News & Discussion: Planning Issues & Challenges

All other development discussion.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#16 Post by AtD » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:58 am

A quick look at the ABS 2001 Census data. At the time of census, there were 445,420 detached houses in SA. The data is available as an Excel file, save as xls
ABS Census table

Ignoring houses with "no bedrooms" and "none stated," and taking "x or more" to equal x, we get a total of 1,364,732 bedrooms with 441,450 residents, meaning an average of 0.32 persons per room.

Although it's 2am and my maths is probably wrong.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Ben » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:45 am

bdm wrote:Not everyone wants to be a latte-sipping, greens-voting, professional asshole living in a small, shitty, inner-city apartment.

Families want a house and a backyard.
Why don't you be a bit more blind to reality? I thought this was a forum of educated people...clearly I was wrong. In case you have not noticed people are not all the same, different people require different lifestyles and for your information there are people living in apartments other then "latte-sipping, greens-voting, professional assholes".

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by Edgar » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:33 am

beamer85 wrote:
bdm wrote:Not everyone wants to be a latte-sipping, greens-voting, professional asshole living in a small, shitty, inner-city apartment.

Why don't you be a bit more blind to reality? I thought this was a forum of educated people...clearly I was wrong. In case you have not noticed people are not all the same, different people require different lifestyles and for your information there are people living in apartments other then "latte-sipping, greens-voting, professional assholes".
Yeah, but probably not for people who wish to build a family.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by Pistol » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:16 pm

Are you serious?? I live in what you call a small, shitty, inner-city apartment and I can not think of any other way of living. Walk to work, walk down the mall, relax in the parklands what more do you want? And the majority of good developments in Adelaide are not small and shitty. Adelaide is too big as it is. Look at Copenhagen; 1.5 million people in an area under half of Adelaide's footprint and because they have such a centralised population the services are sensational. Build up, god knows we have way too many suburbs as it is...

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by rhino » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:19 pm

AtD wrote: Because Elizabeth and Salisbury have been a smashing success!
Henley Beach South, and much of Henley Beach, where I lived when I was young, was a Housing Trust Suburb from the days when the Trust built affordable housing which they then sold to young families. It never went the way of Salisbury and Elizabeth, and in fact now is one of Adelaide's more fashionable adresses. I suspect Henley "stayed good" because the population was not reliant on one industry and as such did not face mass redundancies etc like Salisbury and Elizabeth did, leading to their demise.

Having said that, back in the 1950s and 60s it would have been a very bold prediction indeed to say that we would lose our manufacturing industry to China - those were the days when even good quality Japanese products were called "Jap Crap" and Aussies bought stuff that was Made in Australia. Setting up suburbs knowing there was plenty of local work in the manufacturing industies nearby probably seemed like a safe bet.
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#21 Post by skyliner » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:17 pm

Back to the title of the thread. ('Adelaide shoukld grow up, not out')

Take this case - Brisbane is a classic case of a city allowed to grow outward indescriminantly. (It is apparently the biggest city by area in the world for its population - 1.67m). It is all over the pace now - as they say. It has therefore very extended and sizeable infrastructure issues as a result. Services likewise have to reach much further in more places.
Sprawl requires more and bigger shoping centres
Adelaide has a golden chance to go up (esp. in the CBD) before it too suffers the same extended sprawl and all the related inconveniences that Brisbane has.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

News & Discussion: Planning Issues & Challenges

#22 Post by AG » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:17 pm

Avoiding chaos from the boom
July 07, 2007

There's every indication South Australia will be a very different state in 25 years. Adelaide will be a very different city.

The resources boom, which is likely to pump at least $20 billion into the state economy in the next decade, will change SA forever. Assuming no unforeseen impediments, there will be no comparable period of economic expansion in the state's history.

Economic growth, which has hovered at around 2.75 per cent a year for a decade, will climb above 4 per cent over the next decade and beyond.

Planning which began in the 1970s will produce an unprecedented harvest of riches by 2020.

But if change generated by resource wealth is inevitable, even irresistible, there is as yet no guarantee of exactly how SA will emerge from this period of growth.

Just as planning for mining expansion began 40 years ago, it is now imperative government (both state and local) and the private sector begin more detailed planning for the impact of the boom.

Even in a community which historically resists change some outcomes are predictable.

SA must ensure it has an adequate, reliable supply of water to meet growing domestic and industrial demands. Without water the resources boom will be stillborn.

There must be guarantees of adequate electricity, efficient port facilities and an upgrade of rural roads.

Industrial growth, while economically stimulating, will create unprecedented pressures on the environment. Carbon emissions must be reduced, waterways preserved and the Earth left relatively unscarred.

Not only will SA's population increase but there will be inflated expectations from a growing number of high-income earners.

The result, particularly in Adelaide, will be pressure for rapid inner-city urban renewal - demolition of houses, even streets of houses, which are the essence of the city's historic character. The same could apply to elegant city buildings.

Adelaide's urban sprawl must occur in harmony with rural, recreational and tourism demands.

In Adelaide there is an urgent need to improve the arterial road system for both domestic and commercial users - including a proper north-south link - and to develop an integrated public transport system.

Despite almost obsessive resistance by the Government, toll roads need to be (and will be) introduced to hasten the upgrade.

Economic growth places additional weight on health services and, the education system - particularly at tertiary level - must be upgraded to cope with changing demands.

Long-delayed projects in Adelaide like the redevelopment of Victoria Square, better utilisation of parklands and other open space and the upgrading of the Torrens Lake, must receive Government and council attention.

These and other changes are not optional. They are essential.

The emergence of a new, resource-driven South Australia, is all but inevitable. The opportunity is now.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

Re: #Article: Avoiding chaos from the boom

#23 Post by stelaras » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:00 pm

great forecasting...is anyone listening though???

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by SRW » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:14 pm

Gosh, the 'Tiser's really pushing toll roads lately...
Keep Adelaide Weird

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#25 Post by Shuz » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:43 pm

If toll roads is what will cover the costs of upgrading some roads to a bloody decent standard, then go for it.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by Brando » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:22 pm

SRW wrote:Gosh, the 'Tiser's really pushing toll roads lately...
Toll roads are inevitable... It will happen one day very soon. Not in this election term, but mark my word, Rann will not promise no toll's during his next campaign.
After living in Melb for many years, they just become the norm. As for cost, well it balance's out. I will gladly pay a toll if i can get from A to B quicker and with less polution.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:51 am

Id pay a toll for sure if it allowed me to sleep in more!!

We should make a poll whether we should have a tolled north-south link motorway that links up salisbury hwy/nth xpresway to southern xpresway...what uz guys reckon, would be interesting to see what the forum community think!!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#28 Post by Cruise » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:55 am

jimmy_2486 wrote:Id pay a toll for sure if it allowed me to sleep in more!!

We should make a poll whether we should have a tolled north-south link motorway that links up salisbury hwy/nth xpresway to southern xpresway...what uz guys reckon, would be interesting to see what the forum community think!!
you thought of it, you post it.

Also it would also be interesting if we had the same poll on on talkback radio.....

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Will » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:17 pm

It does appear that private roads are inevitable, but I will only support such ventures if they are equitable. For example students, pensioners, war veterans and low -income earners should pay a reduced toll or no toll at all.

Ho Really

#30 Post by Ho Really » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:07 am

The other option Will is give the low income earners a better (eco) public transport system. Yes, water is what will underpin all devs in SA. Without it we are going nowhere (fast). Hopefully governments will make the right decisions with the community in mind (of course). We as individuals also have to chip in environment-wise and become more responsible, because it is an issue now and will be in the next five to twentyfive years. It will be great for most of you young ones here to live through this. Anyway, it will be exciting.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.