[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrade

#571 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Norman wrote:This weekend the two bridge decks will be joined together. Apparently the concrete pour on the northern deck has also been completed already.
Thanks, Norman. The reinforcing on the northern deck was near complete when I was last there, but I missed the pour.

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#572 Post by drwaddles » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:27 am

Cruise wrote:Surely Main South Road needs attention first?
Which bit of Main South Road? I wouldn't have thought that it needs much attention, bar the intersection with Victor Harbor Road.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#573 Post by Cruise » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:39 pm

drwaddles wrote:
Cruise wrote:Surely Main South Road needs attention first?
Which bit of Main South Road? I wouldn't have thought that it needs much attention, bar the intersection with Victor Harbor Road.

From the Southern Expressway to Ayliffes road.
I would also include South Road up to Days road in need of attention ASAP.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#574 Post by adam73837 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:18 pm

Oh well, looks like we won't see a freeway like the one proposed in the 60's. no thanks to Dunstan, we are now stuck with this issue... ANYWAY, if we don't get a freeway built, I would like to see more than simple band aids at the major intersections. I would intead like to see something like what the RAA's vision is at http://www.raa.net/north_south_corridor.asp?SecID=146 . Just watch the videos towards the bottom of the page.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#575 Post by Norman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:46 pm

Old news mate ;)

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#576 Post by adam73837 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:47 pm

Cruise wrote:Freeways do not cause sprawl,
Its funny, in the 1960s when the MATS Plan was proposed, people didn't want the North-South freeway for whatever reasons, but I know that one was that some didn't want Adelaide to expand very far. Now look at it. Yes I know that the satellite cities of Elizabeth and Salisbury did have something to do with it, but Adelaide has expanded regardless of the fact that freeways weren't built! Now we have to build these large corridors to service these people living in the outer suburbs ontop of all the other issues we have now, when we could have simply built them in the 1960s/70s like Playford would have done. (Somehow I also doubt that if Playford were premier in 70s, he wouldn't have allowed for AAMI to be built in such a riduculous location. Oh well, the man was getting old and the AAMI issue doesn't belong on this forum)
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#577 Post by Cruise » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:51 pm

Salisbury and Gawler were around well before the 1960's.....

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#578 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:57 pm

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

'Underpass leaves owners furious'

MATT WILLIAMS, CITY EDITOR

October 11, 2008 12:30am

ANGRY traders on the south-east corner of the South Rd-Anzac Highway intersection are set to step up their public hate campaign against the State Government.
They feel they have been failed by Premier Mike Rann, Transport Minister Pat Conlon and the entire state bureaucracy because of the $120 million South Rd underpass project, which will not be finished for at least another year.

The livelihoods of many of the shopowners and their employees have suffered since work started on the project last year.

They have not received any monetary compensation from the Government for the impact on their businesses.

The owners of homes compulsorily acquired by the Government to allow the development to proceed were awarded compensation.

For the businesses, trade has dropped by up to 50 per cent for most of them – some, including Precision Golf, have been forced to close, workers have been laid off to enable existing businesses to survive, and others are on the brink of collapse.

The shopowners' views for the past year have been seen by thousands of motorists who drive along Anzac Highway, passing banners adorning the shopfronts which have described their thoughts on the project.

In a new twist, the business owners are drawing up a new set of banners in a bid to attack the Government and influence the electorate to vote out Labor at the 2010 state election.

One of the options for a banner includes: "March 2010 – Get Rid of Rann Month". Alex Zabolocki, who has owned Pine City in the affected precinct for 23 years, admits he gets angry every time he utters or hears the words "Mike Rann".

With an underlying passion for his business and his family, the impact of the underpass for Mr Zabolocki and others has been almost too much to bear.

"Rann is not Mr Popular at the moment and we intend to do all we can to kick him while he's down," Mr Zabolocki said.

"(The Government) has told everyone that they consulted heavily with us when the underpass project was drawn up but it's just crap – they did hardly anything.

"My trade and everyone else's trade in our group of shops is down 50 per cent but the Government will turn around and deny it and they're just going to leave us to clean up all the s . .t.

"We haven't received one cent of compensation, not a skerrick. For 23 years, customers and trucks have been able to park out the front of the business but, when the underpass is done, Anzac Highway is going to be a no-standing zone 24 hours, seven days a week.

' "If they expect small business to withstand this sort of impact and put up with it, then this Government's got another think coming."

Mr Zabolocki believed a fair way to compensate small businesses affected by major developments was to budget 1 per cent of the total project cost towards compensation.

"This is not just me who's affected, it's everyone in this corner and it just doesn't seem fair," he said.

Michael Wunderlich, owner of Goodwood Travel, on Anzac Highway, said the business had survived because it was owned in the family.

"Unfortunately, it looks like Rann and Conlon are going to leave us with all the mess and we are stuck between a rock and a hard place," he said.

A statement from Mr Conlon's office said no land had been acquired from the businesses for the project and "there is no entitlement for compensation where no land is acquired".

"The underpass is on budget and on schedule," it said.

"On the completion of the project, travel times for all road users on South Rd and Anzac Highway will be significantly reduced and there will be significant road safety benefits."

PARKING PROBLEMS
GOODWOOD TRAVEL
He said most customers were forced to use the neighbouring video shop car park or risk being rear-ended or hitting a down pipe outside his shop as they turned into a narrow laneway to parking at the rear of the shop.

PINE CITYPine City owner Alex Zabolocki said trucks which used to park in front of his store to deliver goods were now forced to park 50m away and wheel furniture into the store. He said customers often used the Blockbuster Video or neighbouring motorcycle store car park. Customers can use a car park at the rear of his building which can only be accessed through the neighbouring motorcycle store car park.

GAS WORKSSteve Kinder of Gas Works said no parking has been lost but customers had been confused about accessing parking from Orchard Ave. He said he had to petition the Government for two years to install four signs along Anzac Highway and South Rd directing customers to the store's parking.

Goodwood Travel owner Michael Wunderlich said three parks out the front of his shop have been lost.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#579 Post by Shuz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:17 pm

I don't think they should get compensation for loss of trade because, they had sufficient consultation and time before the project started to revise their management strategy during the construction timeframe to make the decision to relocate or to reorganise their business operations. I think they are a very selfish group of people who care for their interests before the interests of the State and its critical transport infrastructure needs.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#580 Post by bdm » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:27 pm

Selfish?

The government completely destroyed their property rights through the creation of this underpass and therefore compensation should be paid if it goes ahead. What if someone opened an airport next door to your house? You'd tell them to get stuffed. What if a new one opened some distance away but still affected you? You'd expect compensation.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#581 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:28 pm

Will construction of this intersection really take another 9-12months?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#582 Post by jk1237 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:27 pm

Could the reason why the Golf shop closed is because no one gives a stuff about golf anymore. Remember the late 80s and early 90s when golf was worse than a teenage girls fashion fad. It was incredible, and the prize money, the waiting list and memberships were astronomical. Nowadays, golf and NBL basketball for that matter, have almost a zero care factor.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#583 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:46 pm

jk1237 wrote:Could the reason why the Golf shop closed is because no one gives a stuff about golf anymore. Remember the late 80s and early 90s when golf was worse than a teenage girls fashion fad. It was incredible, and the prize money, the waiting list and memberships were astronomical. Nowadays, golf and NBL basketball for that matter, have almost a zero care factor.
burn you heathen! golf is my game...i play weekly (well most weeks anyway) and there's a lot of youth, and an ever increasing number of lady players as well. It's actually becoming more attractive as the "fuddy duddy" members (not always old people) get moved on allowing for more modern attitudes and practices. We even sometimes organise "kids rounds" by having them join in for the last 3 holes of the sunday arvo competition - and finish with a sausage sizzle and an icecream.

Sorry - i'm off topic again.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#584 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:42 pm

Mr Zabolocki sounds like someone who would have protested the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge back in the early 20th century :roll:

but i do agree that they should have been compensated

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#585 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:40 pm

I bought my tall boy and cupboard from Pine City. True story.

Cruel_world00; funding anti-progress since '00