[COM] Highway Inn (Stage 2) | 4 Storeys | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #PRO: Highway Inn | $75m | 10lvls | Residential | Plympton

#61 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:53 pm

Norman wrote:Going past this today I saw some works taking place, not sure what they were being done for though.
Possibly the kerbing & drainage in the laneway...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#62 Post by Norman » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:12 pm

The works were more in the carpark, it looked like they were digging it up.

It was in this area: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 5&t=h&z=18

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#63 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Norman wrote:The works were more in the carpark, it looked like they were digging it up.

It was in this area: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 5&t=h&z=18
I was there today, but didn't notice anything in the car park, as I came from Barnacle Bill & behind the bottle shop. I'll watch the car park
carefully next time I visit the tram overpass site.

Just as a thought, was it the site fence where the antique shop was demolished (next to the car park) that you saw? The shop was
demolished a few weeks ago.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#64 Post by Ben » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:52 pm

From Planning SA website
Highway Inn site at North Plympton

Proponent: Palmer Group

Proposal description: A shopping centre and residential apartment complex to be developed on the 1.7 hectare 'Highway Inn' site at North Plympton.

The site is bordered by Anzac Highway and Marion Road, and is near the City-Glenelg tramline.

To be underpinned by Transit Orientated Development principles, the proposal comprises:

?Up to eight levels of residential apartments with associated car parking;
?A supermarket in the order of 3,250 m2 floor space;
?In the order of 1,500 m2 floor space of speciality retail shopping outlets incorporating cafes and restaurants;
?Public car parking spaces dispersed at street level and at basement level to serve the existing Highway Inn and the proposed development;
?Dedicated car parking for the residential apartments;
?Demolition of existing retail tenancies on Marion Road;
?Demolition of four residential properties on Elizabeth Avenue, which border the site to the South;
?A pedestrian plaza at street level between the retail elements and the Highway Inn;
?The use of contemporary architecture to invigorate the surrounding, underutilised land;
?The creation of a new streetscape for Elizabeth Avenue; to enhance amenity, safety and security through passive surveillance and increased activity;
?Enhanced streetscape links and shared-use paths linking the development to the Marion Road tram stop (approximately 120 metres to the South), upgraded bus shelters, provision of secure cycle storage; and linkages to the extensive cycle routes in the area;
?Sustainability features in order to achieve at least a 4 star Design rating for the shopping centre;
?Sustainability features in order to achieve a 5 star Design rating for the residential apartments; and
?Retention of the Highway Inn Hotel.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#65 Post by Brando » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:08 pm

Good to see this is being referred to as 'residential apartments' as opposed to an earlier announcement claiming 'serviced apartments'.

Now we can safely assume this will be a TOD.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#66 Post by Norman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks for that Ben. Great to hear that this is (at least somewhat) of a TOD. Also good to hear that the bus stops will be improved.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#67 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:01 pm

Brando wrote:Good to see this is being referred to as 'residential apartments' as opposed to an earlier announcement claiming 'serviced apartments'.

Now we can safely assume this will be a TOD.
Aye, it's starting to tick the boxes toward being a TOD. Have to see what develops (pun intended). ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#68 Post by Norman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:27 pm

The Development Report is available here: http://planning.sa.gov.au/download.cfm? ... 0F2030D46A
WARNING: 46MB

If that fails, check for the document here: http://planning.sa.gov.au/index.cfm?obj ... 114BC1E2D7

The document features some bigger renders.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by AtD » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:36 am

Thank's Norman. That document states in no uncertain terms that this is only serviced apartments. There'll even be a taxi-stand loading bay thing that all hotels have, so it's a stretch to call this a proper TOD.

That being said, it still looks like a good development. I've updated the thread headline to reflect the new details.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #PRO: Highway Inn | 8lvls 34m | Hotel | Plympton

#70 Post by AtD » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:59 am

For those who can't be bothered downloading the massive PDF:

The plan is a 2 level podium on the south of the site with a 6 level tower on the north edge of the podium.
Basement: Public car park for retail, accessed by a single ramp on the Marion Road side. Travellator access to the ground floor.
Ground: Supermarket, with about 20 retail tenancies, some facing internally into a mall and some facing externally. Mall entrances from the car park (north) and Elizabeth Street (south). Foyer/reception for apartments. Open air car park. :(
First: Large commercial tenancies in the tower. The podium is a supermarket store room, plant rooms, etc, and residents car parking, accessed from Elizabeth Street.
Second: 1 or 2 bedroom serviced apartments, landscaped section of the podium roof, swimming pool.
Levels 3-7: Presumably just 1, 2 bedroom or studio serviced apartments. Not much detail given, no sign of a penthouse.

The shadow diagram makes me fear we'll have the NIMBYs out for this one.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#71 Post by Will » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:56 pm

Hey Adam, I am short on time, so I just want to make sure. Is it really exactly 34m? Is there any chance some part of the structure (i.e. plant room) may reach 35m?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by AtD » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:37 pm

Will wrote:Hey Adam, I am short on time, so I just want to make sure. Is it really exactly 34m? Is there any chance some part of the structure (i.e. plant room) may reach 35m?
The top of the white roof fin thing is 33.8m.

I haven't read the entire thing, just skimmed over it very quickly, so I keep discovering new bits. Weirdly, the first 5 levels, including the retail podium, will be built in stage one. The next three levels are stage two and will be built subject to demand. These will be owner occupied apartments. So it's possible this could only be 5 levels and 29m.

hayseed
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#73 Post by hayseed » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:31 pm

Just another high rise glass and concrete beast that looks like just about every other "modern" construction.
Keep building them and you won't know if you are at Mawson Lakes, Holdfast Shores, Port Adelaide, in the centre of Adelaide etc etc .

It will do nothing for the appearance of the area but it is convenient for the sloths.
A few steps to the pub and not far to stagger back.
Not too far to the tram and even closer to the bus. Oh and don't forget the shopping centre across the road.

I can feel the heart attack already!

Oh, and I wonder how long before the Highway (Inn) is in trouble for making too much noise.
The building is also close to the flight path of the secondary runway at Adelaide Airport, has there been any mention of height restrictions?
:2cents:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#74 Post by Shuz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:23 pm

This building is further away from the runway, than the "Towers" complex on Anzac Highway, near Winifred Avenue/Grey Street intersection. I wouldn't worry about height limitations.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by AtD » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:53 pm

hayseed wrote:It will do nothing for the appearance of the area but it is convenient for the sloths.
A few steps to the pub and not far to stagger back.
Not too far to the tram and even closer to the bus. Oh and don't forget the shopping centre across the road.

I can feel the heart attack already!
So someone who walks the 200m to the tram stop is lazier than someone who walks 5m to their car? Riiiiiiiiiiight.