New portal launched - #bug reports here

Anything to do with the running of the website. (e.g. Suggestions, bugs, etc)
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: New portal launched - #bug reports here

#16 Post by Howie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:45 am

Did you get an error message? Can you tell me what version of IE you're running?

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by fabricator » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:15 pm

Site has been acting funny the past 3 hours or so.

In Firefox 3.5 it just sat there with a blank page trying to download something. I checked it did have the html downloaded, so something else like css or other external files causing problems.

In frustration I switched to IE, it was really slow for about 5 minutes.

I only got firefox working when I disabled javascript, but the gallery viewer on the front page doesn't work as a result, its black where the big image should be.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by Paulns » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:27 am

Howie wrote:Did you get an error message? Can you tell me what version of IE you're running?
Yes I did. It said, "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://www.sensational-adelaide.com, Operation aborted".
I think I have version 7?
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Howie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:30 am

Try shift going to the site and shift F5.. that'll refreshed the version of the site that was downloaded to your computer's memory. We removed the line of code that was causing the operation abort bug. If that doesn't work, you might want to clear your browser's cache.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by stelaras » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:47 am

Howie

was snooping around the site some more yesterday..

I had a few issues actually getting to the page (im running firefox) kept on timing out on me. It may have been my end of the connection since all our servers are being upgraded and we seem to be getting random dropouts all the time..

That said i love the Building database icon..it is a fantastic idea and a great way to summarise what is actually going on in our glorious city. It must have taken ages to build this page!!

My only issue is that it looks a bit messy at the moment. There is a lot of (at least on my computer) misalignment, particularly with all the options directly under the title (Adelaide Building Projects).

Also i find that the background image of the massively long crane and all the project details are overlapping, making reading the writing hard..it messes with my eyes a little

It would be a lot neater if these little issues were tidied up...

Good work Howie i commend you on your effort, having compiled and re-designed websites before i know how hard it is to collate all the information and re-organise it.

(I built a site map for a 300 page website not too long ago, it took me weeks to compile it all so that people were not losing themselves in the new site, but what was harder was collating all the information and designing all the pro-formas, so that we had continuity (http://WWW.SVI.EDU.AU is the site i designed and evolution 7 built ) Not bad for someone that is in the medical field and only worked on it during lunch breaks and afterhours .

edit i no longer work for that place...lol lol lol

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Howie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks for that.
stelaras wrote: My only issue is that it looks a bit messy at the moment. There is a lot of (at least on my computer) misalignment, particularly with all the options directly under the title (Adelaide Building Projects).

Also i find that the background image of the massively long crane and all the project details are overlapping, making reading the writing hard..it messes with my eyes a little

It would be a lot neater if these little issues were tidied up...
That's actually a site owned and administered by ATD of these forums. It's not actually on our server, we just wrapped it with our navigation bar at the top. Up to him if he wants to give it a spruce up.. but it's an amazing piece of work.. so big ups to AtD for that.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Howie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am

SVI site looks great btw stelaras. :)

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by stelaras » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Howie wrote:Thanks for that.
That's actually a site owned and administered by ATD of these forums.
Big kudos to ATD for that. That is an amazing piece of work keep up the good work ATD

but i still think it needs a tidy up!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by AtD » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:23 pm

I agree it needs a tidy up. My code monkey is working on it, just very slowly.

citybangbang
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#25 Post by citybangbang » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:39 pm

I am still having trouble with this site. I can't access home page using IE6. in repsonse to earlier question - I work for a large company and cannot upgrade browser - the IT department has to do it. When i type http://www.sensational-adelaide.com into the browser I am diverted to various sites asking me to upgrade my browser - which i can't do.
I can access the site only when i type http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/forum into the browser. Makes it difficult to navigate.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by Howie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:40 pm

citybangbang wrote:I am still having trouble with this site. I can't access home page using IE6. in repsonse to earlier question - I work for a large company and cannot upgrade browser - the IT department has to do it. When i type http://www.sensational-adelaide.com into the browser I am diverted to various sites asking me to upgrade my browser - which i can't do.
I can access the site only when i type http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/forum into the browser. Makes it difficult to navigate.
Okay i've removed the IE5+6 warning now. Let me know how you go at work, as I don't have IE6 to test with. Cheers.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by AtD » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:08 pm

Hey Howie, do you mind removing the frame boxing for the Building List? My "code monkey" (partner) won't be able to work on the site as much as I previously hoped. Damn economic recovery! :wink:

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Howie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:43 pm

Yep no worries, i'll get onto that.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by Paulns » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:40 am

Howie wrote:Thanks guys. We'll be reintroducing the latest forum threads module in the coming days/weeks.. i'm leaving the portal as simple as possible for the time being, to monitor the load on the server. We just had a crash about 10 minutes ago, I think it might have been me playing around with some modules on the front page.. so we'll see how it goes as it is for now.
Hi Howie,

I was just wondering when the latest forum threads module was going to return/updated again as was?
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Howie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:43 am

Just added it to my to-do list, not the highest on priority of things to do but we'll get to it shortly.