[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#16 Post by Howie » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:51 pm

Wow that looks awesome. Will be great with starbucks next door, even though their coffee's crap it's nice to be able to have a seating on that side of the mall on a sunny afternoon.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#17 Post by bdm » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:24 pm

They should have a 'median strip' of chairs and eateries throughout the entire mall!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#18 Post by AtD » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:28 pm

Not sure if I fully understand. The kitchens, etc, will be in a tennancy on the side of the mall while the seating is in the middle of it, yes?

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#19 Post by Al » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:58 am

bdm wrote:They should have a 'median strip' of chairs and eateries throughout the entire mall!
I agree but I can see the Rundle Street owners complaining because it might 'suck' the traffic out of Rundle St.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#20 Post by JAKJ » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:18 pm

bdm wrote:They should have a 'median strip' of chairs and eateries throughout the entire mall!
It wouldn't be a bad idea... eateries in pedestrian only places work very well.

A lot of the old squares in Europe are surrounded be alfresco style eateries and it adds a lot of life to the area.... pity we don't have a closed off square like that..if only they would close ALL of vic square off to road traffic and have tunnels instead...that would be a truely amazing space in the centre of the city :(

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#21 Post by skyliner » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:13 pm

As resident of Brisbane and having seem the referred to eatery in Ann St Mall, i can tell you from expereience that alfrescos and related eateries along a mall DO effectively work - they draw in crowds, create markets for those nearby, bring 'life', act as meeting pointsand draw the people to stay who would not normally stay in the city. If there is a resi population they attract them as well. They add to noght life if open at the appropriate times. Im' all for it!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#22 Post by AtD » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:36 pm

It looks a bit plain IMO. The design is a bit too conservative for my liking (but what else do you expect from the ACC?)

Perhaps the council could require all stores with seating in the mall to stay open late, to liven the area up.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#23 Post by Howie » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:51 pm

Had brunch there the other day.. was pretty good actually. I'd rate it well for food and service. Surprised at what they've achieved with what little space they have.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

[COM] Re: Great bloody big led screen thingy for City Cross

#24 Post by Shuz » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:55 am

On June 2007 ACC DAR, application has been put in for an amended size LED Screen at City Cross.
Vary previous authorisation to construct an LED Media Screen, alter existing signage and alter Rundle Mall facade of City
Cross Arcade - amended screen size and delete condition 4

Application can be found on page 7 of the DAR.
http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/adcc ... regsum.pdf

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: Eatery to revitalise Rundle Mall

#25 Post by Ben » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:34 pm

From The City Messenger
$750k dining bill

Chris Day

07Aug07

RUNDLE Mall is likely to get its second publicly funded al fresco cafe in time for summer.

Buskers at the King William St end of the mall has been so successful the City Council wants to copy it at the Pulteney St end.

Twenty-six companies tendered to operate the cafe and the winner is expected to be announced next month from a shortlist of three.
The council has budgeted $400,000 for the project.

As with Buskers, the council would pay for the cafe's construction. The 60-seater Buskers, which the council spent $350,000 on, opened in December at the site of the City Council's former visitor information centre. The lease would stipulate the business opens until 10pm seven nights a week.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison this week said the cafe would improve safety in the mall at night.He said, as with Buskers, the successful operator would get cheap rent to reflect the extended trading obligation.

``The police report to us that the presence of Buskers has made a great difference to the perception of safety in the mall,'' Mr Harbison said.

Buskers operator Jason Bernardi said the council had asked him to run both cafes but he declined because he was too busy.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:44 pm

Thats impressive news!! and I'm not easily impressed!!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:54 pm

Thats interesting cause everytime I've passed it, the place has been dead.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Howie » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:00 pm

Top work, I love buskers... they make a mean omelette :)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by AtD » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:22 pm

crawf wrote:Thats interesting cause everytime I've passed it, the place has been dead.
Really? While I admit I've never seen it packed out, I usually notice a reasonable number of people there at all times of the day.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:36 pm

Yeah the max I've seen is about a few people, maybe I'm going at the wrong times.

Though its still good news that another eatery is opening along Rundle Mall, should fit in well with the HJs development