COM: [Glenelg] Bay Junction Shopping Centre | $60m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

COM: [Glenelg] Bay Junction Shopping Centre | $60m

#1 Post by Will » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:39 pm

I found this article in the Messenger and it talks about a possible re-development of the Bay Junction shopping centre which is located on the corner of Brighton Road and Jetty Road at Glenelg. The Taplin Group which owns the site will soon lodge an application to the Holdfast Bay council to re-develop the Bay Junction shopping Centre. Although the plans have still not been finalized the project will involve an upgrade of the current retail space to include new reail tenancies, a general modernization of the centre and the construction of more carpark facillities which will more than likely take the form of basement carparks. The proposal will also include a fitness centre as well as a complete renovation of the neighbouring Wallis cinema. The interior will be completely modernized and the exterior will be renovated to its former glory. The proposal will also include a 6 level 'tower' fronting the intersection which will include office accomodation and apartments. The developer said that he had to reduce the number of stories for the 'tower' so it would have a realistic chance of getting approved, however at 6 levels it is still too tall for the council's 3 level maximum. Once lodged the application will take about 3-4 months to be assessed by plannign staff from the council before it is presented to the council's DAP meeting.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:51 pm

this is great news

The eastern end of Jetty Road is very dumpy and seriously needs a revamp including the bay junction shopping centre & the cinema

I really hope the council come to their senses and approve this development.

btw I hope you dont mind Will, but ive copyed and pasted this to the south australian forum.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:05 pm

Thank you for that Will. Let's hope the height compromised gives us something decent for that side of the Glenelg. Sounds exciting.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Will » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:52 pm

crawf wrote:this is great news

The eastern end of Jetty Road is very dumpy and seriously needs a revamp including the bay junction shopping centre & the cinema

I really hope the council come to their senses and approve this development.

btw I hope you dont mind Will, but ive copyed and pasted this to the south australian forum.
I'm OK with it as long as you reference 8)

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by rogue » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:20 am

Cinema key to $60m Bay plan
RHIANNON HOYLE, REAL ESTATE EDITOR
September 21, 2006 12:15am

Article from: The Advertiser

RESTORATION and expansion of Glenelg's art deco cinema is the centrepiece of the planned $60 million redevelopment of the Bay Junction site on Jetty Rd.

Fifty apartments over two levels, a larger supermarket, new offices, shops and a fitness centre are included in the Taplin Group's proposal, submitted to Holdfast Bay Council last week,
Group managing director Andrew Taplin said redevelopment of the "white elephant" site would provide a boost to the underdeveloped eastern end of an otherwise booming Jetty Rd.

Mr Taplin said expansion of the Wallis cinema from three to five or six screens would be the key to the success of the redevelopment.

Other features include:

ANOTHER 400 car parking spaces, including underground parking.

EASED traffic congestion and better traffic flow with land provided for turning lanes.

GLASS atriums for natural light;

FEATURE fountains on the corner of Jetty and Brighton roads.

ENERGY-efficient design using recycled stormwater.

Jetty Road Mainstreet Board manager Rod Basto said the board supported the proposal.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:09 pm

I like it

Though i really hope this starts a wave of existing buildings along jetty road to get a huge makeover, because that end of the jetty road looks very dumpy.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

Junction

#7 Post by stelaras » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:44 pm

I agree with the comments above...

last time i drove down Jetty road i thought that the top end was pretty dumpy too.. I hope this gets approved!

Does anyone have any pictures of the completed redeveloped magic mountain site! I wont be coming to adelaide until christmas, so i was hoping to see how good it looks!

cheers

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by rogue » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Hey stelaras,

I would say check out their website, but there's no pictures on there!?!?!?!

They better get on to the marketing department about that.....

http://www.thebeachouse.net.au/

Cheers

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

Re: Proposed - Bay Junction re-development - Glenelg -$60million

#9 Post by how_good_is_he » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:24 am

Anyone know if this ever got approved...or may even start one day?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by SRW » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:31 pm

how_good_is_he wrote:Anyone know if this ever got approved...or may even start one day?
I don't know if it's been approved or even pursued, but I did see some interesting at the site last night -- one of those transportable offices which are typically used at construction sites. Could something be happening?
Keep Adelaide Weird

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Will » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:25 pm

SRW wrote:
how_good_is_he wrote:Anyone know if this ever got approved...or may even start one day?
I don't know if it's been approved or even pursued, but I did see some interesting at the site last night -- one of those transportable offices which are typically used at construction sites. Could something be happening?

Yes, i saw those too. But they can't be for this development, because it hasn't even been approved by the council.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:26 am

That render looks great, i think the whole of Jetty Road needs a make over, they should also think of closing it off to cars make it more like a mall, it would look a lot better without the stream of cars stuck there every saturday...

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Howie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:39 am

Bay plan to focus on offices
Article from: The Advertiser

RHIANNON HOYLE, REAL ESTATE EDITOR

September 20, 2007 02:15am

THE $65 million redevelopment of Glenelg's Bay Junction is back on the agenda, since a plan for apartments was dumped from the proposal.

Office space has been expanded and the number of environmental initiatives increased under the new plan for the Jetty Rd site. It is to be considered by Holdfast Bay Council next month.

The original design had been submitted to the Holdfast Bay Council 12 months ago, but was withdrawn after community objection to the apartment plan. The site is owned and being developed by the Taplin Group and managing director Andrew Taplin said it would be a lower density development.

He said both the fitness centre and commercial office space had been enlarged. Environmental measures - including solar panels and rainwater collection - have also been included in the amended plans, which will include a variety of shops, a Woolworths supermarket, parking, a car wash service and upgraded cinemas.

"The construction and operation of the complex will have a strong focus on reducing greenhouse emissions, conserving energy, minimising water usage, and maximising the benefits of solar energy," Mr Taplin said.

If approved, construction should be completed in 2009.

Jetty Road Mainstreet Board manager Rod Basto described the plans as "very exciting".

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:52 am

good to see this hasn't been dumped, however why did the residents object to residential apartments?

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by bmw boy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:13 am

Cant wait for this 1

Just earlier on this week, was going to go down to the bay, but the selection of movies on offer was minimal and poor... its about time Glenelg gets a decent cinema!