has greatly helped with my database, and I appreciate your efforts to doing so. I'm merely suggesting that this could help the map become more streamlined and informative, as well as being playful to those who use it, with the simpler and graphical effects added.

The thing is, I know how to do all this, creating these links and the graphic doodles. However I'm completely clueless to the web-related things (aside from placing the URL in the hyperlink) such as uploading it onto the Internet, which is within your area of expertise. I don't know if you would like to work together on collaborating both the database and interactive map into one project?

Here's an example which I'm trying to work on at the moment. The real-world map is layered with each project site around the place. You would click on the yellow square which would direct you to an information menu like you already have and a small status quo of the project using the information from the database.

Just some food of thought for you is all.

:D

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#133 Post by AtD » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:11 pm

It's a good idea. It can be done using the Polygon provided in the Google Maps API (altho the example Google presents doesn't work for some reason). The problem will be that each corner will need to be provided in latitude/longnitude format, which is excessivly labour intensive to do. It would also have to be intergrated with the SQL database so it can be shown/hidden as per the filter settings on the top of the page. The biggest problem is I didn't actually do the majority of the programming in the site, my partner did. And he's gone and done the stupid thing of getting a highly demanding full time job.

Our current project is to somehow include the rail projects in a meaninful way (ie something more than just red lines)

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#134 Post by Shuz » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:43 pm

AtD wrote:It's a good idea. It can be done using the Polygon provided in the Google Maps API (altho the example Google presents doesn't work for some reason). The problem will be that each corner will need to be provided in latitude/longnitude format, which is excessivly labour intensive to do. It would also have to be intergrated with the SQL database so it can be shown/hidden as per the filter settings on the top of the page. The biggest problem is I didn't actually do the majority of the programming in the site, my partner did. And he's gone and done the stupid thing of getting a highly demanding full time job.

Our current project is to somehow include the rail projects in a meaninful way (ie something more than just red lines)
My proposal uses a JPEG standalone map of the CBD, which rules out needing the use of Google Earth / Maps. However, the difference would be that it covers CBD projects, and not Metropolitian projects - which is what the rail projects would fall under. Don't know if you're too keen to use this method, I just think it would be comparitively easier to manage?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#135 Post by AtD » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:23 am

The problem with that is jpegs are entirely static.

If you want, you can email me the files and I'll host them for you.