PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Proposed : Port Adelaide Tram Line

#226 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:08 pm

There's plenty of side streets the tram can run down. The plans probably aren't finalised yet.

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#227 Post by how_good_is_he » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Any know how much quieter the electric trams are ie 20% or 50%. May help sleep for those that live along the rail lines.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#228 Post by Cruise » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:11 pm

Shuz wrote: And also why have they not mentioned going the one extra stop further to service Hindmarsh Stadium - its only a 200m walk away after all?
So walk then

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#229 Post by Wayno » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:29 pm

shiftaling wrote:This is exciting! I can't wait to see some maps :)

If it goes down Port Road I will be able to catch the tram from my front door straight to work! At least until SAPOL moves
:shock: your a Copper? quick hide the stolen stuff!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#230 Post by Wayno » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:34 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
Londo Mollari wrote:All this is very exciting .... and next budget will more than likely be bigger and better!!!
No chance. This will put them in a lot of debt and Foley has said that they won't be able to afford to extend the debt any more than this. Foley said there won't be any more "big ticket" items for a long time.
i heard Foley say that statement. It was in response to MHS being *concerned* about the future level of state debt. It's really just political jockeying on Foley's behalf - it makes it difficult for MHS to announce additional big projects as we head towards the next election. politics at its finest!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#231 Post by Tyler_Durden » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:41 pm

Wayno wrote:i heard Foley say that statement. It was in response to MHS being *concerned* about the future level of state debt. It's really just political jockeying on Foley's behalf - it makes it difficult for MHS to announce additional big projects as we head towards the next election. politics at its finest!
Small matters such as economics have never stopped MHS making big claims before. I can't see this stopping him now. :lol:

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#232 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:44 pm

The tram could easily run alongside the edge of the park lands all the way to the OH corridor.

Why bother running it in the middle of Port road? Just have it going on the edge of bonython park. No traffic light hold-ups!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#233 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:51 pm

Any know how much quieter the electric trams are ie 20% or 50%. May help sleep for those that live along the rail lines.
They won't be much louder than the Glenelg Trams

Here are the Perth Trains:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#234 Post by Wayno » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:57 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:The tram could easily run alongside the edge of the park lands all the way to the OH corridor.

Why bother running it in the middle of Port road? Just have it going on the edge of bonython park. No traffic light hold-ups!
My thought exactly, although bonython park is part of the parklands and hence subject to all sorts of issues...

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#235 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:36 pm

Kevin Foley on the ABC's Stateline announced that the tram from the Entertainment Centre will head through a redeveloped (Clipsal site) Bowden housing estate to the Outer Harbor line.

Personally I think they should save their money on this extension from the West Campus to the Entertainment Centre. We already have a railway close by.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#236 Post by Will409 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:54 pm

As I am sure you may be aware, the reason why they are planning of building the tramway to the Entertainment Centre is so that it can eventually be linked into the Outer Harbor line* and provide tramway access to the West Lakes, Port Adelaide and Semaphore tramlines as well as forming a link between the north western lines and the Glenelg line. A flyover across the railyards from City West terminus would be impractical considering the other developements that are planned (ie, the Marj Mahal). Not only that but it wouldn't exactly be smart having the tramline enter the rail system before Torrens Junction because you have a diamond crossing between TransAdelaide and the ARTC mainline from Islington yard to Melbourne.

*After over 120 years of electric trams being almost polarised away from heavy rail in Australia, the concept of trams running on a heavy rail line then running down a street still sounds foreign to me.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Ho Really

#237 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:28 pm

Will409 wrote:As I am sure you may be aware, the reason why they are planning of building the tramway to the Entertainment Centre is so that it can eventually be linked into the Outer Harbor line* and provide tramway access to the West Lakes, Port Adelaide and Semaphore tramlines as well as forming a link between the north western lines and the Glenelg line.
You could still run trams or whatever from Woodville to West Lakes and Port Adelaide to Semaphore. Is it that necessary to link up the Glenelg tram to the heavy rail by running it along Port Road to the Entertainment Centre and then through Bowden?
A flyover across the railyards from City West terminus would be impractical considering the other developements that are planned (ie, the Marj Mahal). Not only that but it wouldn't exactly be smart having the tramline enter the rail system before Torrens Junction because you have a diamond crossing between TransAdelaide and the ARTC mainline from Islington yard to Melbourne.
Of course.
*After over 120 years of electric trams being almost polarised away from heavy rail in Australia, the concept of trams running on a heavy rail line then running down a street still sounds foreign to me.
Please explain to us how they are going to run standard gauge trams (or whatever) on broad gauge lines (and maybe alongside our current fleet of trains). Are they going to add a third rail like they have on the Outer Harbor line currently? Are they going to convert all broad gauge to standard gauge? What happens to the current diesels that will be converted to electric? How much will this cost? You're the man with the knowledge, I am curious to know. Thanks.

Cheers

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#238 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:33 pm

Delete...
Last edited by Norman on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#239 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:33 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Will409 wrote:
Please explain to us how they are going to run standard gauge trams (or whatever) on broad gauge lines (and maybe alongside our current fleet of trains). Are they going to add a third rail like they have on the Outer Harbor line currently? Are they going to convert all broad gauge to standard gauge? What happens to the current diesels that will be converted to electric? How much will this cost? You're the man with the knowledge, I am curious to know. Thanks.

Cheers
The new trains will be standard gauge, and the only trams running on the OH line will be the Train-Trams that are dual-voltage (ie can accept both Tram and Train voltage amounts).

Ho Really

#240 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:41 pm

Norman wrote:The new trains will be standard gauge, and the only trams running on the OH line will be the Train-Trams that are dual-voltage (ie can accept both Tram and Train voltage amounts).
What about the older converted diesels, will they have their bogeys changed to standard gauge?

Cheers