[COM] Rundle Place | 76m | 15lvls | Retail & Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Rundle Place | 76m | 15lvls | Retail & Office

#1 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:29 am

Summary: as at 24/8/2011
- Demolition of existing Harris Scarfe building and shops between Rundle Mall, Grenfell Street, Frances Street and Lindes Lane. Harris Scarfe closed on 30 March 2011 and demolition commenced soon after.
- Construction of new retail and office building, to be occupied by Harris Scarfe, Coles and the Adelaide Bendigo Bank regional headquarters. Council car park (U-Park on Grenfell) to remain.
- 11 stories of office space atop a 4 story retail podium, totalling 15 stories (76m) high.
- Basement to feature Coles supermarket on the Grenfell St end and food court on the Rundle Mall end.
- Ground floor to feature a new arcade, Rundle Place, and speciality retail with open shop fronts on all streets and laneways.
- First floor to feature speciality retail on the Rundle Mall end and Harris Scarfe on the Grenfell St end.
- Second floor to be entirely Harris Scarfe major retail.
- Third floor to feature a gym and car park connected to exiting council car park structure.
- Temporary stores are to be operating in Rundle Mall during construction in front of the site. Harris Scarfe will temporarily move into Rundle Mall Plaza, above JB Hi-Fi where Radio Rentals used to be.
- Construction expected to take about two years.

Current renders:

Old renders:

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Original post:

Seems Harris Scarfe is getting Demolished. Which is awesome as that building is one of my most hated. I really wasn't expecting this proposal. A bit of bulk on Rundle Mall and Grenfell st north is exactly what is needed. This could be the upmarket retail plaza we have been waiting for. This could be the first proposal before the new DAC.
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/562/2008
Lodgement Date: 16/07/2008
Location: 79-91 Rundle Mall & 90-100 Grenfell Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Demolish existing buildings and construct 19 storey building comprising 4 storeys of retail, 14 storeys of office and rooftop carpark
also second level addition to Regent Arcade to make it like Adelaide Arcade.
Type: Application Assessed on Merit
Application Number: DA/546/2008
Lodgement Date: 11/07/2008

Description: Internal alterations, construct 2nd floor extending to Grenfell Street and modify facade.
Last edited by Ben on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #Proposed: 79-97 Rundle Mall, 19 Storey Office and Retail

#2 Post by joshzxzx » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:39 am

I like it! Can't wait to see some renders on this one!

If this does go ahead it would really liven up Rundel Mall :lol:
South Australia the Festival State

mattblack
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #Proposed: 79-91 Rundle Mall, 19 Storey Office and Retail

#3 Post by mattblack » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:57 am

Rooftop carpark :shock:

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Pikey » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:02 am

Beat me to it - a roof top car park?????
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Wayno » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:05 am

anyone have an image of the building to be demolished?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Howie » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:49 am

Are we talking the whole of Rundle Mall Harris Scarfe building being demolished? There's two underground levels there already isn't there? Wonder where Harris Scarfe will relocate when it goes u/c?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:52 am

Howie wrote:Are we talking the whole of Rundle Mall Harris Scarfe building being demolished? There's two underground levels there already isn't there? Wonder where Harris Scarfe will relocate when it goes u/c?
Maybe they will be the major tenent of the new complex... I sent an email to the advertiser to see if they can find out more.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#8 Post by Shuz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:57 am

This is a bit unexpected also, although - what's with the rooftop carpark - Surely at 19 floors above ground, they would use car lifts?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:58 am

Shuz wrote:This is a bit unexpected also, although - what's with the rooftop carpark - Surely at 19 floors above ground, they would use car lifts?
I think it must be a mistake and they will fix it over the next couple of days. Probably Roof Deck.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Shuz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:25 am

I should point out that the site is a lot larger than I first thought. From checking out the addresses and site map on Google Earth, I am under the impression that the 4 retail levels will rise to the height of the 4-level heritage building (which Harris Scarfe offices are located in) in a very Myer-esque retail plaza form which takes up the block from Lindes Lane and the very small building adjacent the heritage building on its west side, but not the corner ones (on the Rundle Mall frontage) and also encompassing the U-Park, Harris Scarfe, and right up to the red/orange building on the corner of Gawler Place and Grenfell Street (on the Grenfell street frontage). I'd imagine the U-Park would be retained, which is where the rooftop carpark would be built on top. I would surely expect that the 14 office level tower would sit atop the retail plaza, again in a Myer-esque way only taking up the space between the U-Park and the red/orange building to front Grenfell Street and not onto Rundle Mall itself. I would hope a laneway would take place of the small western building on Rundle Mall, which could incorporate some eateries with active frontages into the plaza? Who knows? A render will tell shortly.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:09 pm

Added in detials for the Regent Arcade 2nd level addition. Certainly look like Rundle mall will be much more impressive in a few years time.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:16 pm

All we need now is a revamp of Rundle Mall and the laneways (such as Gawler Place) :wink:

loud
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by loud » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:25 pm

I wonder if this development could be modified to take in the three buildings on Gawler Place that have been up for sale for ages now: Laubman & Pank, Allans Music & Gritti Palace...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:46 pm

I like those buildings

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by Hippodamus » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:14 pm

How sad about Harris Scarffe... is leaving South Australia completely..?

another great Adelaide institution vanishing... just like Johnnie's... but the building is very old and run down... i do rather like the old school elevators with the conductors on them calling each floor as it arrives, does that still happen..?