News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Clipsal Site up for sale

#16 Post by Omicron » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:01 pm

Norman wrote:
Omicron wrote:
how_good_is_he wrote:Agents saying $60m - $70m...but I wonder how contaminated the site is and how much extra $$$ it will cost to clean up. PS Does the forum think a DFO [Discount Factory Outlet - like Harbourtown only bigger] would work here?
Given Harbourtown is a refuge of unwanted 1998 summer stock and seems to discard the generally-accepted rules of retailing (hanging clothes on hangers, unpacking stock from boxes, providing aisles wide enough to walk through, a wider range of sizes rather than just XXXXXXL, and so on), the thought of an even larger clone scares me greatly.
You're quite the poet I have to say. Got a lot of time to think about it at "work"? Did they put Poo Poo on the Registers today?

:mrgreen:
I had to deal with a lost child, actually - it's amazing how quickly children see through lame attempts at making small-talk whilst their frazzled mothers take an age to try-on ugly skirts that are two sizes too small before coming to collect their offspring.

Omicron

#17 Post by Omicron » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:02 pm

Norman wrote:
Omicron wrote:
how_good_is_he wrote:Agents saying $60m - $70m...but I wonder how contaminated the site is and how much extra $$$ it will cost to clean up. PS Does the forum think a DFO [Discount Factory Outlet - like Harbourtown only bigger] would work here?
Given Harbourtown is a refuge of unwanted 1998 summer stock and seems to discard the generally-accepted rules of retailing (hanging clothes on hangers, unpacking stock from boxes, providing aisles wide enough to walk through, a wider range of sizes rather than just XXXXXXL, and so on), the thought of an even larger clone scares me greatly.
You're quite the poet I have to say. Got a lot of time to think about it at "work"? Did they put Poo Poo on the Registers today?

:mrgreen:
I had to deal with a lost child, actually - it's amazing how quickly children see through lame attempts at consoling small-talk whilst their frazzled mothers take an age to try-on ugly skirts that are two sizes too small before coming to collect their offspring.

Omicron

#18 Post by Omicron » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:06 pm

Oh, fiddlesticks - I've posted the same thing twice like an overexcited 16-year old.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by Norman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:48 pm

Omicron wrote:Oh, fiddlesticks - I've posted the same thing twice like an overexcited 16-year old.
At least you acted your age.

:lol:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by crawf » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:42 pm

God no, there's already a 2nd Harbourtown planned for the northern suburbs.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#21 Post by Cruise » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:51 pm

what about ground floor shops with subsquent flors of residential?

hell yes!

urban
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by urban » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:04 am

Cruise wrote:what about ground floor shops with subsquent flors of residential?

hell yes!
My dream solution.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#23 Post by Shuz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:41 am

Seeing as this is earmarked the potential for Australia's best TOD development site, I have been wondering how the site plan would eventuate?

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#24 Post by kenget » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:16 am

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
State Government announces mini-city for Clipsal site
Article from: The Advertiser

GREG KELTON, STATE EDITOR

October 24, 2008 10:51am

BREAKING NEWS: THE State Government has bought the Clipsal site at Bowden to transform it into a mini-city on the edge of Adelaide's parklands.

Premier Mike Rann has announced that at least 1500 medium and high density houses will be built on the 70ha site, which has been on the market for around $70 million.

The development also will feature retail outlets and commercial precincts.

Mr Rann said it was a significant project and part of the State Government's aim to create transport-orientated residential hubs.

MORE TO COME
This is great news!

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by ynotsfables » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:35 am

This is great news, I can see this part of Adelaide becoming a very popular hub in the near future. A bit like North Adelaide/Norwood but with its own identity as say West Adelaide, with entertainment, christmas lights ,trams, soccer you name it . This area will shape up well.
Imagine one day when Port Adelaide is further developed and the gateway this will create between the two cities.
This is really exciting me. :D

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by Wayno » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 am

i wonder if the Govt bought the clipsal site as a cunning precursar to seeking infrastructure project cash from the Fed Govt? certainly adds more weight to the argument for extending the tram line...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by bm7500 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:27 pm

More Here:

State Government announces 'green village' for Clipsal site
THE 10-hectare Clipsal site at Bowden will become a new green village and the first of 11 transport-oriented developments planned for Adelaide.

Other areas being considered under a 30-year plan for Adelaide include Marion/Oaklands, Modbury, Flinders-Bedford Park, Mawson Lakes, Mitcham, Glanville/Port Adelaide, Cheltenham and Elizabeth.

Premier Mike Rann and Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon announced the purchase yesterday and said the area could become "the gateway to the CBD and the northwestern suburbs".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would you want to live in the new development. Vote in our poll and have your say in the comment box below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Rann said the site was perfect for building an "almost self-contained village" right on the doorstep of the parklands and right next to the new electrified rail and tram system.

Up to 1500 medium and high-density green star residential apartments, retail outlets and a mix of commercial offices will be built on the site around a town centre.

The first sites are expected to be available for development in early 2011.

The property had been on the market for around $70 million.

Mr Conlon said the Government would reveal the sale price after settlement had been finalised late next month.

The Land Management Corporation will borrow funds from the SA Government Financing Authority to fund the acquisition and initial site preparation works.

Owners of the site – the Gerard Corporation – are expected to vacate it in late 2009.

The project is expected to take 12 to 15 years to complete depending on market demand.

Mr Conlon said the opportunity also existed to investigate a number of new sustainability initiatives in how the area was provided with water, energy, heating and cooling.

GREG KELTON, STATE EDITOR
October 24, 2008 10:51am
Some 'Artists Impressions' here: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/larg ... 56,00.html
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Wayno » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:35 pm

i hope they allow significant height in this development. The artists renders show some 4storey townhouses and a 6-ish storey apartment block. Need to at least double that imho...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Omicron

#29 Post by Omicron » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:43 pm

I must say; I didn't expect that.

Call me obtuse, but how will this development progress with the State Government as the owner? I'm assuming they will call for tenders for design and construction, and then sell off the completed apartments as private residences?

Thank goodness those are only one artist's impressions, too, because they look like a dreadful pastiche of 1998 red-brickery and paving wet-dreams.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by AG » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:47 pm

Those look like artists impressions of urban renewal in Perth, not Adelaide. I dare say the "real" impressions of Bowden won't look like the ones that someone seems to have taken of the Perth (somewhere in the suburbs) urban renewal.