News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #PRO: O-Bahn extension to West Tce

#46 Post by AtD » Tue May 12, 2009 9:14 pm

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Just because there'll be a bus lane down Hackney Rd, doesn't mean all buses using a bus lane down Grenfell Street must be O-Bahn buses. It sounds like it'll be just a regular bus lane painted on the road, the same as on city-bound side of Grover Rd at the west end of Currie Street. It also sounds like Hackney Road will have the same set up as West Lakes Boulevard. I don't think it'll be for the O-bahn exclusively. That'd be a waste.

(ie, I have faith that the engineers know more about what they're doing than the politicians and journalists seem to)

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

Re: #PRO: City Busway - O-Bahn to West Tce

#47 Post by how_good_is_he » Tue May 12, 2009 9:45 pm

It makes sense if Grenfell St is a transport hub and not use exclusively for o-bahn traffic - if so, why didnt they say that?
ie all bus stops along Grenfell St will now be along these 2 lanes which would make sense.

So buses that are say turning from Grenfell St onto King William Rd or Pulteney St or Henley Beach Rd will use it and it will not be exclusively for traffic to and from the o-bahn route.

I imagined it like the West Lakes boulevard bus lane which is used exclusively for AAMI stadium bus traffic.
Last edited by how_good_is_he on Tue May 12, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#48 Post by Norman » Tue May 12, 2009 9:47 pm

There are no other express buses going down Hackney Road, all non-O-Bahn buses still stop at the stops along Hackney Road.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by AG » Tue May 12, 2009 11:10 pm

Norman wrote:There are no other express buses going down Hackney Road, all non-O-Bahn buses still stop at the stops along Hackney Road.
And there are only two routes that do serve stops on Hackney Road, the 281 and 283. The rest are O-Bahn routes.

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#50 Post by rubberman » Wed May 13, 2009 7:29 am

I wonder why they don't just convert the Obahn to a tramway and then connect that in with the Port Adelaide to Glenelg line.

This busway work would get that started.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by Splashmo » Wed May 13, 2009 8:20 am

rubberman wrote:I wonder why they don't just convert the Obahn to a tramway and then connect that in with the Port Adelaide to Glenelg line.

This busway work would get that started.
I don't live in the NE suburbs but I'm assuming that O-Bahn buses come from all throughout the area and then come onto the O-Bahn track and head into the city. There's no need for that to be a tram line. It might work as a train line but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the buses, and with those you can change and connect to the tram in the city anyway.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#52 Post by joshzxzx » Wed May 13, 2009 8:31 am

I live next to the O-Bahn, and I tell you what, I would much prefer the O-Bahn buses over trams. If we were to replace the buses with trams it would take substantially longer to get anywhere along that route, the buses go at approximately 100km(not sure on tram speed), so you could imagine that a trip from Tee Tree plaza to the city only takes a matter of minutes.
South Australia the Festival State

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #PRO: O-Bahn extension to West Tce

#53 Post by Ben » Wed May 13, 2009 8:42 am

Splashmo wrote:
peas_and_corn wrote:So it's not a track extension?
No, there won't be O-Bahn track along Grenfell St. Think of it as something of a Brisbane busway or how the bus runs down the middle of West Lakes Blvd.
Thank god for that. I was worried last night we were going to have a horrendous bus track through the centre of the city. I hope this is not just for obahn buses as there should have been a dedicated bus lane on grenfell/currie a long time ago.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by ozisnowman » Wed May 13, 2009 9:29 am

This could work but only if all buses using Grenfell Street use this dedicated buslane. This would then ensure that cars can then freely flow
using the two lanes. The main problem with Grenfell Street at the moment is the fact that busses are overtaking one another and cutting
in front of cars, causing one heck of a traffic jam. Will like to see how they solve this problem.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#55 Post by joshzxzx » Wed May 13, 2009 9:37 am

you know what would really be cool, if they had a tunnel in the city for all O-Bahn buses to escape and go onto the O-bahn, this would definitely reduce congestion in the city,
South Australia the Festival State

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by AtD » Wed May 13, 2009 9:43 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 568877.htm
O-Bahn extension a 'dramatic difference'

South Australia's Transport Minister, Pat Conlon, says an extension of the O-Bahn busway lanes to the city will make a dramatic difference to passengers.

Money from the federal Budget will be spent on creating dedicated O-Bahn busway lanes from Hackney Road to West Terrace.

Mr Conlon says he will sit down with officials today to work out the timing of the construction, expected to get under way this year.

"This is an enormous thing for people in the northern suburbs, you know they fly down that O-Bahn corridor, get to where it ends short of the city and everything grinds to a very slow movement," he said.

"So this will be a very big thing, we think we will increase patronage on the already busy O-Bahn very much."

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#57 Post by crawf » Wed May 13, 2009 10:39 am

Makes sense removing the median strip and replacing it with bus lanes.
O-Bahn busway extension through Adelaide CBD
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 87,00.html

The O-Bahn extension - hinted at by Premier Mike Rann on Twitter last week - will cost $61 million and will extend the route down Hackney Rd, up Rundle Rd, along East Tce, then through Grenfell St and Currie St to West Terrace.

However, the signature concrete tracks will not be used for the city extension.

Through Hackney Rd to Dequetteville Tce, the extension will be a single dedicated bus lane, directed in line with peak-hour traffic flows, while along Rundle Rd, Grenfell St and Currie St there will be dedicated twin bus lanes to replace the existing median strip.

The extension will quarantine O-Bahn buses from road traffic, speeding up travel times on what is Adelaide's most highly used public transport corridor.
:D

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#58 Post by jk1237 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:51 am

well this proposal has come from left field, but I think its a great idea :D

What I find odd is that there has never been even a hint from any state govt transport department of such an idea and then suddenly, BAM, it will start this year. Thankyou feds

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#59 Post by crawf » Wed May 13, 2009 10:57 am

The State Government did hint something like this in last year's budget.

It should of been done 20-30 years ago.

sacred_june
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Extending O-bahn

#60 Post by sacred_june » Wed May 13, 2009 11:13 am

AtD wrote:Copy-pasta for archive.
mmmmmmm...... thatsa mya favourite pasta