ONH: [Port Adelaide] Newport Quays | $1.2b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

ONH: [Port Adelaide] Newport Quays | $1.2b

#1 Post by Howie » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:55 pm

http://www.lmc.sa.gov.au/lmc/projects/p ... /index.cfm

The Challenge

Port Adelaide is one of the last major ports in Australia that has yet to be redeveloped. LMC has set out to revitalise the Port Adelaide Waterfront with a redevelopment that is exciting, attractive and sustainable while stimulating economic development and job creation in the region.

The Solution

In 2002, LMC selected the Newport Quays Consortium as its preferred development partner for the project. The Consortium prepared a redevelopment concept plan, which LMC placed on public exhibition late last year. Following the period for public consultation, the proposed redevelopment concept plan was revised.

Initiatives proposed by the preferred development consortium Newport Quays include the Port Adelaide Centre as a major revitalisation opportunity, with 2,000 new residential dwellings on waterfront land surrounded by a number of mixed-use precincts, ensuring a critical mass of development and subsequent growth.

The plan includes the provision for public boardwalks around the majority of the waterfront. Commercial development opportunities for waterfront dining, cafes and restaurants and the environmental clean-up of waterfront land are included in the proposal.

The Success

The Port Waterfront Redevelopment will be the largest urban development project undertaken in South Australia over the next decade. The $1.2 billion project is set to revitalise Port Adelaide by providing a mix of residential, commercial and tourism opportunities.

The Future

The revised development concept plan makes provision for 6,000 jobs, 2,000 residential apartments and $900 million in construction work, with a redevelopment that enhances the identity and maritime character of historic Port Adelaide while ensuring the future success of the region.

This website provides an overview of the proposed redevelopment concept plan and the benefits it is likely to bring to Port Adelaide.
Last edited by Howie on Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2 Post by Pants » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:27 pm

Newport Quays:

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Pants » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:43 pm

I scanned that off the brochure, but http://www.newportquays.com.au/ has been updated with more renders and information.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Howie » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:49 pm

Awesome pants!! Thanks for posting that up.

Man i'd give my left one to have one of those places.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Pants » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:53 pm

Keep your balls together mate, I reckon they'll almost be giving them away soon enough. Can't see that there'll be enough buyers for what they're proposing. Hope I'm wrong.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Pikey » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:56 pm

Watch out for interstaters. Speaking to a dude at Urban Contruct, and there's been over 1200 registrations of interest outside of SA!!!

Rather promising, really!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by Algernon » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:38 pm

Pants wrote:Keep your balls together mate, I reckon they'll almost be giving them away soon enough. Can't see that there'll be enough buyers for what they're proposing. Hope I'm wrong.
Mate, people love water. I've got no idea why, but they reach for the cash if there's water. Tell them there's the odd dolphin in the port river and they'll go bunta pig over it.

That said, I think this redevelopment will fall flat on its face. The whole point of the redevelopment was to bring the port's commercial precinct back to life (the west lakes mall killed it). They needed at least 15,000 new residents in the area to make it work. They'll bearly hit 6,000. Even a bloke from LMC I talked to couldn't hide his skepticism over the project. And that was before they expanded West Lakes Mall again.
Urban Construct wrote:QUAY LOCATION BENEFITS

20 mins by car to Adelaide.
:lol:

At 10pm maybe.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by AG » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:50 pm

Yes, the project does seem to be continuously seem to be downgraded over the past few years. The fact that is mentioned on the website that this redevelopment is the largest of its kind in Australia is absolute bull. The Darling Harbour redevelopment cost far more, even if you don't consider inflation.

petermaloney
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by petermaloney » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:53 pm

one of the complexs in Sydney (Darling Park) cost over one Billion alone!

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Al » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:18 am

AG wrote:Yes, the project does seem to be continuously seem to be downgraded over the past few years. The fact that is mentioned on the website that this redevelopment is the largest of its kind in Australia is absolute bull. The Darling Harbour redevelopment cost far more, even if you don't consider inflation.
I think it said the largest of it's kind in SA not Australia.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Al » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:50 am

Just saw what you're talking about AG - ignore my previous post.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Pants » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:31 pm

I've been called by Newport Quays and made an appointment to be taken through what they're building next Thursday.

Hopefully I'll be able to sneak a few shots of the models.

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by Thunderstruck » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:47 pm

Pants wrote:I've been called by Newport Quays and made an appointment to be taken through what they're building next Thursday.

Hopefully I'll be able to sneak a few shots of the models.
Awesome mate, looking forward to seeing them if you can snap some :)
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AG » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:01 pm

From yesterday's 'Tiser:

The new Port is now open for business

By JILL PENGELLEY
12aug05
THE first stage of the Port River redevelopment will go on sale on Monday.

Promoted by the State Government as the best waterfront development in Australia, Newport Quays includes an exclusive gymnasium for residents of the 187 apartments and villas.

Developer Urban Construct has so far refused to reveal the prices of the homes but The Advertiser understands they will range from the upper $200,000s to the mid $500,000s.

Deputy Premier Kevin Foley and the developers were feted with a water cannon as they cruised the river sipping wine on the way to yesterday's launch.

Mr Foley, who is the Member for Port Adelaide, said Newport Quays would "change the working class nature" of the area. "In a decade's time, this will be the best marina precinct, waterfront-living precinct in all of Australia," Mr Foley said.

"No longer are we a backwater where people question why you would want to go to the Port."

More than 2000 people have registered interest in the 187 residences in Stage 1, to be called Edgewater.

The development offers apartments and villas with private terraces and balconies, exclusive access to the precinct marina and exclusive membership of the Edgewater Club.

The Government's Land Management Corporation has signed a $17.4 million joint venture with the Newport Quays Consortium to build marina berths for each residential precinct in the $1.5 billion Port Adelaide waterfront project.

Work on Edgewater was due to begin later in the year, with the final six-stage development adding 2000 homes and 4000 new residents to the waterfront.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by stumpjumper » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:52 pm

It's a pity that there is no serious accommodation for the development of the historic inner harbour as a tourism precinct.

All over the world, the fast growing phenomenon of cultural tourism is being catered for to the the long-term benefit of the communities which with assets such as Port Adelaide with its historic infrastructure and adjacent land.

Check out http://www.mysticseaport.org as an example of what could have been.

That place started out with one boat, one book and one shed, and is now a huge generator of jobs and income for a region on the US east coast that didn't think it had much going for it. I know for a fact that one of their managers had a look around Port Adelaide recently and couldn't believe his eyes. He was flabbergasted at the tourism potential of the Port. What are you going to do with all this stuff, he asked. Sell it for housing, he was told, and couldn't believe it.

Check out 24th St Pier in New York, the historic docks in London, look at The Rocks in Sydney, Salamanca Place in Hobart - everywhere these old Port precincts are being developed to attract visitors, not just homeowners.

In Tasmania, the state government took away from the Hobart city council planning control for Sullivan's Cove (ie Salamanca Place, Battery Point etc) because it felt that the local council was too likely to sell out to residential developers who want to build, sell and scoot with the profit, and who aren't interested in providing the infrastructure for the longer term development of tourism in order to gain attendant benefits such as continuing local employment etc.

Look around - anywhere else in the world, residential development like Newport Quays would include a sizeable element of tourism infrastructure.

But at Port Adelaide, the developers will build a monoculture of housing.

Where are the bus and public car parks? Where is the short term accommodation for tourists? Where are the additions to the Port's existing historic attractions, which are close enough for people to explore on foot? The Port has a maritime college, 12 amazing old pubs, a railway museum, old boats, a maritime musuem, aviation museum, old cars, military vehicles etc etc etc. How does the Newport Quays development leverage these assets to increase visitations and visitor spending?

It doesn't. They're developers, and want to build the houses, sell them and get out. In fact, at the request of the developers, the declared state heritage area in the Port has been reduced in size to allow more housing to complement the lovely tilt-up concrete dwellings going up on the wharfs. The 'thousands of jobs' the government has been boasting about will evaporate once the last house and marina berth are built. There's no new retail development planned, so the lucky owners will still shop at Westfield Kilkenny, the city or West Lakes.

The Newport Quays development is not bad per se, it is simply one-sided. With years of practice, the developers danced their way through the public consultation process with their original plan largely intact, despite objections like the ones I'm putting forward now. In fact, the amount of housing has increased since the early days of the development. Land set aside in the early plans for 'community use' at the east end of Semaphore Rd will now be used for housing. The waterfront will be fringed with hundreds of strata- titled and saleable moorings - not in the early plans considered at the consultations.

So my point is simple. The surplus land at the Port was not a gift to be given by Rann, Foley et al to the developer who flashed the most money - it was land owned by all South Australians which should have been put to the best advantage for all South Australians.

In numerous other similar sites around the world, the long term public benefits of developing disused port precincts for cultural tourism have been balanced with the development for private profit of the land.

Why isn't that the case here? Once the houses are built, the jobs will stop. There will be no tourism down at the Port, because there will be no facilities and no parking. Alone, of all the world's old inner city ports, Adelaide, with one of the world's most intact and historic port precincts, has decided to flog the lot for housing. It's very hard for anyone to stand up against the likes of Multiplex and Urban Construct, especially when the people's representative, the state government, is more or less in partnership with the developers.

Or maybe we're the world's last soft touch.

Bon voyage, a Port Adelaide full of activity and generating jobs and wealth as a tourist mecca, just like similar areas in other capital cities in Australia, the UK, US, Europe, South Africa etc etc.

Hello to a generic waterfront residential development enclave deserted during the day and just as quiet at night.

Thanks Mike, Kevin and Pat, I hope those real estate guys buy you the big drink they owe you, and please do enjoy the opening parties, on our behalf.
Last edited by stumpjumper on Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.