Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

More burbs @ Northgate

#1 Post by rhino » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:35 am

From today's Advertiser:-

$200m deal for 700 homes
By GREG KELTON
09jun06

A $200 million deal to build 700 new homes in the inner north-eastern suburbs has been signed by the State Government.

Under the deal with Canberra Investment Corporation, the houses will be built over the next six years at Northgate.

The area to be developed is between Oakden and Hillcrest bounded by Folland Ave, Fosters Rd and Redward Ave.

Following subdivision planning and approvals, site development will start early next year with a planned completion in 2012. Premier Mike Rann said 37 hectares of land would be developed in the deal with a further 8ha set aside for the elderly.

Under the deal, the Government will provide 50 per cent of the start-up capital, land and some infrastructure through the Land Management Corporation..

A spokesman for Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon said details of the investment could not be revealed because it was commercial-in-confidence.

Mr Conlon said expressions of interest had been sought in 2004 and development of the site was of strategic importance, being one of the last remaining broad-hectare sites in relatively close proximity to the CBD.

It is the third stage of the development of the Northgate area, with plans for more than 1100 houses in the first two stages.

This works out to an average of a tiny 528 square metres per allotment, assuming the 700 houses are all on their own allotments. In these days when you dare not send your kids down the park to play without some adult supervision nearby, there seems to be less and less space for back yards when land is being developed for housing. So what do kids do? they play computer games and get fat, then the government says "We've got to do something about childhood obesity!" Here they are putting up 50% of the start-up capital for a development, why don't they say "Right, each allotment has to have a minimum of 1000 sq metres (the old 1/4 acre block) to give kids room to play outdoors in an attempt to reduce some of our childhood health problems"? No, let's see how many blocks we can squeeze in because it will bring in more money, and we'll keep talking about childhood obesity like we really care. :x
cheers,
Rhino

Algernon

#2 Post by Algernon » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:08 pm

All the more reason to invest heavily in community sporting clubs.

Is this in the Rooster's zone?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Will » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:49 pm

Algernon wrote:All the more reason to invest heavily in community sporting clubs.

Is this in the Rooster's zone?
This is one of those rare occasions when I agree with you. :shock:

Urban sprawl with 1000sqm2 blocks is not sustainable, and places enourmous costs on councils and state governments in regard to infraestructure, services and public transport.

Another problem with remote suburbs is that it creates commonities who although are part of Adelaide, live too far away to enjoy the CBD.

In Europe people in the cities live in smaller spaces than us here in Australia, and from memory I recall that they have lower obesity rates than Australia. Increasing funding for local and community sporting clubs is an excellent idea, that would not only reduce child obesity but increase community spirit and participation.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

PROPOSED: $1b Gawler Housing Development

#4 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:59 am

found this again from the SA Major Projects website
Organisation: Town of Gawler
Project Title: Evanston, New Urban Areas
Project Details: Greenfield urban development (residential and centre), 3,000 new allotments, 8,000-10,000 population, town centre integrated service provision, multiple land ownership. The land will be progressively rezoned over 3 stages commencing end 2006, each stage will be 2-3 years. The land is in private and public ownership and at the time of publishing, no developer has been identified

Further investment is sought for this project. Liase directly with the contact person listed below.

Position: Manager, Developmental Services
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 61 8 8522 9231
Mobile:
Project Cost: $1,040,000,000
Estimated Completion Date: 30/06/2014
http://www.majorprojects.sa.gov.au/publ ... an%20Areas

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:03 am

if this development is approved it will bring Gawlers population to around 30,000 and closer to the Adelaide Metropolitan

Ho Really

#6 Post by Ho Really » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:10 pm

crawf wrote:if this development is approved it will bring Gawlers population to around 30,000 and closer to the Adelaide Metropolitan
Wouldn't that make Gawler the second most populated city (town) in SA?

Cheers

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:14 pm

yes it would but Gawler is usually recognise as a outer suburb of Adelaide these days. because its just in the Adelaide Metropolitan Growth Zone or whatever its called and the gap between Munno Para and Gawler is getting smaller.

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

Housing Project to be built near RAAF???

#8 Post by littledyl16 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:15 am

Does anyone remember the proposed housing projuect to be built near the Edinburgh RAAF, i think it was about 3000-4000 homes, i cant remember a great deal about it, i remember seeing it in the advertiser last year, but i have researched and found nothing on it, is it still in its 'proposal' stage, has it been approved/disapproved?I really want to know.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by crawf » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:30 am

Are you talking about the $1b Playford North Development

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

#10 Post by littledyl16 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:34 am

No that was to improve housing standards in Elizabeth and Davoren Park, if i remember correctly, the one im talkin bout is located of Heaslip rd, or in the vicinity of, it was released around the same time as the edinburgh industrial estate.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by AtD » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:36 am

There was one recent proposed development in that area that was killed by the state government because it was beyond the urban growth boundary.

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

#12 Post by littledyl16 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:39 am

well that was probably the one im thinking of then, coz i remember thinking that it was too far away from basic necessities, hospitals, shops etc...

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by rogue » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:59 am

There was a proposal a few years back calling for the relocation of an Army battalion (some 1200 troops and their families) to RAAF Edinburgh and the immediate area. This has subsequently received Federal Government approval and the new base will be ready about 2010 – 2011.

Is this what you are talking about??

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

#14 Post by littledyl16 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:59 am

that might be it, i know i read it in the advertiser well over a year ago, and that they had big plans to build houses in the area of waterloo corner around the area of heaslip and taylor rd, but after that, it was never mentioned again, i have been trying to find it, ive looked on the major projects site, and the only thing i have found for up north is the playford redevelopment, edinburgh parks and the evanston project.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by rogue » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:16 am

Have a look at this link from the Major Projects website....

I suspect this is what you are talking about due to the location and size.

http://www.majorprojects.sa.gov.au/publ ... 0Australia